Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 17th, 2001, 10:30 AM

Question

I have a Question for any experts out there.We have a Lab Female 3 yrs old.She has had ear infections in the past which a vet looked at.We used some ear drops which doesnt seem to work.Her problem is that her ears are always warm seems like she has an infection.She is always shaking her head almost sound like water in her ears.Something is bugging her in regards to her ears.Of course she love the water but any ideas about ear infections?
Old June 8th, 2001, 08:55 AM

Do her ears smell like stale beer? Is their a gunky brownish, black discharge? If so, she has a yeast infection. Have your vet culture it and give you drops that will kill it. It took me 3 years to find a vet that could give me a cure.

Old June 12th, 2001, 12:59 AM

Talking Labrador Retriever

Thanks Scout.. You pretty much hit it dead on.She was diagnosed with a yeast infection.To bad we didnt hear from you one week earlier.Anyways the Vet. did a good cleaning the dog was tranked for it then an antifungal cream for 2 weeks and then after a day of swimming rinse out the ears with an asa based douce like liquid. This doesnt effect the quality of life for the dog if we just keep up on maintaining the ears. What kind of proceedure were you advised with this yeast problem is it the same as what i am doing?
Old June 12th, 2001, 09:27 AM

For both my dog and my roomate's puppy a flushing of the ears was recommened but never needed. If you are given the correct drops it will clean itself out over a few weeks. Knocking the dog out to clean the ears was not needed and would have just cost us $300.00 plus. I will look up the weekly cleaner we use, it's great and I will check and see what the drops where.