Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old March 17th, 2005, 03:16 PM
banned user

Cat chews????

Does anyone have a recipe for cat chews, Like what you can get for dogs in the pet store 10 for a $1. Mya is a chewer and I was wondering if there is anything on the market that I could buy or something I could make that she could chew. The pet store said that the dog chews will make her ill. any suggestions? I was thinking of getting some string and threading soft cat treats through it?
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:20 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh i would stay away from the string!!!! It could be fatal!!

What are these chewy treats?? Are they soft or hard chewy treats?
Old March 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM
banned user

They have little soft ones in the store now, Mya doesnt particularly go for them but I thought it it was round she may go for it. I cant remember what there called.
What I want is something that is edible that looks like a hair band LOL. As im sick and worried that shes eating all mine!!! Is there something edible and long that I could string them onto?
I want to make a edible chew ring for her, but seeing as cats chewing is rare theres not really anything on the market.
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep - string can get caught in the digestive tract and cause all manner of problems. What about Pounce and those kinds of treats? People belive - mistakingly that if they give their cats these treats the tartar on their pet's teeth will be controlled. That is not true. Do we get rid of tartar by eating anything? There is only one way - with a cat toothbrush and special toothpaste.

I cannot think of other kinds of chews though - seems to me just giving her something to play with might help - a mouse, a ball?

And trust me, you;ve never seen chewing till you have a bunny. My bunny - who lived to be 13 - after I was told "Oh he'll live to about 5, lol) - loved to chew- tables, wood, denim jeans, cell phone cords, telephone cords - especially if one was on the phone. My home became wireless very quickly, lol
Old March 17th, 2005, 04:53 PM
banned user

Oh shes got her toys and shes got play time all the time, but the chewing is still a big issue, and I just wanted something to distract her. We try those tarter control things their her after play time treats. but i bought those whiskas treats that are soft on the inside, hard on the outside, well her she nearly peed her pants when she saw them she went crazy over them!!!
Old April 10th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Pet Guardian

Post Chewies

I found some links for you that may be helpful if you want to buy cat treats. I think these are like the jerky treats or rawhide for dogs.
You might want to ask your vet about this but I found this statement on the net: "Your cat is not weird if he or she likes rawhide. Their sensitive noses can sense the high protein and fat content" and therefore I would think that buying the compressed rawhide chews for dogs (so they don't choke on chunks!) wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, as long as she doesn't get too many of them.

http://www.naturalcat.com/store/cust...cat=249&page=1
(they also have the ones below)

http://www.thecatconnection.com/page...CRNCH/TRT-0805

Also, here is a link to some homemade cat treat recipes, you may be able to alter the size of these so your cat has to chew on them more.
http://www.simplypets.com/pet-recipes/Cat/Treat
Or you might find something at:
http://www.recipezaar.com/r/256

Hope that helps
Old April 20th, 2005, 04:16 PM
<-----nut ball

I just posted one a few posts up in the forum. These treats can be made like a long stick and are hard, so your cat should love chewing on them.