Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old April 19th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Anyone Know anything about Syphinx Cats?

Hi,

Help!! I am usually responding to questions but tonight a friend - a woman who used to practice pediatrics with me but had to give up her work due to a rather serious illness has been admitted to hospital this evening and is quite ill. Her husband is a surgeon (he is actually one of "MY" surgeons) and while he is interested in her newfound hobby of showing her sphinx cats, he knows little about them and worse, is currently out of the country. (Another Medicins sans Frontieres volunteer only he signed up for 6 mos - my friend's illness was not acute. This new medical issue has come up suddently). He will be returning asap tho!

The problem is her babies. She says one cat is fine staying at home and actually enjoys it but the younger of the two is barely a year old - just a kitten herself - and while she did well in a recent cat show, she needs to have people around. So I am in a quandry. Do I leave both cats at home, bring them both to my place or leave one there, and take the skittish one here? I would certainly keep them seperate from YY till we see how they interact. YY has met other kitties in her unofficial job as office greeter and hugger - (We are setting up a kitty program at the hospital and one of the prerequisites is that all the kitties who participate must get along with each other). All but one passed our somewhat rigourous test. A little Russian Blue owned by an IV nurse friend was scared and she bit three seperate people three times! . YY bit a doc once too but it was in a play situation that was just a little too aggressive. (She NEVER bites otherwise).

I think YY is fine with other cats and even woofers in a place she does not think of as hers -and she did decide she was an alpha cat at my office (smelling mommy's stuff all over the place, she walked around as if she owned it!). But another cat or cats in HER home might be another matter altogether and my little sweetheart may show her claws AND her teeth? What do you think?

(Note: I was unsure of where to put this -it is not really a rescue situation but it is LIKELY to be a FOSTER one.)

On a completely different subject, my secretary was looking up ads on a completely different subject - she plays the bagpipes (teaches lessons actually, teaches Celtic dancing as well) - and she found this ad which she found very sad. It brought her to tears. It just made me angry!!

This is it: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I have two very well-mannered and the sweetest cats you'll ever meet. Kiera is a six-year-old calico who loves attention. She loves all people. Schneider is a nine-year-old gray girl. She is a little nervous, but will eventually come around. She prefers getting attention on her terms. I am getting married to someone who is deathly allergic to cats. I am looking for someone who will love them as much if not more than I do. They are both spayed and declawed in the front. They are indoor cats only.

What kind of person does this? I know, it's a rhetorical question, sigh!!!!

Anyway - anyone with sphinx experience- let me know what you think. These two kitties are alone now, knowing their mom left on strange terms (cats just sense these things). I do know they need to be kept warm and that these kitties love their bath. I am sort of the "Godmother" of these babies so I am wondering if they should even be alone now.

Last edited by CyberKitten; April 19th, 2005 at 10:51 PM. Reason: added material re why I placed it in this category
Old April 19th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats are always happier in their own homes. I would leave them there for now, since they have each other for company.
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Thx Lucky but what about later? That is what I am looking toward more than what do do in the short term. The husband is not really keen on keeping them and in her living will, my friend has asked me to take them should she not survive? I want to be hopeful and optomistic but this hospital stay could be quite lengthy.

Maybe I am overcomplicating things? I am stressed from learning about her most of all at the moment and she is stressed- as ill as she is - about her kitties being alone. That is why I am up at 1:30 or thereabouts and I get up at 5:30 (Maybe I'll just stay up!)
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, if it's going to be long term and the husband doesn't want them, then you need to bring both of them to your house.

One problem - a large problem - is that if these cats are being shown, they are not spayed. What arrangements have been made for that, in the event that you end up with both of them?
Old April 19th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Senior Contributor

No specific arrangements have ben made re: spaying (they are both females) but she understands that I would not continue to show them. So, in our agreement, should anything (God forbid!) make her condition worse, these kitties would be at the vets asap!

However, we are not there yet Lucky and I am still praying we won't be!
Old April 20th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Check which registry these cats are being shown with most shows now have classes for cats that are altered.If that helps you at all.
Old April 20th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I do not have the time to show - if I did, I'd show my own show quality Seal point Siamese Meezer girl! But thank you. I did know there are categories now for altered show quality cats but it depends on the registry and the show.

At the moment, I am more worried about my friend surving this latest challenge - I am now spending my time at "my" hospital and the other hospital where she is. It's very hard!