Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 29th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Momma Kitty

Smile Hello

Hi Im Mandee, Momma to 1 son, 3 cats & 1 guinea pig,

My cats are:

Momma Girl: Tortoise Shell & 6 years old & weighs 17lbs

Lil Man: Brown Tabby & 3 years old & weighs 22lbs

Tonka: Silver Tabby & 2 years old & weighs 15lbs

My guinea pigs name is Squeakrz he is 2 years old and he is the colour of a tort.

My sons name is Deejay & he is 7 years old.

I look forward to getting to know you pet lovers
Old July 29th, 2008, 05:23 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Hi Momma, and welcome!

You've got some big kitties there! Are you looking to slim them down? If so, I recommend you drop by the food section of this forum - putting them on a good quality canned food (like Wellness) is not only good for their health, but can also help them lose weight, like with my big guy Jake!

P.S. We'd really like to see pictures of your beautiful fur babies!

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Momma Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Hi Momma, and welcome!

You've got some big kitties there! Are you looking to slim them down? If so, I recommend you drop by the food section of this forum - putting them on a good quality canned food (like Wellness) is not only good for their health, but can also help them lose weight, like with my big guy Jake!

P.S. We'd really like to see pictures of your beautiful fur babies!

Hi, yes we do have them on Nutrience Diet, this is what the vet recommended for them, they are just piggies
Old July 29th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKittyTo3 View Post
Hi, yes we do have them on Nutrience Diet, this is what the vet recommended for them, they are just piggies
Hi, welcome to pets.ca!

Hate to break it you, but vets are pretty much the last people you should be asking about feline nutrition. Their training in school is minimal, and what they do receive tends to have a heavy bias towards Big Pet Food. http://naturalcathealth.blogspot.com...ty-of-pet.html

How long have your cats been eating the Nutrience? Have they actually lost any weight? See, the problem with feeding diet dry food to cats is that it's high in carbohydrates, based on the erroneous concept that it's fat and protein that makes cats overweight. Cats have a limited ability to process carbs and any extra gets stored as fat, so there's the real culprit. The best thing for ALL cats, not just the fat ones, is to feed a meat-based low carb wet food. Please read these 2 links for more details on the why's and how's:
http://www.catinfo.org/
http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 30th, 2008, 12:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Howdy, MKT3!

I'll leave the cat advice to the cat gurus and just say "hi"!

Welcome to the board!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
proud to be a cat slave

Just so you know, I had my almost 18lbs guy Jake on Iams Weight Loss dry food for about 5 years - nothing changed. I went to the vet, and they put him on Hills weight loss dry food. Nothing happened, and his fur actually got a little greasy.

I did some research (that link sugarcatmom gave you, www.catinfo.org is a GREAT source), and switched him over to Wellness canned. Within three months he got down to a healthy 12 lbs (he's a big boned guy, so it's a good size for him).

Here's a link to pictures of his weight loss if you are interested in seeing the change just a few months can make!

It also looks like (from those pics you posted - they are so sweet, by the way!) that they eat wet food as a treat, so the transition will hopefully not be too hard for you

Jake - grey DSH (Aug '98) Alley - spazzy grey tabby (Aug '07)
Old July 30th, 2008, 09:16 PM
border collie mama

Hey welcome to pets.ca!

your kittys sound ery pretty and i just love little guenia pigs. We would love to see pictures when you can.
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Momma Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by allymack View Post
Hey welcome to pets.ca!

your kittys sound ery pretty and i just love little guenia pigs. We would love to see pictures when you can.

I posted pics under the picture section!!
Old July 31st, 2008, 02:07 PM
Momma Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoozles View Post
Just so you know, I had my almost 18lbs guy Jake on Iams Weight Loss dry food for about 5 years - nothing changed. I went to the vet, and they put him on Hills weight loss dry food. Nothing happened, and his fur actually got a little greasy.

I did some research (that link sugarcatmom gave you, www.catinfo.org is a GREAT source), and switched him over to Wellness canned. Within three months he got down to a healthy 12 lbs (he's a big boned guy, so it's a good size for him).

Here's a link to pictures of his weight loss if you are interested in seeing the change just a few months can make!

It also looks like (from those pics you posted - they are so sweet, by the way!) that they eat wet food as a treat, so the transition will hopefully not be too hard for you
I had my Momma Girl on wet food & she gained alot of weight, then I switched her to the whiskas meaty selection dry food and still kept the weight on, Now all three are on the nutrience and they have lost some weight, my girl has lost the most weight being on the nutrience the other 2 lost a few pounds