Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

View Poll Results: Do you/would you use a dog park?
We have a dog park, and I take my dog(s) 19 50.00%
We don't have a dog park, but I would take my dog(s) if we did 3 7.89%
We have a park, and no way do I take my dog(s) 9 23.68%
We don't have a park, but no way would I take my dog(s) if we did 7 18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 16th, 2005, 10:07 PM
banned user

Dog Park Poll

Lots of threads about dog parks lately, and now and then I read a comment from someone saying they either don't go to dog parks, or don't have one and wouldn't go if they did. I happen to be one of those with no dog park, and no desire to go to one, either. But I certainly respect you folks who love yours.

So, I was just wondering If I could post a poll without starting an argument about the pros and cons of dog parks. The pros and cons have been well discussed on the boards already, don't you think?

I'm just curious as to how this poll will turn out......

Would you all mind voting?

Last edited by Cactus Flower; May 17th, 2005 at 02:05 AM.
Old May 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM

I've been to nearly all the parks in Montreal (still have a few to get to), and I really think it depends on the neighborhood, the dogs, and the owners. Our park has really responsible owners in general and we all work together as best we can to keep the doggies safe. Other parks I have been to are full of intact males humping everybody and peeing on the benches and on legs and dogs and are just not pleasant. Dog parks are like shrinks, you have to try a few befoe you find a good one.

Last edited by Prin; May 17th, 2005 at 02:26 AM.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:58 AM
<-----nut ball

I go to our 2 dog parks. I like them. I find for some reason that Odin behaves better there then on leash sometimes! He actually isn't interested all that much in the other dogs, he just loves to run around (ever see a bulldog run at you full speed? It's kinda scarry!!). You can actually see him smile he loves it so much! He loves the other people as well. He will run up and greet everyone, and then he turns his backside to them, hoping for a bum scratch!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

PRIN -- all the dog parks I've been to are pretty bad, where is yours located?? If you don't want to post it here, can you pm me?

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

nope

We have a dog park not far away but I don't go to it. I prefer to organize a playdate and go out into Angell Woods. I don't trust dog owners to control their dogs and to properly vaccinate, socialize them etc. I won't take a chance with mine.
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

meb999 and i live close and we share the same 2 crappy dog parks. They're full of unneutered males, rude dogs and clueless owners. It's a pretty sad scene, lol.

Oh and I voted for i don't go..there's a small one in Westmount that I sometimes go to when Chris has his chiro appointments in the area. It's not too bad, people seem a little more doggie there...
BoxerRescueQuebec.com

Last edited by BoxerRescueMTL; May 17th, 2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old May 17th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

We do not have a dog park but if we did I do not think I would take my boys to it. We take many walks and they are with us all the time and we have plenty of play dates with their friends. I think taht would be just one more thing I would worry about with them. I know they have all their shots and stuff but still would not feel comfortable. I do not look down on anyone that does though.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 17th, 2005, 02:34 PM

dog parks/off leash

While I have never been to a small, fenced-in type area used as a dog park, I am a huge fan of designated off-leash areas in cities. I live in Toronto and there's two that I know of right on the lake (Lake Ontario). It's wonderful to be able to walk along the beach with your pooch without worrying about a leash. I also go to the off-leash area at Sunnybrook Park (Eglinton/Leslie area of TO) - this off-leash zone includes a wooded trek along the Don River, which is fun for the dogs no matter what season. I have been taking my dog to off-leash areas since she was about 6 months old (fully vaccinated) and have never had a problem. My dog gets a long, stimulating off-leash walk on a beach or in the woods with me...it's the perfect way to spend an afternoon and wears her out much more than a leash walk.
Old May 17th, 2005, 03:58 PM
banned user

So far 16 voters don't or wouldn't take their dogs to a dog park, and 19 either do or would.

Interesting!

I thought that I was in a HUGE minority.

Thank you all very much for voting!
Old May 17th, 2005, 05:34 PM

My park is the Association Canine St Benoit on Meilleur and Sauve in Ahuntsic. It's just East on Sauve from L'Acadie. We calculated that it was about 27 000 sq ft so it's pretty huge. There are some bad apples, but in general, the people are far more friendly there. When we go to other parks, nobody talks to anybody and we find it very bizarre because everybody has at least one thing in common..

If you go to the dog park section of pets.ca, I sent in info about all the ones I have been to so far...