Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 4th, 2013, 04:26 PM

Question House training lapses?

HI its me AGAIN! I am so paranoid I know!

Tonight, I was sat working and my family where making dinner, my 8 month old puppy was acting perfectly normal. Ie: begging since it was her normal meal time! I went to prepare her meal and suddenly noticed the huge wet puddle on the carpet! As far as we are concerned she didn't really ask to go out but perhaps we were mistaking her asking to wee for wanting dinner? anyway is this ok and normal or is this perhaps a UTI? should i be concerned?

By the way the problem is that the way she asks to go out s not very obvious she just sniffs around and looks at the door for abit but shes not very obvious at all! is there away I can get her to whine or will this become more refined with age?

Thank you all so much and yes the pictures will be coming sooooon!

Thanks
Old November 4th, 2013, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

I have same issues. My dog stands at the door (most of the time we can't see her unless we are in that room) and waits till it magically opens for her. If it doesn't then she has a spot she will eliminate unfortunately. Someone suggested a bell that she can tap her nose on when she needs to go out. Great Idea but I have not tried it yet........
Old November 5th, 2013, 02:51 AM
Senior Contributor

My girl is bell trained and it's great, otherwise she just stand at the door. My old girl used to bark.

This is one of those thing that can be normal or not. If you have several of these incidences, it doesn't hurt to have a urinalysis run. When my dog was having occassional accidents, I thought it was a housetraining issue, and it wasn't - she had remnant tissue in her vagina which was causing problems - it showed up as high white blood cells in her urine. Could alo be a uti.

If it continues, i would rather have a urinalysis run and find it's completely normal, than to not have it run and miss something.
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Ditto Max Lisa. It's normal to have a few lapses, especially in times of excitement.

Some dogs just have more faith in their owner than is warranted. I swear mine thought they could communicate with me telepathically.
  • First they would think - need to pee. I wouldn't receive the message.
  • Then they would give me a nano second glance with the thought beam. I wouldn't see it.
  • Then a small sound would accompany the glance and the thought. Mom still not receiving.
  • The sound would get louder, the glance longer, sometimes they would look pointedly at the door and back to me. Then escalate to moving towards the door

LOL Next time they would think Mom could not possibly be so dense she didn't get the training session above and it would repeat. Mom learned to keep an eye on the dog and did develop a bit of an ability to read minds but not nearly as good as the dog ability to read human minds. Gosh, sometimes I think we must be an awful disappointment to them.
Old November 5th, 2013, 08:37 AM
Senior Contributor

oops double post.
Old November 5th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Well said Longblades!!!!
Old November 5th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Ditto Max Lisa. It's normal to have a few lapses, especially in times of excitement.

Some dogs just have more faith in their owner than is warranted. I swear mine thought they could communicate with me telepathically.
  • First they would think - need to pee. I wouldn't receive the message.
  • Then they would give me a nano second glance with the thought beam. I wouldn't see it.
  • Then a small sound would accompany the glance and the thought. Mom still not receiving.
  • The sound would get louder, the glance longer, sometimes they would look pointedly at the door and back to me. Then escalate to moving towards the door

LOL Next time they would think Mom could not possibly be so dense she didn't get the training session above and it would repeat. Mom learned to keep an eye on the dog and did develop a bit of an ability to read minds but not nearly as good as the dog ability to read human minds. Gosh, sometimes I think we must be an awful disappointment to them.
I wonder if Marty made any sounds that I am not hearing , he will jump up and down at door saying I gotta pee real bad! I heard of people training their dogs to ring a bell when they needs to go out and it works good.
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:46 PM

Thank you all so much! LongBlades, you are absolutely right! Fifi is the same she just paces and if its not working she wees however the thing that did make me think was that the has asked before and then been able to hold until someone comes... keep telling me what you think
Old November 5th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Ha! That's so true! Lol