Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Closed Thread

Old January 29th, 2005, 03:53 PM
Free The Animals

Exclamation Big White

My big big Whitie is in need of a new home. He was rescued from an alley in St. Henri 6 years ago. He had somehow managed to survive through 4 winters on his own after his original owners moved away.
My nine cats and I are now being threatened by a neighbor. There is a strong possibility she will report us to the city in the near future. Because Whitie goes outdoors, I am urgently looking for a suitable home for him. He is an extremely affectionate solid 16 pounder. Although he was neutered 6 years ago, he continues to spray in the house unless he gets adequate outdoor time. It is possible that a couple of the other cats are stressing him and contributing to his spraying and it would be worthwhile trying things out in a home with no other cats. He might also be an ideal cat for a home in the country.
Attached Images

Old January 29th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

What a lovely boy. I don't suppose you can persuade somebody living close by to take him, so he doesn't have to leave 'his' neighbourhood. Sigh. I have a cat looking for a home too. Good luck!
Old January 29th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Senior Contributor

He certainly is a beauty....I too have a cat who sprays,he's destroyed some good pieces of furniture,I am not sure why he does this,could be stress,because he's a healthy big neutered cat at 8yrs old.
But never in a million years will I part with him,I am going to try Rescue Remedy,see if that will help to relieve any stress he feels.
Now,I only have three cats,you have nine(wow!!!)and I give you kudos for rescuing this beauty,the problem is,who'd want a cat who sprays :sad:
He would more than likely end up back on the street...
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I believe that spraying by neutered cats, after infection has been ruled out, is entirely behavioural and that some cats are a little more sensitive to what's going on around them. You are smart to look for a home where he will be the only cat, since this might be the solution. Nine furbabies! I am in awe. Rescue Remedy definitely works for some, so good luck with that.
Old January 29th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Free The Animals

neutering

I am presently trying Feliway pheromone diffuser. It does seem to be reducing the frequency a bit, but two of my other cats ( also late neuter cases) harrass Whitie quite a bit and he is definitely the sensitive type. I believe this gentle giant might fair quite well as an only cat, or in the company of a dog or a female cat
What exactly is Rescue Remedy ?
Old January 29th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescue Remedy is a natural calming substance. I would definitely try it. I recently learned you can get it at Loblaw's.

Some cats cannot tolerate the presence of so many other cats, and spray to comfort themselves, by spreading their own scent around.

I would be glad to put Whitey on my Petfinder site. He is very beautiful and we may be able to find him a home with only one other (or no) cats.

Please send me your contact info (tel.no and/or email addy) if you want me to list him!
laurent376@hotmail.com

St.Henri and similar areas are Cat Hell.
Old January 29th, 2005, 10:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Are you saying Whitie is 10 years old? Sorry I didn't read carefully.

I'll try and see if some special person is out there for him. We've adopted out older cats than him.
Old January 29th, 2005, 11:09 PM
Free The Animals

I think he is between 8 and 10. He has no health problems except residual rhino sniffles on occasion, and has huge healthy strong teeth.
Closed Thread