Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2012, 10:07 AM

My bell

Any advice would be grateful
Hi . I have a 2 year old female jack Russell and about 5 weeks ago she began passing out and loosing all energy after small activity, even going to end of garden and back. I took her to my vets and they did ultrasound X-ray and heart scan and all came back normal! Got her blood results bk today and her red blood cell count is 15% and also very low white blood cell count! They r taking her back Thursday for more blood testing and I was told that maybe her bone marrow has given up and stopped working in which case is life threatening and untreatable! I am so worried we are going to loose her so any advice would be great!ni vet is also checking her ovaries and uterus for tumours but if nothing then will be taking a bone marrow biopsy! Bell is very weak, acting like a very old dog. Xx
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Karasbell, so sorry to hear that Bell is having these issues. Sadly I have no advice to offer you, but hopefully someone will be along shortly with experiences similar or words of advice. I truly hope you are able to find a solution for sweet Bell and that in short order she will be back to her crazy Jack Russell self. Just remember that no matter what, you can only try your best to have the vets help her, and you can love her to pieces along your road with her wherever that may take you. Be strong, have faith.
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

There are a number of things that can cause this, but the bet thing you can do right now is get your dog on aggressive doxycycline ASAP. The aggressive dose is 10 mg/kg, or roughly 5 mg/lb, TWICE per day, which is about twice what vet normally use.

There are several tick diseases that can cause this, some for which we don't have a test. There are also other disease processe. However, doxy not only gets most of the tick diseases (it won't get babesia), is anti-cancer, and immune regulation, so it can do many things and might by you some time. On the tick list, many members augment the vet dosage to get up to the aggresive dosing that is needed to fight many of these diseases.

Are the platelets low also? Have any vaccines been recently administer? Any history of ticks or tick disease?
Old August 21st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karasbell View Post
Any advice would be grateful
Hi . I have a 2 year old female jack Russell and about 5 weeks ago she began passing out and loosing all energy after small activity, even going to end of garden and back. I took her to my vets and they did ultrasound X-ray and heart scan and all came back normal! Got her blood results bk today and her red blood cell count is 15% and also very low white blood cell count! They r taking her back Thursday for more blood testing and I was told that maybe her bone marrow has given up and stopped working in which case is life threatening and untreatable! I am so worried we are going to loose her so any advice would be great!ni vet is also checking her ovaries and uterus for tumours but if nothing then will be taking a bone marrow biopsy! Bell is very weak, acting like a very old dog. Xx
Have you called the place your dog came from to see if any litter mates has the same problems and if so what kind of treatments they had.