Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old October 22nd, 2006, 12:51 AM

I'm new

Hi. I am new and thought this would be a good place to find out feelings about pets and pet care and even irresponsible owners.

I'll start with a recent experience at the vet. I have two Golden retrievers. I would give my life for them. I really believe they saved my life. I have fibromyalgia but went thru chemo last year. I really had no one to look after me and was mostly on my own. They were my encouragement to get out of that bed and not lie there and die. They would nudge, paw and pull at me until I got up even just to play. I am recovered today. I had a bad experience with the vet though.

I had been going to this vet since my oldest dog, Sparkle was a pup. She is 5 years old now. I thought at first she just had eaten something that made her sick. Had this before with BBQ and again with jerky. I did all I knew to do. Pepto usually worked but not this time. I even tried a little promethazine a nausea med I took. Finally took her to vet and I was afraid it was something serious. Turned out to be some kind of infection in her colon and she is still taking medicine but seems better. I am on disability but have never taken her to the vet without paying my whole bill and did not owe the vet any money. He said that checking to see what might be wrong might get expensive and wanted $150-$200 up front or they would not do anything for her. I really got mad. It just happened that I was very short of money this month but a friend came to the rescue and paid the money for me. As long as they have been seeing both my dogs I thought this very unethical for them to do that. I can understand the reasons and if I had been a new customer I could see it but I was in tears. I thought my dog was dying and all they thought about was if I had enough money to cover it. Opinions? Cheryl
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:16 AM

Wow, that is really horrible. They shouldn't have asked for it up front if you were a long time customer. Had you mentioned your struggles? Maybe instead of empathy, they got greedy...

I'm glad you and your doggies are doing ok though.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 02:35 AM
-

I agree. If you've been a long time customer that was very callous of them to ask for money "up front".

Sorry to hear everything you and your dogs have gone through and hope those days are all behind you.

BTW, welcome to the forum and please post some pics of your doggies.
Old October 22nd, 2006, 06:02 AM

Wow,,Imight think about changing vets. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I've owed our vet 400-500$ dollars at a time and payed in installments with not a problem. These people are so caring, anytime you go guarrenteed to get a call that evening or the next to see how your pet is doing. I'd like to mention their name but it is probaly against the forum rules. If you have been going to the same vet for that long they should have a little compassion, like you say it might be all about money. Later Dobb
Old October 22nd, 2006, 10:49 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

hi and welcome to the forum.I would think of finding another vet.good to hear all of you are doing good.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:25 PM

Hi There,
I'm new to the site too!
I'm sorry to hear your vet would treat you like this especially during such a serious situation.
our vets are pretty good, but A friend of mine was walking her Rottie pup to our place one time when it collapsed and when we took it to their vet they did many tests, and found she had some type of heart problem, end result was PTS. She didn't have her wallet, or anything and the vet expected her to clear her bill that day when she was leaving witout MIKA (her and her fiance were in tears plus there were people in the waiting room) I just gave the vet my credit card and mumbled something in disgrace to her. I have a business, and I have pets and I cannot imagine ever treating someone so coldly over money
Enjoy the site, I am finding it addictive!
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Hello, and welcome to the board. Im sorry to hear about your struggles but am glad things turned out, what a great friend you have to help you in such a time.

I hope to see some pics of you dogs.

[QUOTE=Prin;303192]Wow, that is really horrible. They shouldn't have asked for it up front if you were a long time customer. Had you mentioned your struggles? Maybe instead of empathy, they got greedy...[Quote]

Welcome to all too many vets in Northern Ontario.!!!
The vet that my dad had taken my childhood dog to since the day we got her up until she passed away 16 years later, and as i got older I took my cats and dogs too wouldnt even look at my Rottie when she had her seizures and tried to say there was no records of me or my family!!!!!!! They wouldnt look at her unless I had at least $200 to walk in the door. Needless to say.... There is NO record of me OR MY FAMILY anymore.
I couldnt believe that after 20+ years of regular visits, illnesses, accidents probly thousands of dollars... I was turned away.

Its sad but I feel that most vets around here are only in it for the money! No compassion or care for the animals well being, it seems to depend on the ownders financial status!
Discusting!
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:19 AM

i must be lucky. our vet has that payment is due upon services rendered, but when we had to put down our dog years ago, after him having sugery, hospilization and all, the bill was high but they told us not to worry and we could come in and settle it when we were ready. they never handed us the bill that day or called once. it took me about 2 weeks before i could handle it.