Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 17th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Agility Addict

Anyone have CGN/CGC??

Hiya,

Just wondering if anybody's dog(s) has their Canine Good Neighbour or Canine Good Citizen Certificate?? BTW - are these tests identical or slightly different?

What do you think or did you find to be the most challenging part(s) of the test??

Because Dodger is so friendly and exuberantly displays this in as goofy a manner as possible, I think all the parts requiring him to remain calm (or show mild interest) when greeting a person or dog will be the hardest!!! Also, he has never been left alone with a stranger before so that will need to be worked on!

Do you guys think that its important to have?

I would imagine that it would be really good for "scary/aggressive" breeds to have?

Melissa
Old July 17th, 2005, 04:39 PM
-

They are pretty much the same. One is offered by AKC and the other from CKC.
Old July 17th, 2005, 06:12 PM

The most difficult part is the sit-stay, depending on the tester. Some will only let you give ONE command/signal and you can't repeat it. The dog has to hold it while you walk away (30 ft if I recall?) and not break it til you return and release.

Depending on your dog the separation from owner could be tough too.

Anyone with a breed that faces discrimination would be wise to get a CGC on their dog. It's kind of hard for people to accuse your dog of being vicious when you can show them that an unbiased, objective person has found your dog worthy of a CGC.
Old July 18th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

You can read all about what is involved in the test, etc in detail HERE
Old July 18th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Brina is 11 weeks old now and is doing quite well in her testing. She will sit/stay for as long as you leave her in the command, her downfall right now is that she is still at the nipping stage so I have to place a rawhide in her mouth and tell her to "hold" while the seniors pet and fawn over her. She is not yet certified but the home is where my grams used to be and I'm known as "that little animal girl" (nice name huh?) *L* I've brought in many animals to show them, most of them are my rehabs, squirrels, chipmunks, skunks, an iguana, two hedgies and my chinchilla along with all my dogs. So I think we'll go for certification when she hits the 6 month period so I can visit daycares with her.

Last edited by Melinda; July 18th, 2005 at 11:13 AM.