Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 30th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation Sophie had a problem with her spay

Wow Sophie was spayed on Dec 8th and I was a little concerned about her incision about a week later. Took her back to the vet and they said she was fine and the desolving stitches would go away. The vet also gave her antibotics as a precauthion. Today she flipped over and showed me her somache. Blood all over her. I had a a stroke a few years ago and it screws up my speech when i get streesed. Well it took my husband about 15 min to get home after called him at work. He knows that when I can't talk something is wrong. Took Sophie back to the vet and she had 2 ulcers under scabs by the desolvable stitches. I cried the whole time I was in there. My baby was hurting. They cleaned her stomache up, removed the stitches and back on antibotics for 10 days. So i made her a tee shirt to wear so nothing gets near those sores. I cleaned them tonight with perxoide and put some healing cream on it. Trying to bet her to take those huge pills was like walking a bag of snakes. Wiggle butt that she is. So she goes back for a check up in 7 days. This really freaked me out. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
Old December 31st, 2004, 01:13 AM
Shih-Tzu Mommy

This is just scaring the crap out of me ! Casey will be getting spayed next month. Can you put some light bandage on that like gauze? Doesn't the t-shirt ride up?
Old December 31st, 2004, 10:14 AM

The worst is over, your baby is on the mend.
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Dukieboy, it sounds like everything will be fine. Although Daisy didn't have the infection, she did have some bleeding and a little pus after her surgery. They used some kind of puppy super glue for her. I freaked, my wife called me a freak and told me it was normal (she had already talked to the vet). Sure enough, she was fine. It sounds like there was a bit of infection that probably looked more horrible than it was.
Old December 31st, 2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Put the pill in a soft treat that she loves. Have a second treat handy in your hand. Offer her the "loaded" treat first. Immediately, before she even starts to bite into the loaded treat, offer the second one. She'll swallow the first one whole just to be able to get the second. Greed works for Den-Den every time.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 12:58 AM
Has got it going on

Poor baby Sophie!! I'm so sorry you guys had to go through that Shay. I can't imagine how scary and upsetting it must have been for all of you. Hopefully all will be well from now on, just give Sophie lots of TLC.

And M_apol, I just had Sadie spayed a few weeks ago, and all went perfectly, so don't worry! What happened to poor Sophie was probably a crappy fluke.
Old January 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear you and porr Sophie had to go thru that. Fortunately, most of the spays my pets have had have been uneventful. I've had to "doctor" them to make sure they're OK but there have been no serious probs, thank good ness! I am sure she'll be fine.