Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old November 3rd, 2003, 07:40 PM

Older cat eating lots but losing weight

My cat is 11 years old. She was at the vet 2 months ago with a bladder infection. Since then she has been peeing regularly and in her litter box. However, she is frantic when it comes to feeding. She cannot get enough. She literally climbs the cupboards (can't jump anymore). She is not gaining weight and I wonder if this could be a thyroid problem?
Old November 4th, 2003, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it certainly could be a thyroid problem. She needs a blood test to determine the problem and can get medication to regulate it.
Old November 4th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Could it also be worms?
I don't know how common this might be for older cats...I know it's common in kittens & puppies. Usually there's also a slightly bloated abdomen, but not always.

Just a thought, if it's not a thyroid issue....
Old November 4th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Cat Lover

Diabetes can also present with loss of weight and voracious appetite. My cat presented with weight loss and increased thirst. A complete blood count, sugar and thyroid are the tests I used for my cat's dx. Good luck!
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:45 PM

older cat losing weight

Thanks to all who responded to my question. I did have her checked for worms and the test came back negative. A couple of years ago another vet told me that he felt a lump around her throat and said that it could be thyroid related. That is why I thought of that even though I don't know how cats act when they have this condition. I will have to take her to the vet again.
Old November 4th, 2003, 01:48 PM

another older cat question

I was just wondering Marrielle if your cat was also very tired and if she had some stiffness in her back legs or back end? Thanks!
Old November 5th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Cat Lover

Yes she was a little more tired than usual but it was easy to miss as she started to slow down bit by bit starting at around age nine. She has some drag in the hind but she also has OA so that was not connected to her diabetes. I do think a complete blood work up is a good idea at some point when a cat becomes senior. It's easy to miss so much at that stage I find.
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:23 PM

Smile

Marrielle, thanks again for your reply. I am taking rosie to the vet tomorrow for complete blood work. Cheers
Old November 6th, 2003, 11:52 AM
Cat Lover

Good luck at the vets'. I will hope for the best for you both!
Old November 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Hyperthyroidism is a strong possibility, as well as diabetes. I would recommend blood thyroid levels, blood glucose and fructosamine, as well as a blood panel and urinalysis to screen for secondary disease that may be complicating the clinical picture. Additionally, Cushing's syndrome (hyperadrenocorticism) may also cause similiar symptomology.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old September 20th, 2004, 12:37 AM

Cat Loosing Weight

undefinedundefinedundefined

My Husband And I Moved Almost Two Months Ago, At Least Two Hours From Our Home Town. We Have Two Cats. They Both Seem To Be Adjusting To Their New Home Well, But Our Oldest Cat Of Almost 9 Years Has Lost A Lot Of Weight I Have Noticed Some Black Stuff On Her Chin, But I've Not Seen Any Bad Teeth. I Never See Her Eat, Even Though She's Uses The Cat Litter Box Almost Four Or Five Times A Day. Not Too Long Ago, We Took Her To The Vet, Because She Has The Habit Of Rubbing Her Bottom On The Rug Or Floor After Using The Cat Litter Box. Anyway, She Had Rubbed It So Raw, That It Began To Bleed, So We Were Told To Treat It, Which We Did. The Problem Did Correct Itself, But It Worries Me She Is Loosing Weight.

Do You Think That Perhaps She Is Lonely? Do You Think She Is Perhaps Not Happy? She's Almost Skin And Bones. I've Recently Brought Her Some Soft Food In Case She's Having Dental Problems. We Don't Have The Money To Take Her To The Vet And I Have Consider Force Feeding Her, But Don't Know If This Is Best And If It Is, How To Best Do It.

I May Not Check This Site Often, So Please Send Replies To My E-Mail Address...eagleraccoon@nts-online.net
Old September 20th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Your cat is suffering, is "skin and bones" yet won't eat. If you dont' take her to the vet she will probably die. If you can't get her the treatment she needs, please at least have her euthanized so her suffering will end.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 06:24 PM

Liver Disease

I Just Found Out My Cat, Baby Has Liver Disease! The Vet Told Me About 30 Mintues Ago And Suggested That She Be Brought Into The Vet Right Away, So They Can Put Some I-Vs In Her. Anyway, I Don't Know How Serious Liver Disease Is, Especially In A Cat Or What To Expect In The Long Run. I Love My Cat A Lot, But Another Dilema We Face Is I Know My Husband And I Cannot Afford A Huge Vet Bill. We Really Cannot Afford A Vet Bill At All. What Would Some Of You Suggest. We Probably Need To Make Somekind Of Decesion In The Next Day Or Two. Thank You.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Question Well...

