Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 13th, 2004, 12:09 AM
no, I am not a chick!

Anyone from Ottawa here?

Hi everyone, I just came across this site, and thought I would sign up.

abit-o-bout me, I'm 24/m living and working in Ottawa. I originally grew up just west of Sudbury(parents still there)

I have a couple of Bala Sharks, and a very fun and lovable 2yr old Golden/Husky mix named Kona. Here's a pic of her
Attached Images

Old May 13th, 2004, 06:26 AM
banned user

Hi welcome!

Very sweet puppy you have there. Post pictures of the sharks too! i would love to see that!
Old May 13th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Kona Dawg,you have a beautiful dog,she'll fit in well in our"cute nose category"
I too would like to see your sharks,I am assuming they are teeeny ones
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:31 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Welcome welcome
Toronto here and a doggie mom of nearly 6mons old collie named Sadie!

Your Golden is absolutely beeeeeeeautiful!!

Welome to the board!
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome! Very pretty dog you have.
Old May 13th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the board. You have a very pretty dog. I have a cat named Tyi and two rats on named Mercy and the other one Grace. Welcome!
Old May 13th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Welcome. Very cute poochie.
Grew up in Kingston, but did spend a night sleeping on a bench in the Ottawa airport once. Waiting for a flight and thought there would be more 'ammenities' around there. Nope. Never been rousted by the cops so much in my life. They kept waking me up thinking I was homeless, until I showed them my ticket. Then they thought I was a moron for thinking there would be more than a Tim Horton's open after 9PM at night!!!!
Anyhooo, again, welcome.
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:48 AM
no, I am not a chick!

thanks for the warm welcome all,

I'll have to take some pics of the fish to post, but for now heres one I pulled from the net. Bala sharks aren't really sharks at all, they just kinda look like sharks. They're actually an african minnow, not too much unlike our shiner's
fully grown they reach about 12" in a 75 gal. aquarium, right now mine are in a 30 gal, and are only about 4-5" long
Attached Images

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:38 AM
Senior Contributor

welcome, welcome. oh oh kona looks like an absolute love, she is just adorable (she is a she isnt she).
sorry never been to Ottawa, and would get lost finding it i am sure. i live in the great sunny land of australia with my new husband and my (trying to learn to say 'our') beautiful 8yo GDS X girl named charlie (but she really is mine, we hae been together forever, and i just cant see it any other way, dont tell hubby the truth, he couldnt handle it). hope to have some nice chats with you here soon, you will find us all a lovely warm and happy bunch of ratbags (see 6 ratbags in above posts ) .
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:08 AM

Hey Kona, I'm from Ottawa too. I have a M/Boxer, he's 3 months old. I used to have Bala sharks too (I love sharks). Bala sharks are really nice aquarium fish, the best I've had. You're dog is very cute too!
Old May 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Kona!!! What a gorgeous baby you have!!! Sooo sweet!!! My friend has 2 bala sharks and she called me last night to tell me they were now 8 inches long!!! They started out about 1.5 .......holy crap eh?? They will keep growing to fit her tank - yikes!!!

Enjoy the forum, ignore the idiots, and have fun!!! You are one of a few men on here and they definately keep us laughing!!! Welcome again!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:54 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Hey melanie, where abouts in oz do you live, I have an aunt and uncle just north of Melbourne, and a cousin whos a police officer in Sydney. Hoping to take a little vacation out there in a couple of years...(so tell me, hows the fall treating you hahaha)

cutelittlemako, what area of Ottawa are you in?, I'm basically Merrivale and Meadowlands, just started bringing Kona out to Bruce pit on the weekends(recently moved from the east end)
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

hey catt how did you know he was a man? you psychic or what ??

Kona it is soooo cold here i need to run away. it is getting so low 20F and 30F and i am not good at handling cold weather (and i am a real whinger about it too) i did grow up in cold places (melbourne, NZ) but that was a few moons ago and i have lived in a tropical area up north (nimbin/lismore) for the past 5 years, so lets say i want to move back again (dont tell your cousin i lived near nimbin, it will not do much for my credability, bloody hippies, sheesh ). is your cousin an aussie, can you be a copper here if your not??
well i live about 2 hours south of Sydney in a rather odd place called Tahmoor, it is like one big truckstop, but we have the best birds, we have been here 1 year now and hopefully not too much longer.
a trip to oz, yay. let us all know when you do. this is quite the international site so you will meet lots of yummy people from everywhere,funnily enough this board gave me the opertunity to speak to my first canadian and american people ever, i once said hello to a canadian but that was it (i am not a hick, we live in the country, not many of those nationalities here, they would be have to be mad as cut snakes to live here ), cities such Sydney and Melbourne are the center for most international immagrants (and lots of bad spellers here too )..
and again welcome, to our happy, crazy little worlds
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:34 PM
no, I am not a chick!

My Dads sister moved to oz in the mid sixties, met a guy, married him and had a Daughter she called Joy(thinkin she was abit of a hippy herself) Joy has since
had her name changed to Jo and the parents split up. My Aunt met another guy about ten years ago and they married about 2 yrs ago. No definitive plans yet,
but they constantly bug me when I'm coming there for a visit, they make it here
every year! Guess I have to bite the bullet and go there some time eh?

