Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 7th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

The vet told me since we didn't exactly know what sort of bacteria she has, she needed to be on the Orbax, which was a broader antibiotic, and the Clavomax was to help her get relief quicker.

I'm happy to see that she's at least had relief. I've still got to talk to the vet about her wellness results and I want to know what the progress of her culture is. Not to mention, I'm not wondering if maybe too high a protein diet may have contributed to this. I want to prevent this from happening again.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I am SO glad she is doing better. My cat Ty had a bladder infection once and we didnt notice until he started going out of the litter box and not pee but just droplets of blood! Dont feel bad, it happens to everyone. He too went on antibioticts, they had to keep him overnight to get a sample from his small bladder. In a few days he was back to his chirpy self

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
I'm not wondering if maybe too high a protein diet may have contributed to this.
Nope. For one thing, the Innova isn't all that high in protein. It's quite high in fat, but the protein levels are actually less than what would be found in a mouse, so no worries there. Plus, there really isn't a correlation between meat-based (non-fish) dietary protein and UTIs anyway.

As for how to prevent a future occurrence, that could depend on what Oksana's lab results come up with. Urine ph can be a factor, and there are supplements that can help keep it within a more desirable range if Oksana is having trouble doing that on her own. Adding something like Cosequin, cornsilk or marshmallow root powder to help strengthen and sooth the lining of her bladder are other options. Stress can play a role for some cats as well (not saying that's the case here).

Ask for a copy of Oksana's lab results and we'll go from there.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Got the wellness results back.

Everything was normal. Now we just have to wait for her culture to come back and see what kind of bacteria she had. The vet said food is not the issue, so that's good.

The antibiotics are doing their job and she's much better. I am going to get some supplements you suggested SCM. It can't hurt.

I'm just so happy her results came back normal.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 7th, 2009, 07:45 PM
-

Glad to hear your wee girl is doing better.

Surprised the vet said that food wasn't the issue ....they usually try to sell you the crap stuff.
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM
~Cat Servent~

good news!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old November 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Glad to hear your wee girl is doing better.

Surprised the vet said that food wasn't the issue ....they usually try to sell you the crap stuff.
Oh no, she's totally on board with what I'm feeding them. I love going to her because she's really open minded.

Old November 7th, 2009, 08:03 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Oh no, she's totally on board with what I'm feeding them. I love going to her because she's really open minded.
I love vets like that ....mine is the same.
Old November 7th, 2009, 10:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yay for the good test results I'm glad she's feeling better.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 8th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Senior Contributor

A-G,great news for little Oksana,now you can relax again
Old November 8th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, now that I know her wellness results came back with all normal readings I can relax. That's a very detailed test and they test for everything. I'd like to do the others one by one as well over the next few months. Luckily, it isn't super expensive, about $54 for the package, as opposed to $250 if you do each test individually.

Thankfully, we should have the results of her culture by the time their vet is on again, and I prefer talking to her, since she's their usual vet.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:45 AM

Question Constipated Male cat...Have tried everything...He is on pumpkin&high fibre canned ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by friend2animals View Post
Hi ancientgirl,

I don't know if this will help, but, I have given my dog mashed up - all natural (NO salt, sugar, butters, oils, grains, etc), pumpkin/squash mixed in with her regular food. Not only does she love the taste, but it seems to help with her bowl elimination.

I couldn't say for certain whether this will help your kitty, but it might be a gentler, tastier alternative to other colonics...

Good Luck!

PS. Psyillium (on its own), is another product that is intended to aid in relieving constipation. You should be able to find this at a health food store
I have a cat that is contipated and I have tried it all accept Psyillium.
He has been to the Vet and is on Meds for constipation, he has had several
enemas and nothing yet accept a little liquid. I guess prayers are the only
thing left. I have spoken to 2 Vets and one said that surgery is not always
100% successful and it is very expensive.Any other suggestions. I am
running out of kleenex from my tears.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Guay View Post
I have a cat that is contipated and I have tried it all accept Psyillium.
He has been to the Vet and is on Meds for constipation, he has had several
enemas and nothing yet accept a little liquid. I guess prayers are the only
thing left. I have spoken to 2 Vets and one said that surgery is not always
100% successful and it is very expensive.Any other suggestions. I am
running out of kleenex from my tears.
Welcome to the forum Linda. You will probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread of your own.
I am sure we can get you some kind of help. If you need help in starting a thread I would be glad to walk you through the steps.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I just pm'd scm. Hopefully she can give you some more pointers.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Welcome to the forum Linda. You will probably get more responses to your questions if you start a new thread of your own.
I am sure we can get you some kind of help. If you need help in starting a thread I would be glad to walk you through the steps.
I will take you up on your offer. I am not a computer expert as you can see.
Whenever you are ready, I am too?
Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ok. Actually, from this page at the top where the blue print is, click on Cat health forum. It will open that particular forum for you. Click on the "New Thread" button which you will find right under where it says Cat Health Forum and above where the threads start.
You will then have your new thread started where you can ask your questions. Make sure you add your title. When you are finished click submit at the bottom of the "page" you are working on and your thread will be there.
Hopefully that helps.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 12:57 PM
150% PRO S/N

Ok, I posted the thread for you. Hopefully you can get some answers for your questions. Good luck.

Old March 23rd, 2010, 01:52 PM

Thank you so much you are a life saver.
My cat Blue can hardly wait for some answers regarding his constipation

He is only 4 years old and is a social butterfly.
I am so attached to all my pets so when they get sick I go to pieces.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 02:15 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Guay View Post
Thank you so much you are a life saver.
My cat Blue can hardly wait for some answers regarding his constipation

He is only 4 years old and is a social butterfly.
I am so attached to all my pets so when they get sick I go to pieces.

Linda - click on the link below. It will take you to the thread I started for you.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=69139