Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 5th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Damien

Well i called her sat..It was so hard not to go see him this weekend..She said he is doing great,said he can carry bowls without spilling a thing,teaching him when and when he cannot go on bed,she has an ad coming out this weekend,and someone is stopping by today that is interested in seeing him,he works with service dogs and wants to meet damien...Miss him so much,dont think it will ever get better..................
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heidi you keep thinking it won't get better and it won't!

Be positive girl!! Do you ever self assure yourself!!
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

I know Luba,the tears have stopped so i guess that is a start,i am just trying to grasp the fact that most likely i wont get to see him again,and as bad as some of the things he did were,there are sooo many cute things he did,that every now and then hit me....and i just get this sinking feeling in my gut.................
Old July 5th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think you would make a great candidate for volunteering at a local shelter to spend time loving and walking dogs. You have a lot of love to give, to share with these dogs while they await their new homes. Spending human interaction time, makes dogs more easily adoptable...you could give tremendously

It's very rewarding!!
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and i just get this sinking feeling in my gut.................
When I lost my cat I had the same thing... don't worry, you get over it after about a year.

Maybe Damien will get to be a service dog, or even a Seeing eye dog? Wow, wouldn't that be exciting!
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

That's an excellent idea Luba, you should look into that Heidi, and it would be fun too!!!

You definately need to stop being so hard on yourself! YOU HAVE DONE THE RIGHT THING, even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

I once had a husky; her name was Phoenix. She was the most WONDERFUL dog ever. We had a great time together. I was moving away to school and knew that for the dog's well being she would be better off with someone that would of had the time and ability to care for her properly. I was going into a very intese program and I had LONG hours at school and due to costs I had to move into a small basement apartment - ABSOLUTELY not the best situation for a husky pup. I made the heart wrenching decision to move her to a farm with very good friends of mine that raced huskies - they were the family that I adopted Phoenix from.
I was young, and wasn't thinking ahead, I made that mistake, and didn't feel that the dog should suffer for my mistake.

That's just my story - you're not alone in this, most of us have had the task in one situation or another. The one thing that we do have in common is that in some way we've been able to heal those holes in our hearts and fill them with other good things. Maybe not right away, but eventually you will see that you've done the best for you and for Damien; you both will be happy! - this kinda turned into LONG post - Sorry!!!!
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Just think of Damien spending his days learning, working, being with other dogs and people in stimulating surroundings.

Then think of him spending all his days sitting alone and isolated in a crate.

You know you've done the right thing.
Old July 5th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess also knowing he is having fun makes it better,when i called he was sleeping she said he just got done playing for about two hours straight with his new buddy pinto,she was telling me about the service dog deal and that could be the happiest ending i could hear,the guy should be going there today to meet him,maybe in time i could go see him..He is just so smart would hate for it not to be put to good use..I did volunteer about 6 years ago at the humane society here,i did like it but also was very hard to do,seeing people drop off there pets,i swear the pets know the owners are not coming back,i went there last week and it is just soooo sad,all the dogs there,MY GOD,the sad looks on there face,i dont know if i could do that again with feeling a sense of overwhelming sadness...........I went to petsmart sat,i will probably get a kitten or older cat,they bring them there on the weekends from rescue places,i do love cats had my own when i was about 12...Her name was spot,i will probably just need a refresher from my mom,she still has her cat fancy[12 years old]I just think that would be the best for me in an apt.....God they were so cute,just want to wait a little longer...Thanks for your story i know i am not the only one that had to do something like this,it is the first time i ever had to and the last......
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Sammiec, your post may have been long, but you said it well. Every word was important and so, so true!

I just want to mention one thing about the dogs at Petsmart. About 8 years ago, I began volunteering at my local animal services auxiliary. I was one of the volunteers that picked up the dogs and took them to Petsmart to be seen and hopefully adopted. What bothered me is that we had to pick them up as is, which meant, dirty and smelly. I tried to brush out some of the longer haired ones as we sat there in the store. I really think people would have spent more time with them and given them a second look if they could have been more presentable. I also think the dogs themselves would have had more confidence.
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah they only had cats and kittens and they looked fine,which cats are always clean anyway,i would love to save a dog from the shelter but i just think in an apt. a cat is more suited to live in one....
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

p.s What also makes it harder is someone told me this weekend that what damien was doing is just testing me and being a puppy,they said at about a year old it gets better,WELL that is what i didnt want to hear,cause now i do think what if it would of changed when he was about a year,NO i am not gonna change my mind,it just does make me think WHAT IF....On the flipside i also know if it didnt change he would be hard to adopt out...
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
Sammiec, your post may have been long, but you said it well. Every word was important and so, so true!

I just want to mention one thing about the dogs at Petsmart. About 8 years ago, I began volunteering at my local animal services auxiliary. I was one of the volunteers that picked up the dogs and took them to Petsmart to be seen and hopefully adopted. What bothered me is that we had to pick them up as is, which meant, dirty and smelly. I tried to brush out some of the longer haired ones as we sat there in the store. I really think people would have spent more time with them and given them a second look if they could have been more presentable. I also think the dogs themselves would have had more confidence.
Thanks.

A friend of mine bought a dog from Petsmart, the ONLY reason that she bought it was because they were unable to sell him and he had gotten so big that he was hunched over in the cell that they give these poor animals. Covered in poop and stinky she brought him home and loved him ever since!! !(That's Brigg's boyfriend Brody that I've posted pic of on here before...)
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
p.s What also makes it harder is someone told me this weekend that what damien was doing is just testing me and being a puppy,they said at about a year old it gets better,WELL that is what i didnt want to hear,cause now i do think what if it would of changed when he was about a year,NO i am not gonna change my mind,it just does make me think WHAT IF....On the flipside i also know if it didnt change he would be hard to adopt out...
Damien could be testing you Heidi, BUT you said yourself that you can't afford training him, that's what he needs for you to be the dominant person. He need professional training. You've done the right thing, please try not to second guess yourself, it's just going to make things harder!!
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

I know,he is where he should be,and your right about the secondguessing,i just cant help it....I try not to do it,but i have a feeling this will all turn out good,i would love to see him go to a good home,tina said i could also see applicants info if i want,and she said some people will let you have there #.I would just like to see him in a few months..........
Old July 5th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidiho, don't go there. Secondguessing will just tear you apart. You did the right thing for Damien. The proof is that he's doing well and you just have to trust your decision. I'm also guessing that may have been why you still had issues with your ex coming back into your life. You need to know "when to hold them and when to fold them". I think you love deeply and it's hard for you to let go when you need to. Doing the right thing isn't the easy way out, for sure.
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Glasslass you are gooooodddd,if you only knew what a sh$^& my ex is,i know i need to let go....I am a scorpio we love hard and to only ONE person,very dedicated you know,i just put alot of time [training] and love into damien,he was my BOY and now someone else is gonna have him..uhhhhhhhh!!!!
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Thumbs up

I'm a Scorpio too! Give yourself time and look forward!
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

When is your b-day??? I am oct.29.... I know eventually it will get easier....thanks
Old July 5th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Nov. 14th

Next time, go for a Libra. I've had good luck with mine. Well balanced - able to "buffer" a Scorpio!
Old July 5th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah i will thanks,this one is italian and a picses,no offense to italians,but he was the first and last italian for me,meanest sob i have ever dated....