Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 21st, 2008, 08:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Questions about lupines...and other stuff, I'm sure

After 3 years of lovely foliage but no flowers, I finally decided to take out the hybrid lupine and replace it with something colorful. But when I went to rip it out, I found:

Name:  Garden 2008 - lupine buds 6-9-08.jpg
Views: 886
Size:  20.9 KB

and it just kept getting better

Name:  Garden 2008 - Lupine buds beginning to really bloom 6-13-08.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  28.9 KB

and better...

Name:  Garden 2008 - Lupine visitor 6-14-08.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  29.0 KB

Notice that even the bumblebees think it's purdeeee...

The first spikes are nearly fully blown now.

So what's the question? Ummm...I fergit...

Just kidding... Ahem...

My question is: If I deadhead the spike, will the plant put out a new bud stalk? If it won't make it bloom again, I'd just as soon let it go to seed. I'm lazy like that... ...if there's a chance that it'll reseed itself and make babies, hazel is all for it.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:25 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

my ex is from newbrunswick and the lupine is their province flower. As far as i know just leave them and they will keep reseeding themselves. She started with a couple and now has a whole bunch.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Also, I have a bunch of baby lupines that I started from seed this spring. The package said to keep them in a shady place till fall, then transplant them into a sunny place or a part shady place.

My question about these is when is it a reasonable time to transplant them? If I do it now instead of in fall, will they die? They're about 4 inches tall and are in peat pots. I didn't think far enough ahead when I planted them and now I'm afraid they'll get too root bound in the small peat pots by the time fall rolls around.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
my ex is from newbrunswick and the lupine is their province flower. As far as i know just leave them and they will keep reseeding themselves. She started with a couple and now has a whole bunch.
This is a hybrid lupine, though...so I guess I don't even know if the seed would be viable? And I love the flowers, so I'd love to make the plant flower longer... I'm such a novice I don't even know how long hybrid lupine blooms for! The wild blue variety around here only blooms through the early part of July.

So to deadhead or not to deadhead...that's the question!

Old June 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Well i've seen them growing in great big patches in ditches along the side of the road, so i guess it's ok to plant them. not like a ditch has shade certain months.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:31 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
This is a hybrid lupine, though...so I guess I don't even know if the seed would be viable? And I love the flowers, so I'd love to make the plant flower longer... I'm such a novice I don't even know how long hybrid lupine blooms for! The wild blue variety around here only blooms through the early part of July.

So to deadhead or not to deadhead...that's the question!
how bout dead head some but not all.
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Well i've seen them growing in great big patches in ditches along the side of the road, so i guess it's ok to plant them. not like a ditch has shade certain months.
That's true! The wild stuff here doesn't start out in shade, either. I tried to start some cosmos and callendula in the back of the garden along the kennel building, but only a few seeds came up (I think they got drowned out by the rains we were having), so it's very tempting to put the lupine seedlings in that part of the garden. If they all got as pretty as the ones that are blooming now, it would be well worth the three-year-wait for flowers!

Old June 21st, 2008, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
how bout dead head some but not all.
Sounds like a plan, doesn't it? Now why didn't madame hazel think of that? I think that woman relies too much on that dratted crystal ball of hers...she's losing all of her common sense!

I'm a little afraid to touch it, though--what with our rather moldy thumb, my touch could kill!

Old June 21st, 2008, 08:41 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hazel - this is one time you don't have to feel guilty for being lazy.
Lupine only bloom once in a season and then normally will die right back. Let the seeds fall where they may. Or, let them get ripe, then deadhead and sprinkle seeds where you want them. They may or may not sprout next year.
As for your seedlings - fall is the best time. You can take a chance and put them in the ground now but they may not survive a hot summer. You said you have them in peat pots? Plunk the whole darn thing in the ground. That way there is no disturbance of roots, which lupine hates, and a better chance of survival.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Right now I have the peat pots on a tray under the deck to keep them in the shade. Are they okay in there till fall?

Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:56 AM
-

Thems nice Hazel, I don't have Lupines
Old June 23rd, 2008, 12:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sorry hazel. Lost this thread. Yes, they should be ok. Just check occasionally to make sure they are damp, not soaked, just damp. They may die back a little but still plant them in the fall. Like I said, they are a difficult plant sometimes.
Hybrid seeds may well not be viable. They also may not come true to colour from parent plant.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I noticed today that the one in bloom is sending up some new flower stalks, so I have a few more blooms to look forward to!

I'm just so happy the darn thing decided to bloom before I yanked it outta the ground this spring! Maybe it had an inkling of what I had in mind and thought it better bloom quick! (Who says plants don't understand when you talk to them!? )

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Young at Heart

I"m late onto this thread but I would have waited until fall to transplant them. Out here - BC - it's always best to move plants just before the rains start - yup - lots of fun out gardening in the rain and mud

My lupines just finished and I've cut the stalks down already. They do reproduce with a flourish - almost as well as foxgloves!
Old June 24th, 2008, 01:27 PM
150% PRO S/N

Yep Jan, that's what hazel's gonna do. She has them in peat pots under her deck until then. Hopefully just keeping the peat damp and then pluncking the whole thing in the ground in the fall will do the trick!!
My lupine is done too. I am letting it go to seed though. I want to try to start a few in another area of the gardens.

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

MIne is still putting out bud spikes! And the dogs don't find them nearly as irresistible as the peonies, so they may live to bloom again!

And yes, Jan...they're hiding under the deck now. I'll make sure they stay damp and then transplant in the fall. Course, here, that's not the start of the rainy season, it's the start of interminable snow...

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM
150% PRO S/N

You will keep on getting bud spikes for a while. Mine was loaded and gorgeous for about 2 weeks. Now it's just the seed heads. :sad: I am hoping next year for lots, lots more. I love them!