Well I am sorry if I am doing this all wrong... But I have a cat and he is about 11 months old. I got him nudered when he was about 8 months old. Before I took him in, he was very fat and lazy. Now he lost lots of weight, hes more active, but I am worried because hes keeps loosing weight, and I am not sure what could the problem be. Does anyone here know anything about this??
Old July 18th, 2007, 11:25 PM

pytheas this thread is 3 years old, in order to get better responses from members you need to start a new thread.

Usually when neutered they will lose a bit of weight but if 3 mths later he is still losing weight you need to take your cat to the vet.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Older cat eating and drinking, but losing weight fast

I have a 16 (almost 17) year old cat and she ws recently dx's w/ kidney problems, she has only 2/3 function, anyways, she is better, but I have noticed that she has been eating alot and as always drinking alot and she is just skin and bones and losing weight fast. Is there anything I can do, maybe a different food to fatten her back up?? Any suggestions??
Old March 11th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittiema View Post
Is there anything I can do, maybe a different food to fatten her back up?? Any suggestions??
What does she eat now?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittiema View Post
I have a 16 (almost 17) year old cat and she ws recently dx's w/ kidney problems, she has only 2/3 function, anyways, she is better, but I have noticed that she has been eating alot and as always drinking alot and she is just skin and bones and losing weight fast. Is there anything I can do, maybe a different food to fatten her back up?? Any suggestions??
Kittiema is your girl getting fluid therapy?
Has she been tested for HyperThyroidism?

Old August 12th, 2010, 01:12 PM

Older cat eats, has a thyroid problem and gains no weight

My cat is 14, almost 15, years old. She has been diagnosed with a thyroid condition for about 3 years. She eats a good amount and takes her medication yet she is very boney and does not gain weight. Also, she likes to lay on cold floors (it is summertime currently) and sometimes will lay on her water bowl. Also, she is starting to smell a little. We got a new kitten about two months ago but they are used to each other by now so I don't think that is the problem. Any idea why my cat is acting strange? Thanks
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycat1211 View Post
My cat is 14, almost 15, years old. She has been diagnosed with a thyroid condition for about 3 years. She eats a good amount and takes her medication yet she is very boney and does not gain weight. Also, she likes to lay on cold floors (it is summertime currently) and sometimes will lay on her water bowl. Also, she is starting to smell a little. We got a new kitten about two months ago but they are used to each other by now so I don't think that is the problem. Any idea why my cat is acting strange? Thanks
You might want to start a new thread so that more people see your post, but in the meantime:

When was the last time your cat had a complete senior exam with blood work and a urinalysis? It could be that she needs an adjustment in her medication, or perhaps she's developed another issue besides the hyperthyroidism (such as renal insufficiency, or diabetes).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 12th, 2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
You might want to start a new thread so that more people see your post, but in the meantime:

When was the last time your cat had a complete senior exam with blood work and a urinalysis? It could be that she needs an adjustment in her medication, or perhaps she's developed another issue besides the hyperthyroidism (such as renal insufficiency, or diabetes).
Thank you, I made this a new thread. She got blood work and a urinalysis just a month or so ago. They did say she was developed kidney disease. Could that have reacted on her so quickly?
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM

I have an eleven year old Siamese that has lost weight but is still eating properly. A trip to the vet, who performed a senior panel (blood work) and the exam produced nothing out of the ordinary. So, a thyroid problem, kidney and liver difficulties, were ruled out. As a result of the "clear" blood work the vet stated the next step would be to examine the cat internally by ultrasound, scoping the lower and upper GI tract for possible tumors, cancer, etc. These tests will be performed within the next week.
Old December 14th, 2011, 02:48 AM

jerryb425 Was there a urinalysis performed at the same time as the blood panel? If not I would request one, kidney function can't be fully determined without a urine test.

If the urine was tested I would ask for that & the T4 panel to be retested again in about 3 weeks for a comparison to the one just taken.

Sometimes cats that have beginning stages of kidney insufficiency have good blood results but the Urine Specific Gravity is a tip off that something is going on. Untreated kidney issues can also mask thyroid problems as the kidneys are over working to pump blood through and that makes the thyroid hormone levels look normal.

& let us know what the ultrasound shows