Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 11th, 2004, 06:55 PM
Chocolate

Question Royal Canin

...dog food?

my coworker is HIGHLY recommanding it...

or do any of u have any other suggestions @ quality foods for reasonable prices...

I've got two doggies, 3 yr old neutered large male & 1 yr old spayed medium sized female... both pointers, see pic below name

thanks for your help in advance.
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Royal Canin 1st 10 ingredients:
Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, oatmeal, potato starch, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried tomato pomace, natural flavors, fish meal, dried egg product,

Canidae 1st 10:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Ascorbic Acid), Menhaden Fish Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil,

Innova 1st 5:
Turkey
Chicken
Chicken Meal
Whole Ground Barley
Whole Ground Brown Rice

The first two most important things to look at (IMHO) is high meat content and naturally preserved (no BHA, BHT etc.) Also corn, soy, low quality grain leftovers like brewers rice, corn gluten meal, beet pulp etc are NOT things I'd want to see on the list.

For my money, Canidae is one of the best kibbles on the market, it's priced the same as Iams.Euk etc, but MUCH higher quality. And it will work out cheaper b/c you'd need to feed less. My 115lb Rottweiler got 3 cups a day, on Iams/Euk he needed 5-6 cups per day to maintain weight. Also Iams etc gave him nasty poos and gas. This was back when I still fed kibble...
I think Royal Canin is OK but kind of pricey for the quality. Innova is good too...I think switching around brands frequently is a good idea. No need to stick to one brand all the time! That just narrows the ingredient range over the life of the dog, and makes them have "sensitive" stomachs, which is something we create by feeding them only one thing for life. Dogs are scavenger/carnivores, they naturally have very robust stomachs.

Here's my #1 best website for everything you want to know about doggie diets, including how to understand kibble labels & choose a good food:
http://www.bowchow.com/dogfeeding.html
Old February 11th, 2004, 07:58 PM
Chocolate

thanx a bunch, Carina!

... I also believe in ensuring my doggies have strong stomachs... we feed them select table scraps once we're done eating...

even if it's licking the plate "clean"

I'm gonna look into the website (again), I saved it earlier. lol.

And check out this Canidae... Luba, what was that store in Toront u said carried it...?
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Huh? I'm not sure I know what you mean wAggies I've never used that brand myself.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Chocolate

I thought u had mentioned Global Pet Foods earlier...

(I called around & got the name of the store... but not prices, they're closed already )
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:17 PM

Waggie,

Based on my breeder's recommendation, I have my little guy on a mix of raw and dry. I have had him on the Royal Canin Nature's Recipe Puppy food. He looks phenominal! Even the vet has commented that whatever I am doing (even though she is not convinced by the raw diet thing - I disagree with her) I should simply continue whatever it is since he is so healthy! (I would attach a photo if my father would ever send me copies of the digial photos that he took on his camera at Christmas as promised.....)

The reason I started him on the Royal Canin as opposed to the other foods is that it was the only natural food that I could find that had a puppy formula. I know that there are those out there that will say that "puppy" formula is a way of developing consumer loyalty, but I guess I am a little old school that way and believe in the extra calories and calcium. In any event, once he is over a year, I may reconsider what brand of dry food I feed him and change to one of the other high quality dry foods. As it stands now he is doing great on the Royal Canin and raw mix.

Hope this helps!

Michelle
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Canidae.com website has a dealer locator, I think it's good for Canada too...there's an 800 number too.
Pet Supplies Plus has it here...many stores can get different brands from their distributors if you just ask.

The kid who works for me has a very nice dog, but Lazslo was getting real dull fur & dandruff, plus he was pooping alot.
I gave him 40lbs of Canidae & he told me Laszlo's skin & coat shined right up, and he's having nice little poops now.
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:21 PM
Chocolate

Raw... what is that diet anyways?

giving them RAW meat..?? raw veggies... lol

sowwy, it's been hard trying to understand this

Carina, maybe I should pick up your book, eh?

(the 800 # isn't available in my area..)

when Chocolate was younger, I had him on the Nutrience Supreme from SuperPet...

that's great... isn't it...?
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:25 PM

Yup! Raw meat, including bones, AND raw vegetables. Fruit as well if they will eat it! Being a vegetarian I had a few problems with the idea at first but Oliver essentially, in his not so subtle way, let me know that if I was not going to feed him raw he was not going to eat LOL!!

Once you get past the idea it is really easy and cheaper than a commercial dog food diet!
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

wAggie, that site I gave you has a whole section on raw feeding.

Basic concepts:
*Grains are an unnatural food for dogs and not only provide little nutrition, can negatively impact health greatly.
*Dogs are carnivores & meat should be the primary diet staple. Many people feed only meat/bones/animal products (green tripe, eggs & organ meats.)
*Cooking destroys enzymes necessary for building a strong dog. Raw is optimal.
*Feed a "prey model" diet...ie approximate as best possible a wolf diet. Pulverised raw veggies in small amounts, & lots of meat & bones.

Some people are very strict & anal retentive about it. Some feed raw+kibble like cmt, some feed raw+cooked...I'm pretty relaxed about it & my dogs are healthy, muscular & shiny. And they LOVE their raw meat!!
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Chocolate

I ALREADY feed them fruits and veggies... lol .... (YES! 2 points for Aggie! )

sooooo raw, like, when I go into the frozen meats section of the grocery store & pick up some chicken breast or pork chops??

& all I do is THAW them? maybe I should start making them some chicken soup minus the salt

and overall, it's cheaper than dry? I'm not a fan of wet food... once in a while is fine, but I enjoy my dogs drinking fresh water...
Old February 11th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Carina,

I must confess that the real reason my gets any dry right now is because he goes out with the dog walker in the afternoon for a big walk with other dogs and I am not home to give him a little snack (he is still a puppy) and he is hungry and tired when he gets back! Once he is down to two meals a day he may very well end up on the raw alone regiment!
Old February 11th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I don't recall that brand though wAggies sorry... but I have shopped at Global yes...there's one around the corner from me.

There are so many brands of foods to choose from. The
Dogs Dogs Dogs newspaper has tonnes of listings including those who sell complete organic dog food. Maybe give that a try too

I'd really prefer to feed my dog all natural non processed foods and may switch Sadie to that once she gets over this hump...or atleast partially.

It's a big decision and commitment but I think probably for the betterment of the dogs health.

Old February 11th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Chocolate

oopss...

but thanx for that... it is a committment & its work, so we'll see what we can do

what hump does Sadie have???!