Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM

Question Started RAW - Don't wont eat (anything)

EDIT: Ack... the title was supposed to say "Dog wont eat (anything)" /drinks more coffee hehe

After a few attempts at some new food, we've decided to put our dog, Koda, on a raw diet. Here's some background info...

Koda was recently diagnosed with diabetes and is 3 years old. We switched him to new red meat kibbles and rice and chicken. He had a reaction to the cooked chicken or rice we were feeding him and was scratching really bad. We went to the vet asap and he was given prednisone pills, flea treatment and a needle of something. Forgive me, I can't recall the name of it at this time, but I'm sure it started with a 'D'. After that we switched vets. The meds made him VERY ill. Still to this day he hasn't eaten more than a handful of food a day since these meds (about 3 weeks) and he's a 65lb dog, so a handful sure isn't enough. He throws up about 2-3 times a day, and this started the day he got that shot. The new vet was telling us that the shot Koda received for the itchy skin was, in her opinion, extreme for the situation and probably unnecessary. She said in all of her years of practice she has only ever used this medication once, and it was a quality of life issue, before death. She explained to us that it shuts down his immune system, makes his body unable to heal, makes him throw up and have diarrhea, and she thought it was a bit extreme for some itchy skin. She also explained that it is a slow release medication and will stay in his system for some time. I didn't even think to ask how long, exactly.

Anywho... she examined him very thoroughly, ran blood work, skin samples under the microscope (to be sure the itching wasn't mites/bacteria) and she said everything was normal besides his blood sugar levels. Since Koda received that shot at the other vet he is eating very rarely, and then throwing up within about 20 mins of eating. Even treats he is throwing up too. The new vet switched Koda from EVO to DCO kibble for diabetics. He ate 1/2 a bowl, threw up and then hasn't touched it since. That was 1 week ago. In the last week he has eaten raw eggs and raw ground beef in very small amounts, and throwing it back up.

Today I went to Tailblazers and bought a raw bison dinner diet for Koda. As soon as I came home I gave him a full frozen patty and 1 raw egg. He ate about 1/3 of the patty and the egg minus the shell and he threw it all up about 3 hours later. Tonight when I came home from a dinner out with family I gave him a thawed patty, he sniffed and walked away. I tried giving another frozen patty, again, sniff sniff and walked away. My dog usually goes CRAZY over "human" food, aka meat of any kind. He is completely uninterested in this raw diet. I am going to call the vet tomorrow and see if I can get him in asap. Him not eating is making me not sleep, and driving me insane with worry.

I feel that I'm making the right decision with the raw diet, I know it will be the very best for him, but what good is it if he wont eat it?! I tried giving it frozen, mostly because I didn't want him to gobble it too fast. At least if it's frozen he has to work at it. I've also tried putting it in his bowl with a bit of water and mixing it up so it's more like stew and he still doesn't want it. I tried to sprinkle a bit of Parmesan cheese on top, nope, doesn't' want it still.
How can I get him more interested in this food? I hope it wasn't a waste of money. I bought a whole case! lol

PS - He still is drinking and peeing/pooping as normal. No diarrhea, no constipation.

EDIT: The raw dinner patties I bought are "Arusha Bison Dinner Patties" in case anyone was curious.

Last edited by danam314; October 24th, 2008 at 12:25 AM.