Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 26th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Pets and Their Pregnant Guardians

I've got two dogs and a cat, and am 6 months pregnant. They didn't seem to act very different at the beginning but now they all seem OBSESSED with me. They follow me around all day, when they sit next to me, they have to lean on me, it's really funny! My cat is especially infatuated; he finds me multiple times a day and lays on me and kneads my neck, and if at first I don't let him, he sits next to me until I give in.

They all have always been a major part of my day, but it is very noticeable now. Maybe I'm putting off a more vulnerable vibe the bigger I get?

Anyone else's pets act strange when they were pregnant?
Old September 27th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Never had a pet when I was pregnant, but it doesn't surprise me that you see this in yours. They can certainly sense the change in your body and are reacting to it. Aren't they amazing!
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM

I didn't have pets when pregnant, however, I was in close contact with someone who did, and that little dog would follow me all over the place, and wanted to be on my lap

The day I went into labour, I was over there, and that little dog was very nervous, wouldn't let me even go into the bathroom by myself.

She did settle down after the baby was born, I kind of figured, that the mothering instinct was taking over.

If I have been ill, my cats are constantly snuggling up beside me, and will even try to wash me when I have a fever.

It is kind of annoying at the time, but I do believe they know something is changing, and are telling you they are aware of it and trying to comfort you.

take care
binky
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

What a sweet mental image of your kitty massaging you!

Animals never cease to amaze me. Our 2 are the same. Though I've never been pregnant, if any one of us isn't feeling well, both boys are right there trying to snuggle and just be close. How could any one not be completely in love with such beautiful creatures (inside and out).

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Senior Contributor

my cat (many moons ago) use to have to always sleep on my belly and my chi would curl up against it while I was preggers, when my daughter was pregnant 2 1/2 yrs ago, Brina our dog followed her everywhere and would paw at her belly, she's just started it again (daughter is 10 weeks pregnant) so yes, I do believe they know.
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If dogs can smell cancer, they sure can smell a change in hormones.

I had 2 cats and a dog while I was pregnant and they didn't really change during or after I had my daughter. My pets always snuggled on the couch and in bed.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

brina greets my daughter at the door everyday (which is normal) but now she puts her nose on her belly when she tries to walk around her *L* its like a magnet.
Old September 27th, 2011, 01:58 PM
Floppy Dog

Oh yeah, do they ever know something's up. Family legend has it that when my mom was pregnant with me she was very sick (close to dying sick). Our GSD, Maxi, never let mom out of his sight. When she went into the hospital to deliver me, Maxi refused to eat, drink or sleep until my dad managed to wheel my mom to the hospital door so Maxi could see and hear that she was alright.

When I was pregnant, my 2 cats were always close to me when I was at home. After Beena was born, 1 cat would sleep in her crib (when she wasn't in it) and the other would sit on my lap when I was nursing.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

my cat slept at the foot of my daughters crib, our picnic table was outside her window and when she'd wake up , Mindy (cat) would paw the window to get our attention.
Old September 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Cute stories!

Animals are amazing! My old boss told me that her doberman pinscher was so overwhelmed by instincts that she would steal kittens from neighboring farms and try to nurse them. When my boss gave birth to her first child, she couldn't have him on the floor because her dog would try to nurse her baby... I'm suspicious now while writing that out that maybe the dog was being dominant, but who knows!

Everyday, the dogs muscle each other out of the way and sit leaning against my legs, staring at me with this look of...something in their eyes. I think it's anticipation!

I am really excited for everyone to meet our new family member! My younger dog has never met a baby before, so it will be interesting to see how she reacts! Something tells me she will be intimidated, but will warm up after a while.

I'm hoping that Luna will make it until the baby comes, but with three months to go, it's hard to say how she'll hold up. I remember the first time she met a baby, it was so cute. I was nervous because she had never met any before, but she walked up to the carrier, gave the baby a thorough smell, licked his forehead and went on with her business.