Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM

Removing cat hair from bedding?

I've looked through the numerous threads regarding shedding and how to deal with cat or dog hair everywhere, but I'd like advice specifically on how to deal with shedding on bedding or linens.

I have two short-haired kitties, and even though they eat high quality wet food (Instinct or Natural Balance) and I brush them (with a Furminator) and vacuum the carpet/upholstery multiple times during the week, they tend to shed a lot when the seasons change. We have a white duvet cover (I know, not the smartest choice) and a light blue quilt and shams, and they're just COVERED in cat hair. My little boy kitty likes to sleep under the duvet or on top of one of the pillows - he has black hair. It's everywhere - I mean everywhere! I wash our sheets every week, but I've only been washing the duvet every few weeks. I was hoping someone could suggest an effective and efficient way to remove the hair from the bedding - without vacuuming. We have a great attachment on our vacuum, but it catches and ruins the bedding. I've used the lint remover that has sticky sheets on a roll, but it's so wasteful, I need 4-5 sheets just to de-hair the bed. We use one of these downstairs on our furniture:

Pledge Fabric Sweeper

But it doesn't work so well on bedding. I've heard that there are special sponges that work well, dry sponges that kind of sweep the hair off - if anyone has any suggestions I'd be grateful.

I realize I'm asking a kind of ridiculous/impossible question - I don't think there's any good solution to this, and I just have to learn to live with the shedding this time of year. But just in case...I thought I'd ask.
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:44 PM
-

I gave up and just throw an old sheet over the bedding.
Old February 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Doggie Wench

I throw top sheets over our bedding too. I shake it out daily and throw it in the laundry every few days. The dryer removes all the fur.
Old February 7th, 2011, 05:44 PM

So I tried this today...and my cats loved it...loved hiding under it!! I came home and there were two cat-shaped lumps under the sheet.

I've all but given up. It's easy with the furniture, as we have a great vacuum attachment, but on the bed it's another story. It's their favorite spot to be - can't blame them, it's pretty dang comfy. My mom has this sponge that she likes - I'll have to call her and ask what it is. I wish there was a magic wand for this (among other things).
Old February 8th, 2011, 01:55 PM
-

LOL ....gotta love cats.

Mine used to do that so I used a king sized sheet for the queen size bed and tucked it in all around .....it didn't look the best but it worked and now they don't try to go under so I don't have to. Maybe it will work for you.
Old February 9th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Throw fur covered stuff in the dryer on air (with a bounce sheet) then clean out the lint trap, you'd be surprised by how much fur you find.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM

happycat - will any dryer sheet work? I could get some of those fragrance-free sheets, that would be worth a shot.

I do love my babies - but sometimes it's so frustrating to not be able to have "real" furniture or bedding. They find a way to "put their mark" on everything. Even the dining room table - Fitzy likes to stand on his back feet, stretch his front paws onto the corner of the table, stick his claws out, and stretch, while seeing if there's anything good on our plates. If it's fish, he hops up on the seat next to me and waits for a bite. He also has a taste for leather - hide your shoes and bags! Brats!