Geeze what a rough life...hehe
Old May 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup I is!!! LOL

Actually when he introduced himself, he said 24/m....I'm assuming the m means male and not maltreated or malnurished or mad or moronical....or.....hahhaha I could go on forever!!!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

ooops, dont i look the fool, maybe it is for malnurished or mad, i wonder?
thanks catt, one day i might just learn to read properly. daaaa
oh and i aint no hippy, just tolerate them and have to live with them, i used to hate hippies with a passion (young angsty teen), but living with them has taught me a hell of alot about people and their ways, and what i think is not so cool may just work for the next person and who am i to judge or consider it different, hey they might just see me as a little freaky too
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:24 PM

I live in Gloucester, i'm not very familiar with the west end, so I never go there. I don't got to parks yet, Mako is pretty small (12 weeks old). We go to puppy training classes to get him socialized.
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

LMAO Mel!! You Aussie's & Kiwi's crack me up!!! I have a penpal from NZ that I have never met, but have been writing and emailing for about 22 years!! What brings the hippies to the town you live in? (like what jobs or recreation areass)??

Mako - you might be wise to never take your pup to the doggy parks!!! It may just be safer!! What type of dog is it again? (I forget)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:30 AM

He's a Boxer. I heard that there is a park around here where alot of boxer owners take their dogs. Apparently Boxers have a special way of playing together. I will eventually bring him to dog parks, my neighbour's dog was operated on from hip dysplasia, and something in his from elbow and she brings him to the dog park and he's fine, so I think the trick is to find the right one. Mako loves other dogs, especially big ones, so I'd like to keep him that way. Boxers NEED to be socialized alot, otherwise they turn into the dogs you want to avoid at all costs in the dog parks .
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

ah catt, we are just a fun loving bunch of larikins us aussies (my family are kiwis). no there are no jobs in nimbin, no one works there except a few shop owners, farmers and the police everone else is on welfare or students or sell drugs for income. Nimbin is located in the most northern part of the state of New South Wales (near byron bay which is one of our most famous areas for dropouts and backpackers). for a long time it was a very successful dairy farming areas as it is tropical and lush green. in the 60's nimbin had a huge influx of hippies who established a large amount of comunes in the area. this sent the farmers crazy who, 40 years later have mostly left the area although a few still remain there (and they are pretty cranky). today nimbin is still a little hippie town and has become australias famous drug town, it is a little like amsterdam with dope being sold in cafes and everywhere else.. they have a big gunga (another name for dope) festival each year which is attended by thousands, hemp cafe, the hemp museum and the list goes on, this is what draws the tourists. it is not legal but it brings a huge tourst trade so it is left alone. the people of nimbin are very laid back and it is in general a nice warm community, BUT in the 90's other drugs started appearing in nimbin and sadly alot of junkies (you have to wear shoes in parks and on grass because of needles) are there now who have totally destroyed much of nimbins beautiful community and brought crime. but in australia if you tell people you come from there they often laugh and treat you as if you are a freak or tree huggin hippie. nimbin has alot of alternative people and new environmentally sound technologies so it is not all bad, but it is the most beautiful area i have ever lived (although honestly in town it is a little smelly, it smells like unwashed people and stale odour, yuck). now i am not a druggo of any kind but i do like to live an alternative lifestyle with out judgement, that is what the area allowed me to do, live how i wanted to in freedom. for all its bad, it is a really pretty and loving place and i miss it dearly (and my friends there) if you ever come here it is a must in any travelers itinery (even if it is just for a visit to the sunday markets)
Old May 19th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Catt31] areass)?? QUOTE]

LMAO @ my own Freudian slip!!! Heheheheheh Not sure why I find that sooo funny!!

Sounds like a cool little place Mel!! Are drugs legal in Aus?

Mako - I agree with you that you need to socialize your dog, for sure!! And its nice that you have a park that caters to mostly boxers - thats pretty cool!! Good luck with your little one, keep us posted on his progress and post some pics!!!

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:00 PM
Senior Contributor

legal drugs in australia include alchol and tobacco, all other (non prescription) drugs are illeagal except in 2 states (the australian capital territory (ACT) and in western australia WA) where marajuana (aka mary jane aka just about everything else)) is decriminalised, that means you can have a small amount of it for personal use and grow a small amout (2 plants) but no large amounts and no selling, and no huge crops. nimbin is in NSW where it is soon to be decriminalised but still ileagal, but due to the style of town (try telling someone there what to do, they just ignore you) and the tourist trade they are allowed to get away with it, they once tried to do a bust out there in the shops and the police were soon surrounded by hundreds of screaming protestors so they dont bother anymore (nimbin has been the same for 40yrs), only for heroine and those nasty things which is very acceptable to me, those drugs destroy lives. it is a cool place except for the smell and some bad apples, and ohhhhh soooo pretty .
mako you are lucky to have that park, it must be nice for boxer owners who would get a bit of crap at normal parks and it will help to have other owners to talk to