Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old January 21st, 2011, 02:09 PM

kitten vomiting

Okay guys, here's the deal: Gizmo has vomited every morning for the last three mornings. There's no food in it, it's just bile coming up. He's eating, drinking, pooing and peeing just as he always has. I have a vet appointment for Monday with instructions to watch him over the weekend to see what happens. I'm not very reassured, and I'd like some idea of what the problem could be, or what I can do to help him not vomit. I know when the dog gets an upset stomach, I can put him on a boiled hamburger (gets all the fat out) and rice combo, which he loves and which is very, very mild in order to give his system a rest. Keeping in mind the Gizmo isn't quite 6 months yet, is there something similar I can do for him? Maybe cooked, lean chicken or fish? And advice would be appreciated!
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassy3399 View Post
Okay guys, here's the deal: Gizmo has vomited every morning for the last three mornings. There's no food in it, it's just bile coming up. He's eating, drinking, pooing and peeing just as he always has.
When and how much does Gizmo get fed? Is he vomitting before breakfast? Some cats can get kinda nauseous if they have an empty stomach for a long time, like overnight.

Also could be a hairball that isn't coming up.

Vet appt is a good idea just in case. In the meantime, giving Gizmo a bedtime snack or leaving some canned food out overnight might be worth trying if you don't already do this.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:19 PM

he gets Iams dry kitten food, supplemented with their wet as a treat 3 times a week. I tried switching him to just the wet and he ended with diarrhea, so we've found this mix of dry/wet, which seems to work well. or was, anyway. and he goes through 3/4 cup of the dry per day. I put it out in the morning when I get up (about 10 in the morning) and when I get home from work (about 12:30 or so at night) it's gone. I'll try giving him a little bit extra tonight to see if that helps.
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:54 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I would think, as SCM does, that he is hungry and his belly is a bit upset. I would leave some canned food out for him to munch on overnight.
I bet if you did a gradual increase of canned/gradual decrease of dry that Gizmo's diarrhea issues would get better. It is normal for a cat to have diarrhea with a sudden diet change but, with time, it improves. It is the same as us if we eat something we normally don't. Like more veggies in your diet. You could try maybe a tblsp of canned to start gradually, over the course of a week or two, increasing it till he is eating almost all canned and very little dry. It really is healthier for him to be eating canned.
If you don't want to do that would you consider dropping the Iams and trying a corn free, grain free dry. Corn is not digestable for us. I don't know why the pet food industry insists that cats and dogs can digest it. In fact they can't. Grains are also not a good choice for an obligate carnivoure such as cats are. There are some good options available at Global or Pet Valu pet stores.
A really good web site to read is www.catinfo.org . Some of the info in there is mind blowing.

Oops, I think I read that wrong. Is it the Iams they get three times a week or the wet?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; January 21st, 2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 12:02 AM

That is a much more gradual increase/decrease schedule than what I tried! I started out with about a quarter of a can of the wet. As soon as I get the vomiting under control, I'll try again to do a full switch over. I would rather have him on the wet food, with hopefully set meal times (with maybe some dry kibble on the side for if he gets the munchies) as the dog is on set meal times and pouts that he's not permitted to nibble the cat's food. I'm hopeful that the vomiting is just that he's gotten hungry, and since he's only doing it over night while I'm asleep, and there's no hair mixed in and I don't own any houseplants and all chemicals are locked up, the evidence so far supports that. I'll let you all know how it goes in the morning!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post

Oops, I think I read that wrong. Is it the Iams they get three times a week or the wet?

Actually, Iams makes a dry and wet. He gets their kibble daily, and Iams wet three times a week. For now, anyway. Petsmart carries the Wellness brand, which I saw recommended on that website. I definitely like the ingredients listed on the Wellness brand a lot more than what Iams puts in their cat food, so we'll be making a trip this afternoon, I think, so we can start changing him over.

In other news, no vomit! I got home last night and gave him an additional 1/4 of a cup of his kibble, and he chowed it down. I put extra in when that was gone, but I guess the 1/4 cup was all it took, since he didn't nibble on the second portion. I'll keep watching him over the weekend, but I'm feeling pretty good that the problem is solved. Even if I'm feeling lousy that the poor guy was going hungry
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassy3399 View Post
Actually, Iams makes a dry and wet. He gets their kibble daily, and Iams wet three times a week. For now, anyway. Petsmart carries the Wellness brand, which I saw recommended on that website. I definitely like the ingredients listed on the Wellness brand a lot more than what Iams puts in their cat food, so we'll be making a trip this afternoon, I think, so we can start changing him over.

In other news, no vomit! I got home last night and gave him an additional 1/4 of a cup of his kibble, and he chowed it down. I put extra in when that was gone, but I guess the 1/4 cup was all it took, since he didn't nibble on the second portion. I'll keep watching him over the weekend, but I'm feeling pretty good that the problem is solved. Even if I'm feeling lousy that the poor guy was going hungry
Yep, I forgot they have a canned as well. I won't use either mostly because of who owns them. Their parent company still insists it can not stop 100% with their animal testing. Bullony.
Great news that he didn't throw up this morning. At six months old he is still growing at a pretty good rate. Once he is around 10 months he may settle into his routine and you may find he is eating less.
Good job!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!