Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 1st, 2012, 06:27 PM

I dont know if I have this in the right spot

Okay let me give a little background. In 2008 a former friend of mine left her house and abandoned her dogs. She had 3 Australian Shepherds. Her grandmother placed the 3 dogs, 1 with me and 2 with friends. I had Travis for about a year before I gave him back, since I thought she had changed. Here we are 4 years later and she could no longer keep Travis and I begged for her to give him back but gave him to some women in Georgia. I recently got in touch with the women who has him, and we have become great friends. She has him 6 months and she has decided to give him back to me. I am going to visit him in July and hopefully take him then. I just wanna know if she will remember me? The last time I seen him was May 2011. So I just want to know if he will remember me.

Thanks!
Old June 1st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesoroaussies View Post
Okay let me give a little background. In 2008 a former friend of mine left her house and abandoned her dogs. She had 3 Australian Shepherds. Her grandmother placed the 3 dogs, 1 with me and 2 with friends. I had Travis for about a year before I gave him back, since I thought she had changed. Here we are 4 years later and she could no longer keep Travis and I begged for her to give him back but gave him to some women in Georgia. I recently got in touch with the women who has him, and we have become great friends. She has him 6 months and she has decided to give him back to me. I am going to visit him in July and hopefully take him then. I just wanna know if she will remember me? The last time I seen him was May 2011. So I just want to know if he will remember me.

Thanks!
Yes! the dog will be trilled to see you again! . I am sure you have seen troops coming home after being away for months and their dogs go crazy with joy to see their owner again. Travis will be like just one of those dog. I am so happy you're getting the dog back . It would be great if you could have someone take photos of this so you'll have them and we could see them too.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:52 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I'd bet hard that the dog will remember you and that it will be an emotional (good emotional) experience when you first see each other.

Nice that the woman in Georgia will give you back the dog. Love happy endings!

Please update us further
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I'd bet hard that the dog will remember you and that it will be an emotional (good emotional) experience when you first see each other.

Nice that the woman in Georgia will give you back the dog. Love happy endings!

Please update us further
We had to give a dog when we where kids and when we saw our dog about a year later he was so happy to see me . I just read a book called 'Roam' and the dog was missing for 9 years and when the dog saw his owner for the first time in 9 years the dog was so excited to his owner.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I hate to put a dampener on this but twice I've seen dogs ignore previous owners. One was Ben, a sheltie returned to his breeder, then sold to me 3 months later. When he saw his ex owner again, 2 months after I got him, he refused to ackowledge him. Now, I'm usually the last person to think animals think like us, but it really was like he was carrying a grudge. The weirdest thing is that he met the ex-owner again 5 months after that and acted totally overjoyed to see him. Very strange! The other was a part Kelpie we placed in a working home because she not only loved working, she loved kids as well and her new owner had 4. Didn't want to know us when she saw us again, and that's okay, she was happy. These are exceptions most likely, and if your dog acts that way then I'm sure getting him back to his old surroundings will help him remember.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I hate to put a dampener on this but twice I've seen dogs ignore previous owners. One was Ben, a sheltie returned to his breeder, then sold to me 3 months later. When he saw his ex owner again, 2 months after I got him, he refused to ackowledge him. Now, I'm usually the last person to think animals think like us, but it really was like he was carrying a grudge. The weirdest thing is that he met the ex-owner again 5 months after that and acted totally overjoyed to see him. Very strange! The other was a part Kelpie we placed in a working home because she not only loved working, she loved kids as well and her new owner had 4. Didn't want to know us when she saw us again, and that's okay, she was happy. These are exceptions most likely, and if your dog acts that way then I'm sure getting him back to his old surroundings will help him remember.
I met a dog at a friend's house in Northern California, he was taking care of the dog while his owner was away. I saw the dog only one time . I moved back to the city which was about 200 miles from where I lived in Northern California. One day I opened my door and there was the dog. He was happy to see me. I could not believe it , the dog was able to find me and it has never seen or smelled the car I drove in back to the city. A couple of days later days my friend that was taking care of the dog came to see my new apartment. I had no idea he was coming to the city and when he walked into my house he almost fell over when he saw his friend's house in my apartment! My friend said the dog was stolen one before and that may had happen again. The dog was a hound dog but he only saw me one time for a few hours yet he did not forget me and was able to find my apartment in Berkeley, Calf. all the way from Whale Gulch , Calf. My friend brought back to country with and saved me from having to make a long drive as no one had telephones in Northern California when I lived there and cell phones where around yet. Every person I know that had to give a dog up said when their dog saw them again the dog was excited to see them.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM

This is Travis! Thank you everybody for all the happy THOUGHTS! I only have about 5 weeks to go! I guess I will find out, I'm excited but nervous at the same time. I know some dogs don't like there previous owners, but I really was never his owner, I just fostered him until I made the mistake to give him back. Im hoping he is happy to see me, But I guess I will find out! I will take videos and pictures, Im so excited!!!