Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Fish

Old August 26th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Betta Question (About the Aquarium)

I just bought a new betta. I bought it last night and took it up to school with me today. I set up her aquarium and let the water set to room temp and treated it. The aquarium instructions says I have to run the filter for at least 48 hours and then add the fish. Why is this? It this necessary? I hate leaving her in the cup for another two days, she looks unhappy. PLEASE help me.
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Hi there,
The instructions are to help you cycle the tank. Bettas don't need a cycled tank since they can 'air breathe' if necessary, but they can still be affected by ammonia poisoning... the thing about cycling is that you have to let the tank build up some level of ammonia so that the beneficial bacteria start to grow... I'm not sure the betta can survive that. To avoid cycling, you have to do frequent water changes for the fish. How big is the aquarium (and by the way to keeping your betta in an aquarium! and not a bowl!)

I'm going to post you a site to help learn about cycling: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html, or just google "cycling an aquarium".

If you want to do a cycle and use a filter, (and I think you should), you do have to get a water test kit and wait until the levels of nitrite spike and fall. A fishless cycle (using ammonia or fish food or a dead shrimp) is most humane, so research that. Sneaky Pete is a member who is really knowledgeable who will probably post and help soon. I wouldn't cycle with the betta; he'll be ok in the bowl for a few days, just do lots of water changes while you wait.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Actually, the reason you must run the aquarium for 48 hours has
nothing to do with cycling. Cycling does not start till you add
fish and takes approx 21-60 days to complete.
The reason you run the tank is to let the gravel dust settle and filter out, to stabilize the temperature and ensure the thermometer works so you dont end up with cooked fish, as well to make sure the tank doesnt leak and the filter works sufficiently.
Remember to change the bettas water 100% every day that he is in
the cup.
I know you keep saying she, but most bettas sold in shops are male.
If it has long flowing fins its a boy.