Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2010, 08:02 AM

What size cat carrier should I get?

I am picking up my little Balinese kitten in August and am wondering what size of carrier should I have for her to come home in? She will be just 2 days shy of 12 weeks old. It is going to be about an 11 hour drive and thanks to the wonderful people on here I know that I need the carrier and a small litter pan.(and a few other things) I already have a couple carriers, one that a puppy came home in. It seems huge and I have a small one that my African Grey Parrot was shipped to me in. That one seems like it would be lots big enough for a kitten but I don't really know how big a 12 week old balinese is . Can someone give me a rough estimate of the size of their cat carriers?
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:09 AM

the bigger the better he will grow quick.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:13 AM

I thought I read somwhere that cats liked small close spaces but maybe I was wrong, so you think the biggest size carrier I can fit into the back of the truck (inside the pick up truck ) would be best? I can do that.
Old June 16th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Catlover2

The carrier your puppy came in would be better....always the bigger the better, one that will easily accommodate a small litter pan, food dish and give enough room for a little exercise.
Old June 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
The carrier your puppy came in would be better....always the bigger the better, one that will easily accommodate a small litter pan, food dish and give enough room for a little exercise.
Great advise!
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:21 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The larger of the two is the best as stated. I doubt the kitten will use the litter box while the vehicle is in motion (too much movement for unsteady kitty legs) but probably will once the vehicle has stopped for a bit. When taking your kitty to your vet you can use the smaller one.
What I would like to add is please fit the kitten with a small kitten harness before leaving the breeders'. That way when you stop to let the kitten out for a stretch (inside the vehicle) you can quickly snap a lead on the harness. In case the door is opened inadvertently when kitten is out you do not need to worry about kitten darting out. They may be tiny but they can and do panic when in unfamiliar territory. When they panic they tend to want to run. JMO

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

i agree with others on here. When traveling always have a larger carrier. Since it is a long drive, you want your kitty to be comformtable. I am home for the summer, but i go to college in the North...which is 10 hours away. I have a medium size dog carrier..(my kitty is a fatty and overall a general a big cat for a calico) she can ly comforable, sit straight up, turn around no problem. I also line it with a comfy towel. I also have a small litter pan for her as well, that I put in every hour for a bit, then take it out..(just so she has more room)

She doesn't use the litter at all, during the 10 hour drive and we have driven it twice so far (third time coming up in the fall, for last year of school). Before I am going to do the 10 hour drive, i don't feed her as much. I don't want to upset her stomach to much on the drive, plus since I know she will not use her litter, it will decrease her having to use the washroom and make her uncomfortable (since I know she will just hold it) I do bring water, that i pour usually in tim hortons soup container, since it comes with a lid. Again, she can't be bothered to drink it.

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 16th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:02 PM

Thanks everyone I will use the bigger one and the kitten comes with a blanket with her mother and littermates scent on it so I will put that in the carrier with her. I will be getting her a harness and long leash and i will put that on her when I get her. Thanks for all the great advice I will be asking a lot more questions as the time draws closer to getting her. I haven't posted any pictures yet because I don't really know which kitten will be mine. I do have the pick of the litter but since I am too far away to go and pick one out and they all look pretty much the same (5 blue point females and 1 flame point male) I am letting the breeder chooose for me . It will be one of the females for sure. As soon as I have a picture of her I will post it.
Old June 16th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Catlover2

Let kitty choose

As a former breeder, I always found it best if the prospective owner sat on the floor and played with the kittens, usually there is one or maybe two that will consistently want to go to the person, play with the person and sit in their lap. It's best if you take your time and spent a minimum of an hour, playing, observing and talking with the breeder. IMHO, I always think you get the best connection when the kitten chooses the owner. In my experience, sometimes I was not able to pick up a new breeder personally and only saw it in pictures or a video, but it was a bloodline that I wanted to incorporate into my breeding program. I noticed that I never did have that same "soul" connection with a cat or kitten that did not choose me.
Old June 17th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Catlover2 that of course would be the ideal situation but in this case I have to rely on pictures and the breeders description of the kittens as I live so far away. When I go to pick her up I am sure she will be the only kitten left as the others will have been sold and gone to their new homes by then, if by chance there are still other kittens i will definately stay a while and see if one picks me.
Old June 17th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Floppy Dog

I have moved house several times with one or more cats and I have found that covering the carrier while travelling seems to calm the cats down. Anyways, I certainly hear fewer squeaks and squawks that way. You might also try putting a scoop or 2 of the litter that the kitten was using at the breeders in the litter pan you plan to use, familiar smell and all. Later, when you get home, you can add this to the litter pan you plan to use.

Lastly, I know this sounds strange, but I have used this method for 20 years and have never lost a cat after a move, so here goes. Once you get kitty home and before you let her explore, put some vegetable oil or butter on the tops of her paws, all 4 of them. Not enough to make a mess of your place but enough to make the fur sticky and dirty feeling to kitty. This encourages her to wash and washing is supposed to be a very calming action after a stressful event.
Old June 17th, 2010, 01:13 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy Dog View Post
I have moved house several times with one or more cats and I have found that covering the carrier while travelling seems to calm the cats down. Anyways, I certainly hear fewer squeaks and squawks that way. You might also try putting a scoop or 2 of the litter that the kitten was using at the breeders in the litter pan you plan to use, familiar smell and all. Later, when you get home, you can add this to the litter pan you plan to use.

Lastly, I know this sounds strange, but I have used this method for 20 years and have never lost a cat after a move, so here goes. Once you get kitty home and before you let her explore, put some vegetable oil or butter on the tops of her paws, all 4 of them. Not enough to make a mess of your place but enough to make the fur sticky and dirty feeling to kitty. This encourages her to wash and washing is supposed to be a very calming action after a stressful event.
Good thought on covering the carrier - IF kitten is stressed. In taking over 50 cats to the vets to be fixed in the last couple of years I have only had to do that twice. Both times with feral cats. The rest of the time I have found the cats are more interested in staring at me.
If you are going to use the cleaning trick then I would think butter on the front two paws are more than enough. By "explore" I hope you mean the house. Definitely not outside!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!