Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old April 8th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Question about Declawing (why is it bad)?

Okay, before I ask, let me tell you the reason behind the question:

I have never owned a cat, as I am allergic to them, and, I don't plan to own a cat. I would like to be educated on cat ownership though, as extra knowledge can never hurt!

I have read many posts lately about rescues that won't let you de-claw, and responses from people saying that they never would de-claw.....

Why is it a bad thing?

(My guess it that you are rendering the kitty defenseless....but, I wonder if there is more to it.)

** Reminder - I am asking this for info only....
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

besides rendering the animal defenseless having their claws removed is barbaric

think about it, ahving all your nails surgically removed against your choice would hurt quite alot .

I used to ahve a friend who had her cat declawed and the cat suffered from infection for quite sometime after its declawing.

I dont know what other negatives there are but those are the reason my cats all have their claws

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM

Thanks, that had also occurred to me (the removing of my nails.....ouch!)

I just wanted to make sure that was the reason, and, not something that I was totally unaware of....

I have to say that when we had Sheamus neutered, I couldn't help but think that there must be a better way than removing "ALL" of his man-hood!
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:17 AM

When a cat is declawed, it's not only the nail that's removed, as that can grow back (as yours would if it were pulled out). Rather, if you look at your finger, remove the last segment of your finger to ensure the nail NEVER grows back. That's what happens to a cat. Then, after your finger is chopped off, let's make you walk on your hands and bury your own feces. That's what a cat goes through.

So, IMO, declawing a cat is only for the comfort of man. It does nothing for the cat, other than leave it defenseless. When a cat is being attacked, it instinctivly lashes out with it's front claws. If it has no claws, all that is felt is a gentle "bap" of the paw and then the cat will be attacked as was intended.

Not to mention, climbing a tree becomes near to impossible, should the cat dash outside when the door is open.

All in all, it's a barbaric procedure that no vet should perform!

Just so you know, the pursuit of knowledge is never a bad thing! Asking questions is how people learn!!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:18 AM
banned user

It's not just about removing the nail... it's actually removal of the first part of the toe! It is definitely amputation in my book!
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:33 AM

When I was in highschool, I worked at a vet clinic during the summer holidays. At the time I was young and wasn't quite sure what the proceedure was for declawing. It didn't take long before I found out. I can tell you from first hand experience, this is a very cruel proceedure. Just as the others have already posted, it is equivalent to amputing the first digit of your finger or toe.

When the poor cat awoke from surgery, they were obviously in pain and had to be bandaged for a while so that they would not bleed. They couldn't even use regular litter, but had to have shredded newspapers so as to not cause them more pain.

I personally would never declaw my cat and I try my best to educate others who are considering having it done as to just how cruel it really is and to reconsider having it done.
Old April 8th, 2005, 10:43 AM

I really wish someone would take a picture of a cat in obvious distress, with bloody bandages from being declawed. Nothing speaks volumes like a photo. I would plaster it far and wide. (my stomach is just churning at the thought of a poor cat going through that pain) At the very least, a vivid picture, like that, really stands out in one's thoughts, when one thinks of "declawing".

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Closed Thread