Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 10th, 2004, 02:10 PM
MEMBER*

Smile Goldenphoo( mini golden phoo ? ) / mini Schnoodle

Hello,

this is my first time writing & need some input..... I am looking to getting a dog mid. Oct. I am looking at two breeds the golenphoo and the mini schnoodle ...... I would also love to know is there such thing as a mini goldenphoo ?????? anyways any feedback postive or negative on the breeds would be helpful... here is a little background on what i'm looking for ..... a family dog, but we don't have children as of yet !! BUT we do have two cats...just want a all round a good natured dog that is hypo allergenic ..... thanks in advance for any feedback you are able to provide..... & if anyone knows of some good breeders of the mini schnoodles / mini golenphoos if there is such a thing ?
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:30 PM

Parcc, this is just my personal opinion, so please take it or leave it as you see fit...

There is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog. There are some dogs to which you might react less than others, but it varies by dog (as Luba pointed out in another recent post ). If allergies are an issue, you should meet with the dog before adopting to ensure that particular dog isn't causing a reaction.

As for a "good" breeder of these types of mixes, I don't think there is such a person out there. IMHO, people who create these types of dogs are doing it solely for profit, which is NOT the mark of a good breeder. Check around - you will be charged upwards of $1200 for a mixed-breed dog that cannot be registered! And if the breeder is not a "good" breeder, the pup will most likely wind up with health issues as well.

Please search through the www.petfinder.org website and your local shelters. There are some breeds/crosses who shed less than others, and some that might not cause allergic reactions to be so bad, or at least be mild enough that you can live with them.

Almost any dog, if properly socialized and trained, will be a great all-around family pet.

I see you have 2 cats already, so I presume you are not allergic to animals? If not, then why must the puppy be "hypo-allergenic"?
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:41 PM
MEMBER*

thanks for your feedback

Writing4Fun, thanks for your feedback..... the only reason we are looking for a hypo-allergenic dog was because when we are away other family members who do have allergies could look after the dog.( they have a dog/ Westie as well & there seems to be no problems ) ... our cats normally go off to someone else who we feel comfortable with & they can only take the cats.....

thanks for the website , I'm going to have a look ... have a great weeknd
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM

Chances of those breeds being hypoallergenic are nil. Just because its mix with a poodle does not make a dog hypoallergenic. Yep read up on what causes allergies and how to control it on dogs. ie dander.
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:52 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Parcc!

FYI, I have 2 children. Our first son was born when our first shelter dog was 8 years old. She absolutely adored him! We got our new shelter pup when our second child was only 8 mths old. It's A LOT of work, but everyone is getting along just fine (I swear the baby's first word will be "dog")! All that to say that any dog that is properly trained and socialized can be a great all-around family pet.

Have a great week-end, and good luck in your search!
Old September 10th, 2004, 03:05 PM
MEMBER*

Smile

Cinnabear, thanks for your feedback.....
Old September 10th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
somoene who just does it for the love of dogs for mini schnoodles / (mini ?) golden phoo's????

These are not breeds, they are mixes.I think people already told you that someone who is pumping out mongrels and charging big bucks for them is NOT reputable and is not doing it "for the love of dogs". Anyone who loves dogs would not be deliberately adding more to the 103,000 already homeless on Petfinder.

Any shelter and rescue has plenty of mixed breeds for you to choose from.
Go to www.petfinder.com
Old September 10th, 2004, 04:05 PM
MEMBER*

Thanks For Your Feedback

LuckyRescue...THANKS ...
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:24 PM
MEMBER*

Cool Just wanted to add in a couple things ........

Hello again LuckyRescue ,

Just wanted to add in a couple things to your comments , yes I agree these are mixes as YOU put it mongrels... but they deserve to be loved just as much as any other dog..... I agree they shouldn't be charging big bucks for a dog of mixed breed but such is life you can't control others... if a dog / puppy is not being harmed and someone is willing to pay big bucks I see nothing wrong with that .....So far I myself have not been able to find the type of dog I'm looking for at a Shelter / Petfinder.... that is why I asked the question if anyone new a breeder / someone who has the two breeds I mentioned before sometimes word of mouth or referrals works out just as well..... but like i said before thanks anyways ........................
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I've said this many times but I'll say it again. Mixes are wonderful. My own former dogs were mixes, or "mongrels" who I loved very much. My cats are mixes. Every animal I"ve owned has been dumped or abandoned or abused.

MY POINT is that there are already MILLIONS of dogs homeless and being killed in shelters even as I write this, because there are NOT ENOUGH HOMES FOR THEM.

So for someone to breed more of them, just to make money, is sickening. Making a quick buck is NOT a good reason to breed dogs.
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Parrc, the word "mongrels" is a perfectly acceptable term for a dog of questionable heritage. It's not meant in a derogatory manner any more than referring to a breeding female as a "bitch" would be. Our obedience instructors refer to them as "all canadians".

The type of dog you are looking for (the GoldenPoo, Schnoodle, etc...) were created by very greedy people who are feeding off your weaknesses. As everyone else has pointed out, there is no such thing as a hypo-allergenic dog. This is a myth created to milk you out of your hard-earned cash. You're right - if you want to lose that kind of money for no good reason, we can't stop you. But don't expect any of the folks on this board to help you fatten these "breeder's" wallets. The folks here spend most of their lives trying to find homes for the hundreds of thousands of animals already out there on death row.

