Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 5th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

but you aren't allowed to leave dead livestock just "hanging around".............duh is right
Old March 5th, 2010, 07:28 PM
owned by Tucker

nope suppose to call the dead wagon
Old March 7th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
We need to be vigiliant about keeping our pets safe, and out of harms way.

Keep cats indoors, and small dags need to be kept close and try not to walk in the dark, or if you do stay on well travelled streets and sidewalks.

Stay away from parks and ravines from dusk to dawn.

Make sure your yard fences are high enough, and can not be dug under.

Keep your yard clean and garbage free so as not to attract them.

So many want to blame the wild life for everyting, but ultimately they are our pets, and as such are OUR responsibility and it's OUR job to keep them safe.
THIS. A little common sense can go a long way! People are effectively feeding coyotes and other animals by letting their cats roam loose and dogs offleash and unsupervised. An example of muggsmom''s experience, proper livestock husbandry can also go a long way, too (proper deadstock removal, livestock protection animals, etc).

While I feel bad for the dog's death, I am so tired of both people and the media villainizing coyotes and the like. They all fail to look at the facts. More people kill dogs than coyotes do. More dogs kill people than coyotes ever have, and more people kill people than both species do put together. More dogs kill coyotes than coyotes kill dogs. In Florida, they had just shut down the last "coyote and fox pen" where "people" allowed their dogs to rip apart coyotes and foxes.

People need to learn to live alongside wildlife. I highly recommend Coyote Watch Canada's informative, educational coyote talks. I went to one here in Hamilton, and it was excellent.
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Well put, Mom_of_Two_Dogs! I could not agree with you more.

I work in the livestock industry (mainly poultry) and have witnessed first hand appalling livestock husbandry practices (i.e. not properly disposing of deads or even intentionally leaving them for the coyotes thinking if the coyotes are well fed they won't bother the other livestock ). Common sense MUST prevail!

If anything we are invading the wildlife's territory and are no doubt largely responsible for this type of behaviour.

Moral of this story: USE caution and keep an eye on your pets at ALL times!

I live on a farm outside the city & have no backyard... would I ever let my dogs be outside without me there? Hell no!! I go outside with them each and every time and they must ALWAYS remain within a few feet of me. Common sense is key! These animals are becoming less and less fearful... I see them often on my farm's land during the DAY or even walking along the side of the highway in the ditch! Obviously there is a problem here, but its not the coyotes... its humans stupidity!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old March 12th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

How sad for the family. RIP little dog.

I live in an area where coyotes are very common. We can hear their singing almost every night during the summer when we are at the lake, and it's not uncommon to see them here and there. Coyotes are extremely smart and adaptable, they are learning how to live near humans and are taking advantage of the mistakes humans make. They are so smart that a trap set might catch one coyote, but after that no others will come near it - it becomes useless. As humans take away their natural habitat, they are learning that humans mean easy food - whether that is in the form of garbage, or us inadvertently drawing their prey into our neighborhoods like one poster pointed out.