Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:51 PM

Smile Getting Rabbit Neutered

Help! I am considering getting my rabbit neutered and wonder if anyone else has done this. I am just curious as to how much it will cost and what the result will be (aside from the obvious). Will he be calmer? Right now he's not really that energetic. The only reason I am considering it is because someday I might want to get another rabbit (older) to keep him company. I figure males would tend to fight, so I would want to get him a female companion. However, he has to be neutered first. Any suggestions? I would most likely get his new "girlfriend" from the Toronto Humane Society, as he was a pet-store purchase and I know there are so many smaller animals out there waiting to be adopted.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I neutered my bunny and it is an excellent idea!! Neutered rabbits live longer healthier lives. And there will be fewer "accidents" tho rabbit droppings are hardly bothersome compared to larger pets, lol Male bunnies will mark their territory with their urine - at least mine did that on my bed on occasion - tho not so much post neutering. He was also litter trained of course.

Have you bunny proofed your house?

I do think your bun would prob like a companion. Bunnies can be very energetic - mine could run upstairs like anything and even jump high unto my bed at night. When he was allowed the run of the basement, he would challenge me to chase him and so that wonderful funny bunny hop!!

However, there are periods when rabbits just like to sit in their favourite places and observe their place so I would not worry about his energy level unless he is really lethargic. If so, consult your vet - one who has experience with bunnies. (difficult to find sometimes). If he is new to your home, confine him to a small area at first and gradually allow him more room and litter train asap if you have not already done so. Rabbits are clean animals. (very much like cats on that score). They like routine.

My beloved bun lived to a ripe old age and died in my arms and I miss him so much. But I have three kitties at the moment and am unsure how a bunny might fit into that picture. <g>

By all means, neuter him. You will never regret it!!

The cost was similar to what it cost for a male cat. It is a while ago and I live in the Maritimes so costs vary and thus my cost may not be the best barometer. I believe I paid something like $70 - not much really!!

Last edited by CyberKitten; June 23rd, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:08 PM

Stanley is neutered. Two weeks before his scheduled surgery, he started acting up. He was getting 'bunny busy' with me, he growled at my husband for no reason, he left poops outside his litterbox... all things that were related to his hormones and that stopped once he was neutered.

Even if you never get another rabbit, neutering is a good thing. Stanley is our only rabbit right now and I'm very glad we had him neutered.

Costs of neutering differ greatly from one vet to another or from one city to the other. I won't tell you how much we paid because it was a lot! (He did however have laser surgery which upped the costs quite a bit.) Contact a rabbit savvy vet. He or she will be able to give you a quote.

Check out this website : http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html. Perhaps it will be able to help you!

Good luck and let us know how it goes if you decide to have your bunny neutered!
Old June 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Adopted by Dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyroxy
Help! I am considering getting my rabbit neutered and wonder if anyone else has done this. I am just curious as to how much it will cost and what the result will be (aside from the obvious). Will he be calmer? Right now he's not really that energetic. The only reason I am considering it is because someday I might want to get another rabbit (older) to keep him company. I figure males would tend to fight, so I would want to get him a female companion. However, he has to be neutered first. Any suggestions? I would most likely get his new "girlfriend" from the Toronto Humane Society, as he was a pet-store purchase and I know there are so many smaller animals out there waiting to be adopted.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!
hi,
I had a rabbit and I loved him. We gave him to a friend as my duaghter is allergic to the hay I fed him . He was so cute and so friendly. He was very affectionate TILL I HAD HIM NEUTERED. From that day forward and I had him for 4 more months he never paid me any attention.

If I let him free in the basement while I watched tv he used to jump up on me on the couch or if my arm was hanging over he would hump me which of course I would stop.

The reason I was told it was beneficial was it would stop him from spraying to mark his territory although he NEVER ever did that before.

It cost me over 250.00 for the procedure and I regretted it ONLY because it altered his oersonality. This could be my experience alone though.

I miss Dash though but hear he is a quite little dude these days.
Attached Images

Old June 28th, 2006, 12:57 PM

One thing that a lot of people don't realize is that rabbits mature a lot younger than we think that they do. The smaller breeds are mature at four months of age. That is the time that we suggest that they get spayed/neutered. I got my boy neutered at four months. I did preoperative blood work and laser surgery as well. Without my tech discount it would have been over $300. Make sure that you go to a reputable exotic vet since rabbits are difficult under anesthetic. And boys especially are difficult to neuter since under anesthetic they still suck their testicles up! If he is older, some behavior traits may not be "cured" by neutering him. When intact they are still prone to all the problems that humans, dogs, cat, etc are prone to (testicular cancer, ovarian/mammary cancer, etc).
Be cautious adding another rabbit to your rabbits kennel. A lot of times rabbits aren't excepting of other rabbits (especially males). Be prepared to have to keep the separate (ie have another kennel/cage ready for new bunny).
Regardless of new bunny or not, I strongly recommend getting pets spayed or neutered!
Old July 2nd, 2006, 11:05 PM

There's an amazing vet out the London way, just a little north in Exeter. I paid maybe $150 for the entire procedure and I think that my vet is amazing. He specializes in small animals and is a great person to boot. Not in it for the money like a lot of vets now-a-days.
Old July 3rd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

My foster male bunny is neutered, he was done at 4 months old, he is a very energetic little guy, friendly as friendly can be. He loves his gurlfriends ( sisters) but the other males dont like him too much. My 2 females are spayed too. They were adopted from the SPCA so im not sure how different they are now as apposed to before.
I definately prefer the male neutered. Less territorial, his urine isnt as strong and he is just super super cuddly, ( he thinks hes a cat sometimes)
Old July 3rd, 2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

A friend of mine had her Dwarf Bunny spayed and it cost quiet a bit more than having a cat spayed,the vet said,it was because she was so small
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM

My two male bunnies were neutered under $100 each with pain medications included.
I found that there is a major difference in costs among vets. Usually, they asked you to pay for an examination fee on top of the neutering service, so the costs may vary.

Like you, I was interested at neutering my two bunnies. I called my local vets who specialized at spaying/neutering rabbits on the Yellowpages and I got a feeling that some are not as caring due the receptionists responds on making the extra examination mandatory and forcing people who wanted to neuter/spay their pets paying the extra amount.

Luckily, during my first visit at the All About Pets Show, I got referred by the Rabbit Rescue to an experienced vet who would do the bunnies whom are rescued. And I feel more comfortable knowing that my rabbits are in good hands rather then a stranger vet.
I feel happy about the result because the vet has done a great job. My two bunnies were up eatting almost as soon as we got home from an hour drive and knowing that I have paid for a decent service.

Catherine
Old August 4th, 2006, 03:30 PM

My mom had all 4 of her rabbits neutered and spayed. They were fine afterwards.. and it cost just over 100.00 per bunny!
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:38 PM

I had my boy neutered, it cost me $140 for the procedure. He is still his sweet, wonderful, affectionate self but now he doesn't pee on my bed. Once he was neutered we were also able to get him a girlfriend from a local rabbit rescue and he is as happy as can be.

Yes you are right, two males will fight, sometimes until death.