Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 21st, 2008, 01:22 PM

Question 2 year old Lhasa Apso wees & poos in house - please help!

Hi, I'm a newbie here. I was wondering if you could help me out at all please? I have 2 male Lhasa Apsos, one aged 3 and one aged 2. Oscar, my 2 year old dog is constantly weeing up my fridge, washing machine (up anything at all in the kitchen) and often pooing too. This occurs when we go to bed at night and whilst out at work. My older dog, Harry rarely has 'accidents'. I take them for walks every day and constantly encouraging them to wee in the garden. I really don't know what else I can do to stop him weeing all over the kitchen when we go to bed or work. I would be very grateful if any of you could offer me some friendly advise. Many thanks, Angela xxx
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

When was the last time Oscar was checked at the vets? It's possible he has an infection that needs cleared up. Is he fixed? Not being fixed could also lead to urinating inappropriately. What do you use to clean up after he has urinated or had a BM in the house. If you are using something that just masks the scent but doesn't actually get rid of it he can still smell it so therefore will think it's ok to continue to do this.

Have you thought about crating him while you are at work or at night? That is, of course, after you take him to a vet to make sure it isn't a health problem? Crating is not cruel. It sometimes helps in cases like this.

I am sure people with a lot more experience than me will be along soon to give you some good suggestions. It's been a long time since I've had that problem. Good luck

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:27 PM
Geek Club CEO

Sounds like you need to start at square one.

Pretend the naughty little guy is a brand new, unhousetrained puppy. Get a crate that will act as his safe haven and den (and therefore his CLEAN place), and establish and follow a schedule where he is taken out to pee/poo when he wakes up, after he eats, and after he's had a good play session. Crate him during the day when you're at work, and when you're in bed at night.

Expect temper tantrums about the crate, if he's never been in one. Ride it out, just like you would a puppy.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old August 22nd, 2008, 03:39 PM

just search for threads about crate training here, youll get more info than you can read in a week.

can we find a good one and set up a sticky?
Old August 23rd, 2008, 04:30 PM

Hi, thanks very much for your advise. I have made an appointment for Oscar at the Vets next week. Hopefully, he doesn't have any medical problems. I doubt it as he's done this from day one. He hasn't been fixed yet as he is an extremely anxious dog, I was kind of putting it off, but I do think this may help. I will speak to the Vet about it. As for the crate, I didn't know if it's seen as 'unethical', so have been searching the internet for ideas about this. This is when I stumbled across this great site!

I would really like to hear wht you think about crates? Is putting them in crates ok, seeming I'll be at work for 8/9 hours a day?

Also, he has a tendency to pull his blanket out the bed, put it in the middle of the kitchen and wee on it! Do you think, he wouldn't think twice about weeing in his crate?

I'm just using regular cleaning products at the moment.

I'm really grateful for all your help. Ang x

Last edited by Angiebaby3076; August 23rd, 2008 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Additional information