Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old April 11th, 2007, 12:01 AM
chronically insane.

My rabbit has head tilt

Anyone else's rabbit have head tilt? My bunnys head leans to the right.. it doesn't bother him but when my mom picks him up (I became allergic to rabbits like 2 years after getting him) he flops so she has to hold his head up.

He's like.. 7 or 8 now. I got him from a shelter after his owners moved out of their house and left him in a cage in the backyard to die. That was in like .. 2000 .. or 1991 I don't remember.

I was just wondering more about this. One day it was hot out and he had like a heat seizure and ever since then he's just been a lopsided bunny and theres nothing the vets can do. He's in no pain and it don't bother him at the least hes just an old crippled fat bunny.:

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 13th, 2007, 02:02 AM

My sister's bunny, Sammy developed a head tilt not long before he died. I don't know much about it head tilts, but I know that my rats never had much time after developing a head tilt.

It sounds like your bunny has had a great life. Unfortunately he probably won't be around much longer. Spoil him rotten and enjoy your time with him.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
chronically insane.

He devolped it ... 2 .. no 3 years ago. Haha. The vets said the same thing but apparently he beat the odds.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Remembering Lukka

When my rabbit developed head tilt it was caused by an ear infection. After the meds his head was normal again. The vet did say that head tilt in a rabbit is a very bad sign. My rabbit went on to live seven years after the head tilt cleared up. Good luck to you with your bunny.
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:07 PM

I had a bunny growing up that had head tilt. He was a pet store bunny and was always developing some sickness. Finally he developed head tilt, only it was so severe his head was like completely sideways and he could only hop in circles and he couldn't eat, so we ended up having to put him to sleep. As long as the bunny has a good quality of life, I think a slight head tilt is kinda cute. Good for bunny for beating the odds!
Old April 15th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I would find a good vet who knows or specializes in rabbits and see what s/he says. I have never had a bunny with a head tilt but have a cousin who did and he lived a long life (not as long as mine but he was extraordinary - like a human who lived past 100, lol) - something like 11 or 12 yrs. (the bunny with the tilt, not mine - he lived longer.) It could represent a number of things and only a vet experienced in bunnies can give you a good diagnosis.
Old April 16th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
It could represent a number of things and only a vet experienced in bunnies can give you a good diagnosis.
I agree, also what i've found is that most vets don't have much experience with rabbits or smaller pets unless it is a special interest for them.
Old April 19th, 2007, 04:52 AM

How is is health otherwise? Seven or 8 is getting old for a rabbit. I don't think I'd put him through much in the way of medical procedures and I doubt it's an infection if it's been ongoing for years.

Good luck to you and your bunny
Old April 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM

Has your bunny ever been tested for e.cuniculi? Head tilt can be a symptom.

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-2/e-cuniculi.html