Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 10th, 2005, 08:40 AM
I love horses!!

any horse owners/lovers here?

Are there any horse owners/lovers here? Or am I the only one?

We are in the process of getting me my first (of my very own) horse. My hubby built me a corral and today we are going to start on one of three pastures. In a couple weeks I should have my very first horse!! Growing up my sisters all had horses but I was to "young" !! Well now I am 40 and we have our own property so guess what!!! I am getting a dang horse!! LOL

I just want to know if there are any more horse people out there.
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Welcome to the Board and yes there are. I have been riding for 35 years and owned several horses from the age of 16 onwards!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:42 AM
I love horses!!

ack.. i just noticed I put this in the wrong forum!!! oops!!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:46 AM
I love horses!!

cool!! I wish there was a seperate forum for horses here... but oh well...

I am trying to figure out what type of water sealer is safe for horses? We built a new corral and need to seal the poles. I can't decide if I want to paint or seal... I really don't want the traditional white... we live in heavy timber and that would just stand out to much. I want it to kinda blend in to the area... that is why I am leaning to just sealing instead of paint. Any ideas would be great!!
Old June 10th, 2005, 08:47 AM

That's ok, it's easily moved.

Welcome to the forums!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Agility Addict

Hi HorseCrazy!!

While I can't give you any good information about horse-safe-sealer, I can tell you that I also love horses! I've been riding since I was 12 but I unfortunately have yet to own my own horse :sad: . I take lessons and bum rides when I can and I used to take care of a few farm horses. I had them all to myself for a few years and they felt like they were mine.

Good luck with getting your first (I'm so jealous - but you've been waiting for this moment and worked towards it so you deserve it!)!! Do you have a special horse (or breed) in mind or are you still looking/researching?

Melissa
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I suggest you paint the posts with creosote as no matter what you apply to them the horse will nibble but with creosote they won't eat the posts. It will make the poles a brownish colour. It does smell awful though so be prepared to be overwhelmed with it and wear something you can throw out after as it stains like the dickens. Also check environmental regulations on it for your area. I think the one used on wood is referred to as Coal Tar Creosote. I did a whole barn in it when I was younger for my employer. Awful stuff but very effective. Their may be other products now on the market as well. Check with your local feed mill too!
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:16 AM
I love horses!!

Actually I have yet to see this horse ... he has been doing a job in another state. He is 4 and a reg. quarter horse gelding. He was on a trail the other day with the guy who is ridding him at the moment and he saw a bear come across the path. He reacted very well and didnt spook... which I think is great being he is soooo young. He will be back next week so I will get a chance to ride him then. I can hardly wait!!!!! I just hope all this waiting is not going to be a bad thing... I hope he is the right one for me!! Otherwise I will have to start looking again!! :sad:
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM

*Groan!!* I am soooo jealous! I absolutely LOVE horses. But I've only ever been able to rent them by the hour. :sad: I used to go to a place in St. Lazare every week-end, they got to know me well enough that they'd let me take a horse out on my own for 2 hours at a time - meaning there was no guide and I wasn't riding nose-to-tail with 15 other people. I used to request the same horse each time, and I'd always bring him carrots, so it got to the point that he'd whinny when I came into the barn. :love: That was as close as I ever came to having my own horse. That's my 6/49 dream, though. Win enough money to get that house with acres and acres of forest, we'd build a barn & paddock, and then run trails through the acres and acres of woods that we'd take turns using (me & my sister on the horses, the boys on their dirt bikes). *sigh!!* How much is the Super 7 worth tonight??
Old June 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

These are the two mares I had before we got transferred back to Quebec. Both live with friends now so I can visit them when I go back to Ontario regularly.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:45 AM

:love: :love: :love: I absolutely adore paints! :love: :love: :love:
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Although I don't own one now, we've had horses in the family since I was a kid. Good Luck with your new addition! I also love the paint horses, but have never owned one - the closest was an appaloosa. I don't think I could afford to feed one these days!
Old June 10th, 2005, 04:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
Although I don't own one now, we've had horses in the family since I was a kid. Good Luck with your new addition! I also love the paint horses, but have never owned one - the closest was an appaloosa. I don't think I could afford to feed one these days!
lol, your newfs eat as much as a horse!
Old June 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

