Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 15th, 2005, 12:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Yowling cat

I have a stray cat staying in my bathroom. He cannot be brought into the apartment because of two other resident cats, also male. At night he cries and cries, quite loudly, putting me at some peril with my neighbours. He has all the requisites in there - heating pad, litter box, food. No light. He is quite young, somebody's lost pet, so it is understandable. I've tried crating him and bringing him into the apartment but he cries as loudly and it creates havoc with the other cats. I'm giving him Rescue Remedy but it doesn't seem to have taken hold yet. If anyone has any ideas for settling him down, I would be glad to hear them.
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger I am so sorry,you have one big problem :sad: and I have no clue as what to do,you are the experienced cat-rescue person.
I realize since you are in Montreal all the private rescues are probably full,he probably just wants out,even though it could kill him.
If with yowling you mean the sound my cats make on the way to the vet,I can see the neighbors concerns,cause it sounds like they are being tortured(not the neighbors,the cats!)
You'd think he would be happy having food and a warm place,maybe he'll give up his yowling,once he relaxes and gets used to the bathroom,hopefully!!
Old January 15th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

It's a bit of a situation. I haven't ruled out throwing him back outside, frankly, although it would be hard. He's making the other cats plenty nervous, although overall they are doing remarkably well. I'm just waiting for one of my neighbours (the nicer one, hopefully) to ring my doorbell. No money to lodge him at the vet's or I'd consider it. AND I'm working next week so will be unable to monitor him for long stretches. Damn. I'm betting he has lived with other cats because he is VERY interested in Simon and Badger. Just too risky to integrate him at this point. Don't 'spose there's someone out there who would consider fostering him. Apart from anything else, aside from regular food and a warm place to lay his head, this is not helping him in the long run.
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Senior Contributor

He's an intact tomcat who wants to go out. The drive to mate and fight for territory and females is very strong and intact toms will not stay in the house.

If it were possible to get him neutered, then he could be let back out. Hopefully he would hang around and you could still work on getting him a home.

Let me see if anything can be done to help with neutering.
Old January 15th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Lucky. He's going for his vaccinations this afternoon and then the ten day wait for neutering. I hope we can all hold out until then! Ideally, if someone could home him for that period - but I know I'm dreaming. What is the purpose of the ten-day wait anyway. I have never heard a reasonable explanation.

BTW, thanks for putting him on your site. I still think he's eminently adoptable. All those other sweet faces...
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,I hope it works out for him and you :love:
I dont know how cold it is in Montreal,but here it's -10C,the cats were outside for 2 seconds,I was out longer.So obviously they do not like the cold.
You could send him to me but my cats,especially Rocky,would go crazy...as you know he already did enough damage to me,so I ended up in the ER twice,because of a strange cat outside.
Whatever you do,I know you are doing the best you can for this beautiful kitty,does he have a name yet??
Old January 15th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Have you tried leaving a radio on for him? Maybe some backround noise & voices will give him some companionship until the big snip day arrives. Going from freedom to lonely confinement would make me howl too.

Just a thought.