Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

What do you think?

Well I have been doing some research on Clark and I am thinking he may be a Valley Bulldog not an American Bulldog. Here is a link tell me what you think. Of course here is Clark

Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:26 AM
-

All I see is Boxer in him but I'm not too familiar with those breeds.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

It seems to me the Valley Bulldog has more of a boxer look and I think Clark looks more boxerish

Last edited by mastifflover; May 22nd, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:10 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

He does look boxerish...longer snout/face (well, longer then eng bd )

Clark, what a cute name.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:12 PM
Investigative researcher

See no link in your post, and am assuming you meant Valley again in the second one and not Village. This what you are talking about?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Bulldog
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Duh I forgot the link thanks DoubleRR
http://bulldogbreeds.com/bullbreeds.html
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Like Frenchy,I know nothing about these puppers,to me Clark just looks cute
Old May 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM
banned user

Im thinking he's a american bulldog.. The link is to a breeder who is very experianced, you could probably email them a picture and ask them. And check out the pictures of their dogs!http://www.joshuakennels.com/moreinfo.htm
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:01 AM

Comparing the pic here http://bulldogbreeds.com/valleybulldog.html to your first one I'd say Clark looks more Valley bulldog than American bulldog.

I'm guessing your second pic he was jumping or something and his ears are not normally up like that? Have you a pic w/his ears in a relaxed/foward normal position? (like when you say "cookie?" )

bulldogbreeds.com say the Valley bulldog originated as a cross btwn the english bulldog and a boxer.

A neighbour of my mum's had an American Bulldog (like Chase in Homeward Bound) little to no wrinkling on the muzzle and they are taller and alot less stockier than the Valley, and English bulldogs.

American bulldog males range from 22-27 inches, Valley bulldog males range from 15-22 inches English bulldogs 12-14 inches

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Growler if he would stay still long enough to get a pic that would be a feat in itself. But I am leaning towards Valley as well so that is what he is I have decided. He does not look like the Americans I know. His head seems to be a different shape then the American. Oh well he is cute and cuddly and loves me and I love him thats all that really matters
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:17 PM

Mastifflover, he certainly resembles most of the Valley Bulls I have met here. The majority of them have a strong
Boxer resemblance, with more muscling than typical of a boxer. Beautiful boy!!
Old May 24th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
Growler if he would stay still long enough to get a pic that would be a feat in itself. But I am leaning towards Valley as well so that is what he is I have decided. He does not look like the Americans I know. His head seems to be a different shape then the American. Oh well he is cute and cuddly and loves me and I love him thats all that really matters
Yeah holding still can be a big issue esp if you need to use the word cookie for the pic you want

I would say for sure Clark is not an American bulldog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottnmom View Post
Mastifflover, he certainly resembles most of the Valley Bulls I have met here. The majority of them have a strong
Boxer resemblance, with more muscling than typical of a boxer. Beautiful boy!!
The second pic really shows the boxer background, as mentioned above they say Boxer x English Bulldog = Valley Bulldog

and rottnmom you're right Clark is a handsome boy, mastifflover my apologies for not mentioning that most important fact sooner

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

American Bulldogs have two types, if I'm not mistaken, standard (or Scott) and Johnson, some dogs being a hybrid of the two types. I honestly can't remember which has the "boxer-y" type muzzle and which has the longer (often mistaken for a large APBT) type, but here is the breed standard from the American Bulldog Association:

Quote:
1997 Revisions: Our former term of "Scott" for the standard type AB has led to much confusion. Many of the dogs referred to as Scott type have very little or no Scott background whatsoever. My personal dogs are mostly Scott (Painter)/Johnson hybrids, and it was presumptuous and confusing on my part to designate all non-Johnson dogs as being the Scott-type, when many were Bailey/Williamson/ Tate/Tuck combinations. Henceforth the non-Johnson type will be referred to as the "standard" type. Although the vast majority of purebred ABs are 75 to 100% white, there are a few that have less than 25% white. Our standard is now amended to say "All white, pied, or up to 90% color [brindle or red patches, (red is defined as any shade of tan, brown or red)], with a portion of the white on the head." This seems to be a more accurate reflection taking into account the rarer color form. Our standard was designed as a description of the breed rather than a "perfection to aspire to" as others claim theirs to be.

Background: The American Bulldog originated as a catchdog (mostly cattle) and property protection dog, in America’s Southeast. He was not bred to put on threat displays or to look a certain way. But, he did need the right equipment to take care of his real bulldog duties which were confrontational personal and property protection and as a catch dog. He needed to be strong enough to put unruly bulls on the ground and athletic enough to catch hogs that were allowed to free range in a semi-wild state.

General Appearance: The American Bulldog should generate the impression of great strength, agility, endurance and exhibit a well-knit, sturdy, compact frame with the absence of excessive bulk. Males are characteristically larger, heavier boned and more masculine than the bitches. The AB is a white or white and patched (brindle or red) dog. When patched he can range from the traditional pied markings of a patch over one or both eyes or ears, or a patch on the base of the tail, to a large saddle patch and various other patches.
For judging purposes, distinctions between an ideal "Standard-type" and an ideal "Johnson-type" are defined in brackets and in bold.