We are horse lovers! We have 4 - Morgan, Paso Fino, Overo Paint & Rky. Mtn Horse.
In fact our dog training methods are based on 20 years of Horse Whisperer training. You should look up Pat & Linda Parreli (google them) and see how things have changed since you were young. The Natural Horsemanship methods of training are wonderful and so enlightening.
Welcome back to the horsey world! You must be so excited. Make sure you do your homework again - it's been a while since you had a horse and there might be some things you aren't thinking of if you haven't cared for a horse as an adult. I don't want to assume that you know everything just in case something important gets missed. I am sure you know colic can be easily caused. For instance - you can't just let them loose on green pastures if the horse hasn't been acclimated to them. Also consider getting a rescue companion for your horse - horses shouldn't be alone.
Creosote is toxic so be careful and pressure treated posts/rails have arsenic in them so be very careful.
I envy your excitement and good luck.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended

Last edited by tenderfoot; June 11th, 2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old June 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
banned user

Definite horse lover here- and Paints are my favorite!
Attached Images

Last edited by Cactus Flower; June 11th, 2005 at 01:29 PM.
Old June 11th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Serious horse lover here... my baby girl is now 6 as of 7 days ago.... here's her pic
Attached Images

Old June 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

WJRanch, your mare is stunning! I miss my gals terribly. Was so nice to walk out the back door, head up to the paddocks and hear them nicker hello. I always had a treat in hand to give them. Both my girls adore horses and have no fear of them so if they would just hurry up and be 5 then they can start officially riding.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:08 AM
I love horses!!

We decided on Behr plus 10.. the local hardware/feed store said that it was safe. So we got some of that. Now if it would quit raining I could actually put it on the fence!! lol It is suppose to rain all week so I guess it will be a while.
I will post a pic of this horse.. when I see it myself! LOL I really hope this month of waiting is worth it and he is the right horse for me. If not I will be sad but then I will start shopping again.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I love horses!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
We are horse lovers! We have 4 - Morgan, Paso Fino, Overo Paint & Rky. Mtn Horse.
In fact our dog training methods are based on 20 years of Horse Whisperer training. You should look up Pat & Linda Parreli (google them) and see how things have changed since you were young. The Natural Horsemanship methods of training are wonderful and so enlightening.
Welcome back to the horsey world! You must be so excited. Make sure you do your homework again - it's been a while since you had a horse and there might be some things you aren't thinking of if you haven't cared for a horse as an adult. I don't want to assume that you know everything just in case something important gets missed. I am sure you know colic can be easily caused. For instance - you can't just let them loose on green pastures if the horse hasn't been acclimated to them. Also consider getting a rescue companion for your horse - horses shouldn't be alone.
Creosote is toxic so be careful and pressure treated posts/rails have arsenic in them so be very careful.
I envy your excitement and good luck.
Yes I have read some of Pat and Linda's work.... they are very good!! My cousin who lives right next door has had horses all her life and has one now. She has filled me in on the grass problem and is a endless source of help and advice!
We are going to try and raise a calf for beef. We have heard that both will keep the other company. So hopefully this horse isn't to "cowy". lol If he is... I will just have to keep them in different pastures until he figures out he isnt suppose to chase "that" cow. LOL
Old June 12th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

oooooooooh horses! i started riding when i was 9 years old, got really serious into it, competed provincially in hunter, jumper for many years. i had a trakehner, a throroughbred and a belgium warmblood. :love: but i had to make a choice to keep going or have a normal life with friends, real job etc. being a stupid teenager, i didn't go all the way with it. i'll always regret that, but i am beyond happy with my life now. i guess everything happens for a reason! i still looooooove horses. especially paints! wjranch-beautiful mare!!! i'd actually like to rescue a PMU foal when i have more time/space to devote to a horse. just to have fun with and love, not have the pressure of competition.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:05 AM

I love horses also.

I think it is a good idea to ride the horse a couple of times before you buy it.

The reason I say this is because, about 10 yrs ago my dad had a friend that owned a quarter horse, he was a very friendly horse, BUT he was very picky about who could ride him. He broke the owners wife's leg, and a friend of the family daughter's arm when they tried riding him. His name was Rusty and he liked to buck alot when someone was on his back.

