Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 24th, 2018, 10:48 AM

body language question

My cat Ambre has a new friend. She is a very sweet little kitten, and she's been in the house a few times. He's nice to her (not like with his enemy Number 2, whom he heartily dislikes). We're still trying to figure out a name for her, either Little Whitey or Princess Snowball (to go along with King Ambre), but no matter what we call her, she's really sweet, and she and Ambre get along pretty well so far.

My question is, my mom noticed Little Whitey laying on her side and exposing her underbelly to us and Ambre a few times. I've read somewhere that that's a sign of trust. Is that right? Also, I've noticed Little Whitey exposing a paw (claws possibly sheathed) toward Ambre. Is she trying to play with him? She probably is, but I'm just curious.
Old May 24th, 2018, 10:37 PM

hello smg680:

Yes, the exposing of the belly area is a sign of trust according to the experts. 2 of our 3 cats are quite proficient at it and the other one does it from time to time.

As far as the extending of a paw, and no aggression shown, I would have to assume she is looking for some play time with Ambre.
Old May 27th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I think, with Reg, that in this case it is a sign of trust. Other body language plays a part.

Sometimes a cat on it's back with feet extended is a defensive move. Kind of "Make my day" jump right in here so I can hold on to you with my front claws and rake you with my back claws. In a serious cat fight the bottom cat may have a distinct advantage. AND, cats and kittens play fight and will do this to each other as well as to you, and it can sometimes get a wee bit out of control.

We need a picture.
Old June 12th, 2018, 06:15 PM

surprising news!

I learned today that Princess Snowball is really PRINCE Snowball! My family was just sharing some news they heard from our neighbors when we learned about this! And I don't know if I said this, but he's the neighbors' cat! But thankfully, it's nothing like when they had Buddy.

We never knew Little Whitey was male; we just thought he was female, since he looked small and delicate, not like rough-and-tough Ambre!
Old July 2nd, 2018, 02:11 PM

The exposed belly in cats is the biggest sign of trust you can get!

That also means that your cat is feeling content and happy. She has no reasons to worry so there is 0 anxiety too