Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old March 26th, 2007, 05:31 PM

LorieN

Hi everyone:

This is my first "real" visit to the site, now that I am all signed up. Are there others here from Waterloo?

This is a great site, with lots of diversity and enthusiastic members.

I have question and wonder where on the site is best for me to ask it. Our older cat, now nearing 7 1/2, is showing behaviour that is "sillier" than behaviour from, say 2 years ago. For example, he now will occasionally chase his own tail, very unlike him. I saw a recent reference indicating that dogs and cats show age-related cognitive impairment, but the ages were older (e.g., well into the teens for cats). So it seems a bit early for our Buddy to be getting the sillies. Any thoughts or personal observations?

Enjoy your pets!

LorieN
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Slave to Roland & Willis.

Welcome to the forum LorieN
maybe he has just discovered that it is, in fact fun to play with! or maybe hes regressing into kittenhood again. I dont really have an answer for you. i guess he is a little young to be going senile but who knows. I would say as long as he is happy and eating and drinking well, he may just be reliving his youth. if you are really worried talk to your vet who may be able to give you some other ideas. im sure you will get some other insights on here pretty soon too!!
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:46 PM
-

Welcome to pets.ca ! Please define "silly" ~ I thing I'm THERE! Seriously, if you are looking for info on cat behavour then you may want to post in either "General" or "On Topic".

BUT ~ don't even think of doing it with pictures ~ just kidding.
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Live well, laugh often

Welcome to the forum. We'd love to see some pics .

Have you done a recent food change, maybe he is just feeling better. Some cats mellow as they age so maybe he is just relaxing and enjoying life a bit more. If the behavoir change is significant or disturbing to you then it is always a good idea to get a vet check-up.
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome Lori from someone from the Maritimes! I hope you enjoy the Board.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:06 PM
-

Welcome to the forum and we'd love to see pics of Buddy. The next time Buddy goes in for his booster shots ask to have a blood panel done. It's a wise thing to do for pets once they get 7-8 yr. old.
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Kitty Consort

Welcome to the site, LoriN.
I'd say that your'e cat's behaviour isnt related to age. He's pretty far yet from the age where this might be a factor.

If he is doing well in all other areas, maybe just feeling his "oats".
Frisky behaviour in a mature cat is a great thing, but as mentioned.. if its troubling you, could have him checked over by a vet for your peace of mind.

I've two seven year old cats.. and find they have changed somewhat over the years. They are more both affectionate and calm than when younger.
More typically sedate too,... but they still have their sillly moments, which I love to see.

Will look forward to seeing pics of your kitty!