Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old July 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM

Smile Doxie Mom Newbie

I just got my little guy from a friend at work. He is about 6 months old. A mini Dachshund. My problem is housebreaking. He loves to go outside but he sniffs around but does not potty until he comes back into the house. This is my first Doxie so I don't know the best way to get him interested in using the bathroom outside. I bought piddle pads but he is not interested in them. Today I bought some spray to direct him to the pads. I hope I am doing the right thing. He is such a sweet dog and I love the fact that he loves the entire family and is not just a one person dog like my last sweetie.
Old July 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Mini Dachshunds are notoriously hard to train - actually I had one rescue who was absolutely terrified to "go" outside for fear of punishment - tells you something about the people who owned him first. I am sure your pup is enjoying the outside - no snow right now, lots to smell, squirrels to try and catch etc. - and stuff to eat! It will basically be a battle of wills - just praise the heck out of him when he does go outside. Re the piddle pads, I found it helps a lot if you put a piece of newspaper over the pad - my guys wouldn't go on them otherwise. I know a few others who experienced this as well. Definitely watch your pup's weight and minimize to the fullest extent possible the running up and down of stairs and jumping on furniture. If possible I would get a ramp - readily available these days. It is great that your pup loves everyone in your family. Over time, as puberty hits, he will probably start to show a preference for one or two family members, but this is common. At this stage might also love everyone he meets, but he is new to your home and has not yet claimed it as his. Dachshunds are terriers and can be very territorial. I had 2 wonderful Alphas - bossy but wonderfuly guys - the others were more even tempered - but how I miss the Alphas. You should read up on Dachshund neck and back disc disease. I don't know if you are going to get pet insurance, but if you live in Canada, you might want to check out VetInsurance - they provide coverage up to $20,000 lifetime per pet - and 3 years ago at least, this included Dachshund disc disease. My last guy died 3 years ago at 7 years but this particular plan was not in existence when we adopted him - and it is only one what would have covered his neuro bills. Something to think about since dog is under 1 year - and hopefully has not suffered a back event as yet. Don't be fooled into thinking that only older Dachshunds suffer from this - my first experience happened at 1 year. The important thing though for most coverages is to have pups neutered so as to allow coverage for all hormonal related illnesses. Would love to see a picture - I live vicariously through other Doxies these days - my Eskimo is jealous.
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:14 AM

Dachshunds

I agree with Snowdancer I had a minnie Dachshund (Jacque) for 11 years (July 15 will be a year he's past. Still miss him). As a puppy he loved every one but ended up being totally attatched to me. When we first got him I took him out often to potty. After a while he would wait by the door when he had to go(important to take him out often). When I was home he would only go out when I would open the door(try to get everyone in the home to participate in taking care of him that way he will love everyone).
And yes watch his weight. Dachahunds are very greedy. They will eat till they throw up. Being over weight is bad for their back. Try to teach him not to jump on the furniture or jump down or stand on his hind legs. When my dog jumped out of bed once he let out a yelp and went behind the sofa and would not come out. I took him to the vet he had injured his back and was given a cortazone shot and medicine. After that his back would act up once in a while. A friend found her Dachashund dragging his back legs she took him to the vet he was paralized They kept him their and was giving him medication that might have corrected it. If not he would need surgery that would cost about $3000. He died the next day of kidney failure.
About 2 years before Jacque died I was told he had a heart murmur.I wish I would have known more about murmurs he died of conjestive heart failure. He was a good friend
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:02 AM
-

Okay ~ that's it. You are cut off. No more "free" advice until you post some pics.