Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 22nd, 2005, 03:38 PM

Dog Auctions?

Okay, i'm hoping i can get some opinions on puppy mill dog auctions from you guys. Right now I do some rescue work with a local feral cat organization but when i move in a few months (to a place where i can have dogs) I'm hoping to start fostering dogs. I really wanted to get involved in some type of small breed puppy mill rescue (small breed because most of my dog experience comes from small breeds...bichons, particularly, thought it would be a good way to get my feet wet), seeing as how puppy mills were what made me want to help out in rescue to begin with. I have been talking to some US nationwide puppy mill rescues and a big part of what they do is go to these dog auctions the puppy millers will have, mainly in MO, and bid on, or "rescue" the dogs. I know this was discussed briefly awhile ago in a thread started by someone else, and someone had compared it to buying from a pet store. You help that one animal but enable the cycle to continue. I really have mixed feelings about the whole thing. When i spoke to someone that does this kind of work, she told me that they see it as removing the dog from the puppy mill cycle. She said the dog would be purchased no matter what, but usually from another puppy miller looking to add stock. Yet, i went to this internet forum where people discuss puppymill rescue work, and they were posting when auctions were going to be held and saying that they were not including the breeds they were going to rescue because millers check forums like that to see where the "demand" is. Sounds a lot like the whole pet store thing when you look at it like that. What do you guys think?
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:11 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

IMHO, I would think it would be more productive to stage some kind of protests at these auctions instead of buying the dogs. You could make some big signs and walk around with a bullhorn telling all the people where these pups they are bidding on are coming from. If even one person listens to what you are saying and passes it on, then it would be worth it. Besides, you can probably wait a week and go to your local dog pound and find at least a few of the dogs that were at auction to take to your rescue.
Old June 22nd, 2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Anything that puts money into the pockets of puppymillers is not helping the animals.

I agree with Kandy - word of mouth and education will go a lot further.
Old June 23rd, 2005, 08:15 AM

I started an auction thread a few months ago and see that you replied to me
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=13378

I had very mixed feeling about it, but have come to the conclusion that it is just putting money into the miller's pocket. It is not putting them out of business, it is keeping them in business. I would much rather rescue dogs from shelters, which i just did, and i can't tell you how incredible about giving this great senior deaf peke an awesome home.

"You could make some big signs and walk around with a bullhorn telling all the people where these pups they are bidding on are coming from. "
I have a feeling that there are two kinds of people who attend these auctions, the millers, who couldn't care less about where the dogs come from as long as they are "good producers" and then the rescue's, who already know where the dogs are coming from. I don't think your average 'going to a pet store to look for a cute pet to adopt' person would be attending these auctions. Those pet store people are the only ones i think would be swayed by a protest.
I remember reading about how a bichon (i believe) rescue bought all the bichons at one auction, showing the millers that there is a demand for a bichon, and the next auction, there were tons more bichons, and starting at way more $$. It kinda came back to them in a very bad way.
Sure, i would love to rescue all the peke's, but i know that there are tons of them being pts daily in shelters, so i would rather start there.
p.s. have you seen those horrible auction sites where they show you which dogs are going to be auctioned and all their info? it is so sad.