I was able to ride him after ALOT of convincing on my dad's part that I wouldn't get hurt.
I started out just going and brushing him, or using the lunge line with him. After a few months of being around this hourse I finally decided I should try and mount him.
He did try to buck me off at first, until he realized I wasn't going anywhere.
We then got along really well, (Although there was the one time he bit me on the shoulder because I was talking to someone else and not paying attention to him.
Just a little story to show, not all horses will accept other riders on them. Just remember there is a horse for you, and I hope this one is it.
Good Luck, I hope you enjoy him.
P.S. Just to let you know, RUSTY ended up dying because he decided to roll in the field one morning and ended up twisting his stomach inside out, if that makes sens e!!!
Poor thing
Old June 19th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey1
P.S. Just to let you know, RUSTY ended up dying because he decided to roll in the field one morning and ended up twisting his stomach inside out, if that makes sens e!!!
Poor thing
I'm sorry to hear about that, but I'd like to clarify your comment for other posters who might not understand.
Rusty was rolling due to colic pain (probably gas colic)...His stomach would have flipped over and twisted the gut(tortion colic)...not turned inside out
FYI
Old June 21st, 2005, 01:00 PM

Thanks for clearing that up.

I should have remembered that!
Old June 27th, 2005, 11:25 PM
banned user

Another horse lover here! Here are pictures....I am not sure if this will work or not. You will need to click slide show.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pi...il-AlbumInvite
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:42 PM

I have a horse too...

I have a 15 year old thoroughbred/hanoverian mare (reg. CSH) out of the hanoverian RCMP stallion "Laskan". Her name is Sunny and she is an ex-show/jumping horse...only "ex" because I'm not interested in doing much more then trail riding. When she was with her old owners she tore her tendon sheath. She was rested for a year and then was cleared to resume showing/jumping but the owner wanted to switch to cross country and the vet didn't think her leg would hold up for that. They put her up for sale but the Mother of the owner seemed to talk everyone out of her, saying she wasn't for beginners or was hard to handle, etc. Finally they decided that they would rather just give her away to a home that wouldn't just turn around and sell her in a couple years (and yes, I know that could backfire in many cases especially with such a valuable animal but it worked out this time). So, my friend and I decided to co-own her and split costs. Sunny has been a dream - I'm not exactly a beginner but I'm not a seasoned rider either and she has been great. She's a very sweet girl and loves to be groomed. She may be bred to an excellent quality thoroughbred stallion in the future, for CSH baby.

Jenny
Old June 29th, 2005, 08:01 AM
banned user

Are there any riders in the London, Ontario area on this forum?
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:03 PM

I have a horsey!!

I am in BC. I have a 6 year old Quarter Horse/Morgan Cross Gelding. He is 16.1 or there abouts, seems to me he is still growing...has more filling out to do...but beautiful none the less.

I have had him since he was born, his name is Gideon....just a mutt in the breeding department, but everything I could ever of wanted, great with my kids and just a wonderful mind set and conformation.Might have a bit of a biased opinion

This link will take you to a page that has a picture of him, the pic is almost 3 years old....he's the third one in the second row.....

http://www.islandhorses.com/forumpages/forum4.htm
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:21 AM
I love horses!!

OH MY GOSH!!! I am getting my very first horse tomorrow!!!! I had to wait for 35 years but the day is here!!! Well... almost!

Callie Diamond will come home to her forever home tomorrow!!! Soon as I get her... I will be taking pics!! LOL Soon as I get the roll finished I will take it to 1 hour photo and get them developed!! and then posted!! I really wish I could hug everyone!! LOL

I suppose you can't tell I am excited hahahahaha!!!

I guess I will try to go get some sleep.... like that is going to happen!!!

Pics coming soon!!!
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:02 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Oh my doG! I can't wait to see pics!!! What's she like? How'd you find her?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:25 AM
banned user

Congrats to you HorseCrazy! I am sooooo jealous! I have always wanted a horse... problem is I live in the city and I don't know a darn thing about them!
My niece has one though, she saved her money for years to buy it! She named him Bob Callie Diamond is a nice name though. :love:

Last edited by Sneaky2006; July 2nd, 2005 at 01:44 AM.