Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

rescuing from the rescue

As we know..there are some bad rescues out there..and yes..even ones that have been posted on here that people rave about. As a former APO..you are more aware then what the public sees. Here is one from Florida:

The list of people who have abused and neglected animals in the name of “rescue” is long, and grows longer by the day. The most recent addition to this list comes with the arrest Thursday (5/27/10) of a Polk City, Florida couple. Each were charged with 261 counts of animal cruelty.

The Polk County Sheriff's Office Animal Control Division received an anonymous tip Wednesday that approximately 100 dogs were being neglected at an animal rescue center. Charles R. "Chuck" O'Malley, 54, and Diane Lynn O'Malley, 52, were arrest when, upon investigation, Animal Control officers and Sheriff's Office deputies found 226 dogs and 35 puppies of various breeds malnourished, infested with fleas and parasites and in very poor health.

The couple operated a not-for-profit organization out of their home called Mid-Florida Retriever Rescue Inc. According to the Sheriffs office, conditions were so bad in the house that deputies had to wear gas masks or protective cover over their mouths and noses.

Dogs were found in every area of the 3,000-square-foot house - the kitchen, the bathrooms, the three bedrooms, the closets and the porches. Several of the dogs behaved aggressively, and two deputies were bitten during the investigation, the Sheriff's Office reported. One of the dogs reportedly died while the animals were being removed from home for transport to the Animal Control center for examination and treatment.

A veterinarian with Polk County Animal Control said that many of the dogs were severely malnourished, spines and rib cages in plain view, and many were infested with hookworms and whipworms, which are intestinal worms common in dogs. The dog breeds included Labrador Retrievers, Golden Retrievers, Lab mixes, Great Danes, Cattle Dogs, Sharpei, Dalmations, Shepherd mixes, Bulldogs and Belgian Malinois.

By late Thursday afternoon, the website for the O'Malleys' animal rescue operation - Mid-Florida Retriever Rescue - diplayed a noticeable red graphic with white letters spelling out the message: "Temporary Hold on Pet Surrenders."

To see a photo gallery of the rescued dogs, go here: Polk County photos.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Very sad indeed. And yes, there are rescues that do not follow the rules and guidelines or ethics (actually I don't even know if that exists to be honest). They, like anyone else should be prosecuted. I even blame them more.

The problem is that anyone can start up a non profit organization and call it a rescue. There are no inspections and you do not even have to notify the local SPCA to advise them that you are a rescue. If this was enforced, then the authorities should be able to inspect as they wish.

I hope these animals can be helped. It actually sounds more like a hoarding situation than a rescue.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

oh my god, the pictures, so sad, scared, some of them looking so hopeful, and the house is horrible...such filth and dirt!!!! overflowing litter boxes of dog dirt etc....thank god the dogs were rescued
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
It actually sounds more like a hoarding situation than a rescue.
I agree. Many people start with good intentions , do their own rescues. And then ... they go way over their heads ...

but also shelters are not so reputable I read this yesterday .... got me extremely mad !

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4...-to-dogs-death
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:48 PM
Hopelessly devoted 2 dogs

Indeed a terrible situation for the animals. While I do agree that there is too little being done by those in authority, which in each province is a branch of the provincial govt. (Ministry of...) it is not the the SPCA's responsibility to hold other "rescue groups" accountable and given their recent headline making actions this is a good thing. IMO the "No Kill Shelters/Rescues" which I support provide a much more humane approach to ensure safe, forever, re-homing.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sheltiesmom View Post
Indeed a terrible situation for the animals. While I do agree that there is too little being done by those in authority, which in each province is a branch of the provincial govt. (Ministry of...) it is not the the SPCA's responsibility to hold other "rescue groups" accountable and given their recent headline making actions this is a good thing. IMO the "No Kill Shelters/Rescues" which I support provide a much more humane approach to ensure safe, forever, re-homing.
SPCA's should be given the mandate to monitor. Agricultural Canada is not the right organization to do so. There should be an organization that is given the power to ensure that all organizations affiliated with animals, are being run humanely and correctly. If not, then this is what you get.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sheltiesmom View Post
I hope you don't think that the BCSPCA (head office)and other SPCA'S in the area (branches and afflicates in the area of BC) are government funding...cause this is how I am reading your post. The SPCA'S are a non-profit organizations...only CITY run shelters are government runned....which CITY runned shelters do not have officers that invesitigate animal cruelty cases. The SPCA has trained Animal Cruelty Investigators that deal with animal cruelty issues.

And Animal Cruelty Investigators are doing their best. Alot has to do with the fact, that no one reports animal cruelty issues because they don't want to get involved.

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 3rd, 2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
There should be an organization that is given the power to ensure that all organizations affiliated with animals, are being run humanely and correctly.
Like here ... we have Anima Québec ....
Old June 3rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Like here ... we have Anima Québec ....
Oh what a treat...

Their moto: Let's help the millers be better millers...yay