Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 17th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Senior Contributor

New kitty

Hi
As some of u know I have a new house guest. Growler tells me it is a diluted calico and probably female. I'm calling her Darcy for the moment, but that may change.

She was a stray and seen around town for 2 weeks. My friend called me for help as it was out on her window sill in the rain at night meowing to get into her house and trying to get in thru the door whenever my friend came home from work. She is very allergic to pets and can't touch them never mind live with them.

So I now have her and she is adorable and full of lovins. Her white was grey but it cleaned up some after a few brushings, which she loved! her fur is getting softer with every brushing and she loves the brush!

So anyways,,, I've given the cat/kitten wet food, but it looks like it doesn't know how to bite at it's food to grab the meat chunks. So then I gave it some pate, but I keep having to add water to it, like a soup. Is that going to be enough for this poor thing? (I have to do this with Willie, but Willie willie will eventually lick up all the food.)

I thought this was a cat when I first saw it, but after it cleaned up a bit it looks younger and it doesn't weigh much. I won't be able to bring it to the vets until Tuesday as the vet is going away for the weekend. I don't want to start introducing it until it is checked out. It has met Tegan and didn't freak out. It didn't go near her but didn't growl eaither. It also doesn't know how to play with toys!

Is there anything I should know about bugs, germs she could pass to me or the others? I'm a bit worried about fleas, I don't even know if we get fleas up here.

Do u think it is getting enough food? I am going to blend up some chicken later and put the wet food on top of it and see if she will eat that. I have been doing that with Willie's food lately and he seems to get some of it.

I don't know if Darcy has been fixed and if she hasn't and has been roaming around she could be pregnant! She is declawed so I'm hoping she is fixed.

Sorry I'm a bit of a worry wart when it comes to my animals.

Debbie
Attached Images

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 17th, 2009, 06:53 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Well, seeing as she has been declawed I would think she has also been fixed. That normally goes hand in hand.
Have you put up found posters or looked for missing posters for her? If she's been declawed it is possible she isn't a stray. She may have just escaped her owner.
For right now as long as she is eating I would say it's ok. She needs to eat. It's possible she was only fed dry before and doesn't know how to react to canned.
I would not let her in with the general populance until she has been checked by a vet. And also checked for a microchip. It's possible she has worms, fleas, and other diseases she may pass on to yours.
Good luck. And thank you for bringing her in.
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM
Catlover2

Darcy looks to be full grown. Certainly a very beautifully marked dilute calico (my faves). She certainly doesn't look like she's lacking enough food, or is it just her very plush coat? If she has fleas, you should be able to see small black specks of "flea dirt" if you look through her coat to the skin, especially on back of neck. I would certainly keep her isolated from your other cats until she's been checked out by a vet, just in case she is carrying any disease, Feline Leukemia, etc. To be on the safe side you should always wash your hands after you've handled her before touching your other cats. This is a good rule to use anytime---whether petting a stray or someone else's cat. The fact that she's declawed indicates she was someone's pet. Have the vet check for a microchip. Do try to find her owner.

Last edited by catlover2; July 17th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old July 17th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

she is gorgeous!! Love her eyes.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old July 17th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Have you put up found posters or looked for missing posters for her? If she's been declawed it is possible she isn't a stray. She may have just escaped her owner.
For right now as long as she is eating I would say it's ok. She needs to eat. It's possible she was only fed dry before and doesn't know how to react to canned.
I would not let her in with the general populance until she has been checked by a vet. And also checked for a microchip. It's possible she has worms, fleas, and other diseases she may pass on to yours.
Good luck. And thank you for bringing her in.
Thanks. There has been noboday asking about her, nothing at the vets, no posters, radio, nothing in the papers.. nothing. My friend spoke to the animal control person before bringing her here and no one has been asking about her. A lot of people have moved away from up here because the main buisiness was shut down so I'm thinking maybe they just released her. But I'm going to keep checking the bulletin boards at the malls and grocery stores too etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catlover2 View Post
Darcy looks to be full grown. Certainly a very beautifully marked dilute calico (my faves). She certainly doesn't look like she's lacking enough food, or is it just her very plush coat? If she has fleas, you should be able to see small black specks of "flea dirt" if you look through her coat to the skin, especially on back of neck. I would certainly keep her isolated from your other cats until she's been checked out by a vet, just in case she is carrying any disease, Feline Leukemia, etc. To be on the safe side you should always wash your hands after you've handled her before touching your other cats. This is a good rule to use anytime---whether petting a stray or someone else's cat. The fact that she's declawed indicates she was someone's pet. Have the vet check for a microchip. Do try to find her owner.
Thanks CL. Her fur is very plush, I've never seen fur like that before.

I always wash my hands even after handling my own cats. And unfortunately we don't have microchips up here.

When I have been brushing her I keep looking for flea speaks too.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 17th, 2009, 03:57 PM

You can check to see if she has fleas by rubbing her fur over a piece of white paper, and then wet the paper.. You'll see what looks like blood leaking from the little specks that fell onto the paper, which is either melting flea poop or what was a very content flea. :/

She's very pretty- the fancy way to say her colour is 'blue tortoiseshell and white bicolour'. I love dilute and tortie cats. <3