Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 31st, 2013, 12:17 AM

Danger in cat eating wasps?

Hi everyone.

I looked here and there on Google and others but can't really find a solid answer...

Here is the situation: With summer ending it seems that wasps are getting more and more eager to enter my house...
I usually leave my front patio door open (this where I have my office and where I spend my time on my computer) and lately I noticed that 4 or 5 wasps enter every night and just hang out on the walls and ceiling.
(I have no screen door, as it is not permitted to have screen doors on front patios in my area, I know, this is really stupid, but the city thinks they are an eyesore for the neighborghood... Whatever).
I usually also have any 2 cats with me in my office and they do chase other bugs and night butterflies and eat them.

My concern is: I caught my cats chasing wasps and nearly eating them!
Can this be harmfull to them?
Can the wasp sting them in the mouth or otherwise?
Would it be bad if it happened?
I know that if we humans get stung it hurts and burns but asides from the temporary pain, no great deal of harm is done.

I read all sorts of things on internet about this and can't seem to get a real answer.
Does anyone know about this?

I try to kill the wasps as I see them in my office, (no, I do not like killing animals of any kind, but wasps seem to really like stinging me as I usually get 6 or 7 stings per summer, so I do kill them when they come in the house), they are usually easy to spot since my cats just get up and start staring in that direction, but I am still concerned of what would happen if they caught one...
Asides from the painfull discomfort my cat would experience is it dangerous?

Thanks for your input.

sandyrivers
Elphin April 21st 2008 m -cat
Stibule(Gino,Airell,Katla,Rasta)June 6th 2009 f- cat
Gino Ferrero April 8th 2010 m -cat
Airell Awenn Awnfenn Ep Berrth April 8th 2010 f- cat
Katla Chilam Balam April 8th 2010 f- cat
Rasta Farian Marley April 9th 2010 m- cat
Chipcat-Filou found June 12th 2011 (Ocicat 6months old) f-cat
Jane the Snow Cat rescued Dec27th 2012 f- cat

Last edited by sandyrivers; August 31st, 2013 at 12:22 AM. Reason: add info
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:01 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I do believe that like some humans, some cats are allergic to bee stings.
An allergic cat 'might' have a bad allergic reaction to a bee sting and in the worst of cases that reaction might involve respiratory distress possibly leading to death if left untreated.

On the other hand, if the cat is not allergic to bee stings but gets enough of them in the wrong part of the body - neck mouth....that too might be dangerous as the neck can swell and hamper breathing.

(I guess the key question is, is your cat allergic to bees...and I'm assuming only an allergy test will reveal this).

If I were you....I'd get that screen anyway. That's 100% sure.

This no screen policy is beyond stupid...and is discriminatory on multiple levels. (Is this a city rule - which city I gotta know...or a condo/townhouse rule?)
(Richer people can afford air conditioning more easily....and I guess it's okay to have 6 hideous air conditioners popping out of a window but no screen door?) Beyond stupid, says Marko.

here's a link with pics that might be helpful.
http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Bee-Sting-to-a-Cat
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 31st, 2013, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrivers View Post
Hi everyone.

I looked here and there on Google and others but can't really find a solid answer...

Here is the situation: With summer ending it seems that wasps are getting more and more eager to enter my house...
I usually leave my front patio door open (this where I have my office and where I spend my time on my computer) and lately I noticed that 4 or 5 wasps enter every night and just hang out on the walls and ceiling.
(I have no screen door, as it is not permitted to have screen doors on front patios in my area, I know, this is really stupid, but the city thinks they are an eyesore for the neighborghood... Whatever).
I usually also have any 2 cats with me in my office and they do chase other bugs and night butterflies and eat them.

My concern is: I caught my cats chasing wasps and nearly eating them!
Can this be harmfull to them?
Can the wasp sting them in the mouth or otherwise?
Would it be bad if it happened?
I know that if we humans get stung it hurts and burns but asides from the temporary pain, no great deal of harm is done.

I read all sorts of things on internet about this and can't seem to get a real answer.
Does anyone know about this?

I try to kill the wasps as I see them in my office, (no, I do not like killing animals of any kind, but wasps seem to really like stinging me as I usually get 6 or 7 stings per summer, so I do kill them when they come in the house), they are usually easy to spot since my cats just get up and start staring in that direction, but I am still concerned of what would happen if they caught one...
Asides from the painfull discomfort my cat would experience is it dangerous?

