Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 2nd, 2005, 12:28 PM

Ovaban to treat skin/food allergy - looking for alternative

First some history on my cat Foxy. She was a sickly kitten with very low immunity. She had an upper respiratory infection that made her sneeze, had recurrent ringworm (skin fungus/rash), very fluid and bloody diarrhea that lasted for more than 6 months and wouldn't go away with deworming, antibiotics or steroid shots. While buying cat food one day I found out (a Petland employee told me that) the food I was fedding Foxy (Astro Max Kitten/Cat) contained a chemical used to perserve rubber that can cause cancer and other health problems. I immediately change her food to a natural one called Petguard and I started doing intensive research online and found out about the problems that are caused by feeding commercial foods (most are preserved with chemicals-not listed on label that cause most health problems in our pets). After a few days on the new pet food Foxy started to improve, her sneezing stop. Then I started feeding her home cooked meals with added nutrients and antioxidants and in a couple of months she was completely well. By her first year she was a healthy as she could be and her fur looked luxurious. I'm convinced that the natural diet saved her life. I kept her on the home cooked diet for about 6 months then switched to an all raw meat diet with even better results. She was on the natural diet for about 2 years than I got too lazy to continue and started feeding her and her new companion Mackenzie Petguard for a few weeks then switched to Innova because of the better ingredient and lack of yeast (which can cause allergy and diarrhea in some pets, including my Foxy).

Foxy is 9 years old now, has been eating Innova can food (no dry food, which can cause bladder stones and other health problems), two spoons twice a day for a few years with no problems. A year ago I decided to give her some variaty and also fed her Petguard for a few weeks until she developed an allergy which made her lick her lower abdomen excesively until she removes all the fur and skin. I stop giving her Petguard suspecting that the breyer's yeast in it was the cause of Foxy's allergic reaction, but months passed and her allergy wouldn't go away even with natural treatment. I didn't want her to get steroid shot treatments because of their side effects, but when her allergy got really bad and had spread to her most of her face I had to let the vet give her an allergy/steroid shot. She quickly got better. She has been on Anti-Histamine (Loratadine 10MG daily) for more than 10 months but not sure if they are helping or not. The first allergy/steroid shot kept Foxy allergy free for 7 months, the second shot lasted only 3 months. Worry about this, I asked the vet for an alternative to the shots.

A few days ago Foxy's vet prescribed Ovaban 5MG per week to treat her skin allergy (which I suspect is an auto-immune skin disease). I just stared giving Foxy the Ovaban two days ago and has given it to her twice (made a mistake, forgot I didn't have to give it to her daily). I just started doing research online to find out the side effect of Ovaban. My vet only told me that the most common side effect would be increase appetite. From the little info I have found so far I am greatly concern about giving my cat a medication that may cause diabetes and cancer. If anyone has any information on a replacement for Ovaban please let me know. You can email me at Sonia1027@aol.com. I would really appreciate the info.

Thank you,

Sonia
Attached Images

Last edited by Sonia1027; March 2nd, 2005 at 01:01 PM.