Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old July 7th, 2008, 08:57 AM
-

Finally some pics of my little Wren

Finally after taking umpteen pics, they seem to be comfortable with me puttering in the garden.

He/She was on the perch with the beak open and any time a bug flew by, it would be nabbed:

Name:  Wren's house 008.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  Wren's house 010.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  53.5 KB

From what I have read about these little guys, they make from 5 - 7 decoy nests, consequently I think that two other boxes we have in the yard are decoys and this one is the one they call home.

Hoping you can see them Hazel, made them a wee bit smaller for the handicapped like you and I
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:21 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yep, I can see them!

Nice to see wrens again. And yes, the male stuffs twigs into all the suitable nesting sites, then takes the Grand Tour with his lady love. She does the actual choosing...and then, likely as not, will take all the twigs out and start over so as to get it right!

We used to have wrens in the city--sort of surprising because we had no underbrush or thickets for them. More bluebird habitat there, but no bluebirds...we'd get tree swallows, but no bluebirds.

Now that we're out in the woods, with tons of wren habitat, we're lucky if we see one wren a year! Go figure! And guess what moved into the bird house? Yep...bluebirds. hazel is confoosed....

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:27 PM
-

I'd kick them all out j/k to have Bluebirds. We have a nest box in the backyard that always has tree swallows and one year I saw Bluebirds checking it out, but alas, it was already taken :sad:
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Tree swallows are great, though! They eat way more mosquitoes than bluebirds do! That makes them top bird in my book!

Please Lord, send swallows hazel's way!!!! The mosquitoes are so wicked this year!!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:36 PM
-

Skeeters are real bad here too Hazel, after a certain time in the evening it is unbearable, sitting outside loses it's pleasure and we wait so long for warm weather.
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Skeeters are real bad here too Hazel, after a certain time in the evening it is unbearable, sitting outside loses it's pleasure and we wait so long for warm weather.
hazel knows better--she's always waiting longingly for winter!

Old July 7th, 2008, 12:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Neat pics Chris!!! It's cool to catch the wren with beak open waiting for bugs! And I love the house!!!!! I need to come take lessons from the artist.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2008, 08:26 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
hazel knows better--she's always waiting longingly for winter!
Hazel has been hanging around with madame Hazel too long
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Neat pics Chris!!! It's cool to catch the wren with beak open waiting for bugs! And I love the house!!!!! I need to come take lessons from the artist.
This one is made from old cedar shingles 14k, get Hubby hammering

Hazel, I was thinking Mrs. Wren is awfully demanding needing so much choice and then rearranging the furniture it's a wonder that Mr. Wren even bothers
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Well, it's like this, see? Mr Wren has urges.... Only Mrs Wren can satisfy them... So he does what he needs to do to woo her... The lady calls the shots! As it should be!

Old July 8th, 2008, 09:23 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Well, it's like this, see? Mr Wren has urges.... Only Mrs Wren can satisfy them... So he does what he needs to do to woo her... The lady calls the shots! As it should be!
Men! Will do anything for a bit of skirt
Old July 8th, 2008, 10:35 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

This one is made from old cedar shingles 14k, get Hubby hammering

Nope, I will get hammering myself, thanks! I love working with my scroll saw. Will give me an excuse to get back out there!!
I love the shingles. I can see why the birdies love it so much! Looks like home to me!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
-

He doesn't have a scroll saw, he's underprivelaged Actually he has no more old cedar shingles either, those ones were salvaged from Ethel's playhouse he built when she was younger. Man never throws anything away!