Size: General: Males - 23 to 27 inches at the withers and weigh from 75 to 120 lbs. Females - 21 to 25 inches at the withers, 60 to 90 lbs. The weight should be proportional to size.
[Standard-type: an ideal male should be 23 to 27 inches at the withers and/ weigh from 75 to 110 lbs., females, 21 to 25 inches, 60 to 85 lbs. The weight should be proportional to size.]
[Johnson-type: an ideal male should be 22 to 26 inches at the withers and weigh from 80 to 120 lbs. Females 20 to 24 inches, 60 to 90 lbs.]

Head: Medium in length and broad across skull with pronounced muscular cheeks.

Eyes: Medium in size. Any color. The haw should not be visible. Black eye rims preferred on white dogs. Pink eye rims to be considered a cosmetic fault.

Muzzle: Medium length (2 to 4 in.), square and broad with a strong underjaw. Lips should be full but not pendulous. 42 to 44 teeth.
[Standard-type: tight undershot (reverse scissors) preferred. Scissors and even bites are considered a cosmetic fault. Structural faults are a muzzle under 2 inches or longer than 4 inches, pendulous lips, less than 42 teeth, more than 1/4 inch undershot, small teeth or uneven incisors.]
[Johnson-type: definite undershot, 1/8 to 1/4 inch preferred. Scissors or even bite is a disqualification. Structural faults are a muzzle under 2 inches or over 4 inches.]

Nose color: black or grizzle. On black nosed dogs the lips should be black with some pink allowed. A pink nose to be considered a cosmetic fault.

Ears: Cropped or uncropped. Uncropped preferred.

Neck: Muscular, medium in length, slightly arched, tapering from shoulders to head, with a slight dewlap allowed.

Shoulders: Very muscular with wide sloping blades, shoulders set so elbows are not angled out.

Chest, Back and Loin: The chest should be deep and moderately wide without being excessively wide as to throw the shoulders out. The back should be of medium length, strong and broad. Loins should be slightly tucked which corresponds to a slight roach in the back which slopes to the stern. Faults: sway back, narrow or shallow chest, lack of tuck up.

Hindquarters: Very broad and well muscled and in proportion to the shoulders. Narrow hips are a very serious fault.

Legs: Strong and straight with heavy bone. Front legs should not set too close together or too far apart. Faults: in at the elbows or excessively bowlegged. Rear legs should have a visible angulation of the stifle joint.

Movement: The gait is balanced and smooth, powerful and unhindered suggesting agility with easy, ground covering strides, showing strong driving action in the hind quarters with corresponding reach in front. As speed increases the feet move toward the center line of the body to maintain balance. Ideally the dog should single-track. The top line remains firm and level, parallel to the line of motion. Head and tail carriage should reflect that of a proud, confident and alert animal.

Movement faults: Any suggestion of clumsiness, tossing and/or rolling of the body, crossing or interference of front or rear legs, short or stilted steps, twisting joints, pacing, paddling, or weaving. Similar movement faults are to be penalized according to the degree to which they interfere with the ability of the dog to work.

Feet: Of moderate size, toes of medium length, well arched and close together, not splayed. Pasterns should be strong, straight and upright.

Tail: Set low, thick at the root, tapering to a point. Tail should not curl over back. Docked or undocked.

Coat: Short, close, stiff to the touch, not long and fuzzy.

Color: All white, pied, or up to 90% color [brindle or red patches, (red is defined as any shade of tan, brown or red)], with a portion of the white on the head.

Disposition: Alert, outgoing and friendly with a self-assured attitude. Some aloofness with strangers and assertiveness toward other dogs is not considered a fault.
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:17 AM
-

I don't think he is either. I think he is a purebred Darn Handsome Bulldog
Old June 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Pitgrrl My next door neighbour has an AB (white) who looks nothing like Clark she is like the more common AB's you see. But Clark other than the speed and muscular body looks like a different breed. I am more confused than ever. I really do see a resembalence to the VB but I also see AB not Johnson type in him. His dad said he is AB and he met the parents. But I really do not care which he is cuz he is cute and way to much energy. But I am getting used to it, he is ball obsessed.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

A lady walked by my house while I was outside gardening,she had a babystroller and an American Bulldog,he was really big,brown/white,very muscular a wide head,looked really dangerous,but was a big suck
He did not look much like your little Clark.
Old June 5th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

I think he is the standard type not a Johnson they are bigger and a different head Clark is a little guy or maybe I am just used to a dog as big as a person. He is getting more comfortable all the time.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

He is a cutie.i think he's all boxer.i'm working with an American Bulldog now and he has the longer snout.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Something to consider also is how common a breed is in your area (or where ever the dog came from).

For example, Basil and Streets look like a whole variety of pure breeds (or mixes of). People have actually argued with me about it. Their looks, temperment and the fact that everyone in the neighbourhood in which they were found has boxers, pit bulls or rotties makes me pretty confident about the fact that they are boxer x pit bull.

All that to say, how many Valley Bulldogs are there even in Canada? I was under the impression that it was a fairly small number (I could be totally wrong though) vs. AmBulls?

How big is Clark anyways? He's a total looker, I have to say.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Clark hails from Montreal now residing in Toronto. He is little 66 pounds and knee high. I guess he is small when I always compare his size to Buds, big difference. There are a lot in Nova Scotia