Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old October 1st, 2012, 09:29 AM

Kitten's paw knuckling

One of our kittens got hurt somehow; either fell or something. Anway she hurt her left back leg. Xray shows crack where her leg fastens to her pevis. Also her pelvis is separated from her spine. Vet has assured me both will heal. However he is afraid she has nerve damage as she is knuckling her paw. We have her on cage rest. This happened not quite a week ago. Vet wants to keep her on cage rest for at least 3 to 4 weeks. He is hoping the nerve damage is temporary; if not, he is saying we might have to amputate her leg. My question is, do kittens get over this 100% or how often is amputation necessary. Worried in Nebraska.
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:04 PM

I have no experience with this particluar injury, but my cats have had occasional accidents. They can be surprisingly resilient, and things can be healing inside, even if you aren't yet seeing it on the outside.
If the worst happens and you do have to amputate, take a look around the web. Many animals who lose a limb develop ammazing coping strategies, and can get around almost as easily as if they were never hurt, once they adjust to the new feeling.
But don't give up hope yet. My cat hurt the base of his tail once, possible nerve damage and the vet said if he didn't recover feeling and movement the tail would have to be amputated to prevent constant injury from being dragged. What looked like permanent nerve damage turned out to be severe bruising. It took something like two months, if I remember right, for the bruising and swelling to go down and Seuss's tail to start moving normally.
Your kitten had some pretty serious injuries, and it has only been a week. Things like this take time and patience to heal. I know it's hard to wait and see when you pet is in pain
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcpmcp View Post
One of our kittens got hurt somehow; either fell or something. Anway she hurt her left back leg. Xray shows crack where her leg fastens to her pevis. Also her pelvis is separated from her spine. Vet has assured me both will heal. However he is afraid she has nerve damage as she is knuckling her paw. We have her on cage rest. This happened not quite a week ago. Vet wants to keep her on cage rest for at least 3 to 4 weeks. He is hoping the nerve damage is temporary; if not, he is saying we might have to amputate her leg. My question is, do kittens get over this 100% or how often is amputation necessary. Worried in Nebraska.
My daughter cat got hurt some how and was not able to move his back legs.
he had pull his body around with front legs . He was med for about 3 weeks and he recovered. The vet was not sure if the cat had an old injury as it was rescued cat . I hope your cat will have a full recovery .