Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 16th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

cat breed question.

Ok, my friend brought her kitten over here to show me her. One of her relatives said that all balck and white cats are siamese, is that true? And also that all siamese like to claw everything. I can't imagine that being true at all. I can post a picture of the kitty, if you guys want......
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Cat Whisperer

All black and white aren't Siamese... heck, all Siamese aren't even black and white! There are lilac and flame pointed Siamese too. I don't think anyone would consider a "tux" cat (the black with white bib) to be Siamese. As for them scratching more, I'd never heard it, but I can't imagine it'd be true. They are more vocal however, and in general love to "talk".
Tailchaser and Scuffledig, Gerbils
Old July 17th, 2005, 10:41 AM
<-----nut ball

My BIL's family showed and bred siamese cats for years! When I was a kid (maybe 5 or so) we would go over to his parents house and see the new kittens (my sister is 15 years older than me, so that's why she was married when I was still so little). That was when I found out I was allergic to cats, because I got scratched up so much and all them turned into huge welts!! I was told after that they are the scratchiest cats of all. THese kittens were climbing the curtains, walls, furniture, everything!
Old July 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM
banned user

I've heard that they can be more destructive and vocal than other cats.
But no, not all black/whie cats are siamese. Thats absurd.
Old July 17th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
THese kittens were climbing the curtains, walls, furniture, everything!
All kittens do this. Every one I ever had did it, and the Siamese was no worse than any other. They were all equally rotten.
Old July 17th, 2005, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't think so. Here is a picture of the kittie in question.... crazy little thing, that's for sure. She is so energetic, glad she was over just for a visit!!!!
Attached Images

Old July 17th, 2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Now, now Lucky, quitpicking on the Siamese, lol (I know you're joking - so am I, )

Lilith, your friend is very wrong and incorrect. Siamese have VERY specific characteristics and MUST have colour points, certain behaviours - that they yes, share with some other breeds -, tend to have svelte bodies unless they are the larger Appleheads favoured when Siamese first became popular in North America (say from 1920's-1960's). The most well known colour point are the Seal Points (like my baby YY) but blue points have also been accepted for some time by cat fancy groups.

There was quite a controversy in having the registries accept the otherpoints - tho chocolate point is now well accepted. Others, like flame point, lilac point, etc are accepted by some groups, not by others. BUT a jellicle cat that is simply black and white - unless s/he has some Siamese mix in her - is NOT Siamese. A picture would he helpful but I doubt this litty is Siamese.

Siamese are hardly alone in climbing curtains. YY has never tried it but then she is such a well mannered little diva - she just breaks the occasional teapot and climbs to the top of the TV stand, lol

To suggest a black and white cat is a Siamese is not at all correct. This kitty MIGHT be a tuxedo cat tho (NOT a breed, just a colour combo) unless s/he has some points that are quite defining indicating maybe some Siamese in her?

Oops, just saw the pict - she is a tuxedo kitty. Cute but no, NOT Siamese.

Last edited by CyberKitten; July 17th, 2005 at 04:04 PM.