Thanks for your input.

sandyrivers

I would call your vet and see how much Benadryl you can give to a cat just encase it get an allergic reaction from a wasp stung. If your cat does get an reaction it can kill your cat. I had a dog that got stung by bee and she came home vomiting and swollen up . The vet said my 35 lbs dog would had been dead within a hour if she was not brought in .

I can't believe what I read about your city not allowing people to have screen doors , does your city think it's healthy to allow insects and rodents getting into your house and food? People should got the health department and demand them to get this rule overturned. Your city does have a health department??
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:20 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your in put on the cats and wasp stings.

As for my city rules, I live on a 3rd floor unit and only the people on the ground floors are allowed screen doors.

I am not aware of which city 'law' this is, but two people on my street had screen doors on their 3rd floor units and were asked to take them off...

As for a/c, I would not have it for anything in the world, I prefer to have the breeze and even if it's a heatwave, fans do fine for me.

But ok, lets forgo the city's stupid rules and see if any one has more to say about the wasps!

sandyrivers
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks for your in put on the cats and wasp stings.

As for my city rules, I live on a 3rd floor unit and only the people on the ground floors are allowed screen doors.

I am not aware of which city 'law' this is, but two people on my street had screen doors on their 3rd floor units and were asked to take them off...

As for a/c, I would not have it for anything in the world, I prefer to have the breeze and even if it's a heatwave, fans do fine for me.

But ok, lets forgo the city's stupid rules and see if any one has more to say about the wasps!

sandyrivers

That is way beyond stupid not be allowed to have a screen door because you live on the third floor.

http://pets.thenest.com/bugs-poisonous-cats-9746.html here is web site I found and there are more to check out. it said a cat can dies if they have an reaction to a wasp stung and should be take a vet right away. I really don't think there much more that can be said . If I would you I would call my vet so they can tell what you need to do if your cat eat a wasp or get stung by one. They know your cat better than we do.

Last edited by Barkingdog; August 31st, 2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:18 PM

I've been lucky not to have had any wasps in the house all these years, because there are lots of them around - and because other 'not-so-nastys' have squirmed their way in......to their demise, of course!

I've seen a large dog react to a wasp sting in the paw - it wasn't pretty, so I would really...really not like to see one of the cats go through it.

The dog 'went ballistic'...pain vocalizations that I'd never heard before, and running every which way. I had Benadryl liquid on hand and managed to get a few tablespoonfulls into him.

I really can't imagine trying to get anything into a cat in the early stages of a sting reaction...after a period, possibly, but with help.

The problem with oral administration of anything is the time lag between ingestion and absorption - the fastest action is to be had by injection. If you feel there is a real danger of a sting, I'd say talk to your Vet and get a short course (demo, really) on how to do that, then have some syringes and injectible Benadryl on hand. Otherwise, for oral administration, tablets would be best. The liquid is extremely bitter and you'll produce huge drooling.

Then, you may need to deal with the stinger...extracting it without more venom profusion...here's a link with a how-to do that: What to Do When Your Cat Gets Stung by a Bee

Here's the info for Benadryl dosing (page bottom) Benadryl® - PetPlace.com
Old August 31st, 2013, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

My last dog stepped on a bee and he pulled it out his own and I just brought him to a vet to get a Benadryl shot for his itchy skin. I now try to remember to watch where I walk Marty , if I walk on him the grass I look out for bees going after the clovers .
Old September 2nd, 2013, 01:55 AM

Hi,

I must say Rustycat that your cat is downright gorgeous!

And thanks to all for the advice.

I am due for a vet visit this week and will definitly bring up the issue with him.

The pages link were also very instructive.

sandyrivers
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I must say Rustycat that your cat is downright gorgeous!
Oh, he isn't one of my crowd....that pic is from the link I gave you...an example of a sting victim. Did you notice his right foot?
Old September 2nd, 2013, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Rustycat,
I came home once to find about 10 hornets in my home. They had build
a nest in A/C ! I called my condo management and they came over to spray
my A/C from outside and about 100 hornets came flying out of it . I am so glad I had not used it in the summer or I would of had a house filled with
angry hornets!