I'm sorry if the responses you've been getting sounded harsh to you, or if it's not what you wanted to hear. I don't mean to offend - I'm simply stating fact, and trying to impress upon you the importance of adopting from a shelter or rescue instead, even if it's not *exactly* the mix of breeds you were looking for.

Again, good luck in your search. I mean that.
Old September 13th, 2004, 08:39 AM
MEMBER*

Smile thanks

thanks for your feedback Writing4Fun
Old September 13th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I've suggested this before and not sure if someone else has in this thread (I skimmed and didn't see).

I think it would be fabulous if you offered to foster a dog for a rescue. This way you can see how things go and if your family members are reactive.

There are tonnes of way to lessen pet dander (the source of allergies)

Including an air purifier to take the dander out of the air and grooming the dog outside or at another location.

very best of luck to you...remember rescues are ALWAYS needing foster homes to save more doggies!

MAny of the dogs right now that rescues have are in boarding kennels and would LOVE to get out of them into a lovely home, to wait for their forever home.

ALSO if you do foster and decide you want the dog you are fostering, you have a better chance at being approved for adoption.

Old September 21st, 2004, 08:40 AM

Schnoodle info

HI, this is my first time using the board and I was also looking for info on a mini schnoodle and I came across this post thinking I will get some informations....but no!

I don't want to offend anyone but I am kinda dissapointed because I thought this particular post was dealing with information on schnoodles as inquired by parcc.
Insted the responses deal with adoption....

there are dogs which shed little to nothing, usually the poodle crosses...based on my research and also talking to numerous people who have poodle crosses (which are considered non-shedding dogs) their dogs dogs shed very very little and some not at all...so i do believe a great deal in those breeds....a lot of my friends have allergies and asthma and they all have poodle crosses - shihtzu/poodle, wheater terrier and poodle, maltese/poodle, etc, and they're all happy that their dogs do not shed.....they wouldn't lie to me would they?

parcc if you are looking for breeders for poodle crosses let me know I can PM you some info.
Old September 21st, 2004, 08:49 AM

Venice04, there may be such a thing as a lesser shedding dog. They are not, however, hypoallergenic. Allergies are caused by dander, not fur. Please re-read the posts above very carefully, and you will see that all questions about the Poodle cross-breeds have been answered in great detail.
Old September 21st, 2004, 09:26 AM
<-----nut ball

hahaha. I was just going to say that...
Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:58 AM

I'm not against someone having a "schnoodle" etc for whatever reason they deem feasible (allergies, asthma etc.) but I am against the purposeful breeding of a mixed breed dog by an unqualified breeder for the purpose of making money. Take a look on Petfinder or at your local shelter and see the products of such irresponsible breeding. If you can do that then go with good conscience to your local backyard breeder and pay hundreds of dollars for your schnoodle.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:18 AM

Hundreds of dollars, Cflat? Try thousands! I think we're on the same page, though. I, too, have no problem with people getting any breed or mix thereof that they feel they truly want. But there's no need to find one by fattening the wallets of these millers. I do have a problem with so-called "breeders" feeding innocent people lies so that they can sell them an overpriced animal that will wind up in a shelter because it a) grew bigger than expected, b) caused family members to develop allergies despite their assurances to the contrary, or c) is so badly bred that it developed behavioural issues and snapped at one of the owners.
Old August 25th, 2005, 11:09 AM

goldenpoos doodles

I agree with most of what is being said, but have to disagree with some. I have 4 dogs, 3 are rescues, 2 little poodle crosses, 1 goldendoodle, and the 4th I have to admit I got from a breeder and he too is a goldendoodle. I agree with the point that there is no such thing as hypoallergenic dog. Some shed less, or not at all, or produce less dander. Any one that calls a Goldendoodle hypoallergenic or even tries to tell you they don't shed is telling a lie. Think about golden retriever / poodle. Sounds like a 50/50 chance for shedding. I have to say though, that a whole bunch of so called reputable breeders of the "pure bred" are in it for the money. My point is also, how do you think we got so many "breeds of dogs". By selectively mixing and matching good combinations to achieve a desired result. I am afraid though at the price they are charging for a doodle will bring out the greedy backyard breeders, puppy mills, just as they come out when ever a type/breed of dog hits the spot light. Look at little jack russels. Made more popular by Frazier, and the Pretzel commercials. Check out Petfinder and see how many Jack's are now homeless. I got my doodle from a breeder that is recommended and referenced by owners, that comes with a health check and guarantee, cerf, hip, and other aliment free, from both the Retriever and Poodle. So not all breeders are backyard, non ethical puppy mills. That is unfair. I agree, though, that the first place you should look for a dog, is the rescue groups, and the SPCA. There are many rescue groups that cater to "pure breds" and they are full too. So this is not an argument about pure breeding vs, mixed, its about people taking responsibilty for deciding to become the guardian of an animal, doing the research into the type you want, knowing what that means, and living with it, and adjusting once you make the committment. Its about people forgetting that these animals are not commodities, but living creatures, mutt or purebred. Ok, thats all for now
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:05 PM

i have only found one breeder of poodle mixes who will not say there dogs are allergy free or nonshedding until they are at least one year old and has their adult coat and then you have to see for yourself if they will be a problem. i asked my vet about goldenpoos and he hasn't found one that is good, he advised me to stay away from them even though he has no doubt that we can handle it.
Old August 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM

This thread is almost a year old, and the OP will most likely not be back.

Thank you for your opinion though.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!