Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 16th, 2013, 10:25 PM

Kitty now Maddie needs a new home

First thanks again for helping with the food situation. We are off the kibble and eating wet food. Some are eating straight raw, some will eat a mixture and of course some will snub it, but at least they are off the dry kibble and I've noticed the dandruff on 2 cats has all but disappeared

My Next issue

This is Maddie, she's a year old and is not happy living in a multi cat household. She has all her shots and she was fixed on June/14th.

Maddie was obtained from a student living in Kingston, she was found wandering around an apartment complex. I suspect she was not taken care of very well as it took quite awhile for her to accept human companionship, she never did take to the other cats. We were hoping she would be a companion for our younger cat, who lost her buddy this winter, but that did not work. Right now she is indoor/outdoor in an enclosure, and just loves to run flat out across the yard and catch butterflies. Every now and again I see the Maddie and Peanut or Akira play run with each other, but that does not last. She spends most of her time alone in another area of the yard or in the cat tree when she's inside.

As long as the other cats are not around she is fine, wants and accepts attention. If other cats are present she growls, will nip you and then scurries away. If a kitten approaches her she will attack it and now some of the older cats are stalking and attacking her. She will approach another cat and automatically become defensive and swat at them. Not a pleasant situation for her or the other cats.

So..I would like to re-home her and if that's not possible find a way to help her with this fear aggression. I've posted her at my local vet's and on Kijiji (I know not the best, but I've already "discouraged" one lady who wanted her to have kittens).

I am new to the Kingston area, so I don't have word of mouth friends to contact and do not want to dump her at a shelter. She doesn't like cats in a large area, in a small one I think she would become "un-adoptable"

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Right now the stress of the situation is causing my older male (Tiggy) to "mark" everything inside and out and his sister (Callie) is the one attacking her. Rosie is now attacking Callie in retaliation of Maddie attacking her and round and round it goes.
Attached Images

Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Trey our 3 legged terror - 2014
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

She's beautiful, almost a Van Cat, markings on head and tail! I lived in Kingston and I'm trying to remember any rescues but none are coming to mind right now. In the meantime, if you check out Petsmart, they carry calming collars. I used them on mine when I adopted an adult who wasn't keen on other cats around him when I first got him. They take a day or two to notice any difference but they do work. They also helped when we moved out west, a week in a van and by the second day, they all pretty much just slept. They have them in the aisle with flea medications, hairball stuff
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:38 PM

Hi pattymac my Kingston info center)

I have never heard of this collar, but I will certainly have a look for it, perhaps I could use it on several stressed out kitties. Would be nice if I could convince Tiggy that spraying inside is not necessary.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Senior Contributor

If your cat is outside on she own I would made sure the collar is a breakaway one encase get she stuck on something the collar with come off.
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM

Breakaway collar is a must. I had a cat die from a collar my sister put on her and it got caught under a fence, I was 10 at the time and have not forgotten about that incident. I'm hoping I can use some kind of elastic, I find that's the best.

Have you had any experience with these calming collars?
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old June 18th, 2013, 11:54 PM

I may have a new home for Maddie. It's a lady who just lost her cat recently and would like to have another companion. I've told her of Maddie's behavior issues and we will do a meet and greet later this week. I do hope it works out, the poor girl so wants to be a lap cat. She's with me now, purring away, snuggled into me. She's a totally different cat when the others are not around to stress her out.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old June 19th, 2013, 11:30 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, that does sound promising, tiggy2! Good luck, Maddie!! Hope it all works out!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 19th, 2013, 01:15 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Oh that's good. Hope it works out for everybody!
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:22 PM

Hi Guys

I'll let you know how it works out. I have a meet and greet tomorrow afternoon, so if all goes well she'll have a safe home to go to. Of course I'll miss her terribly

Here she is trying to find one of the kittens hiding in the garden.
Attached Images

Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old June 20th, 2013, 09:12 PM

well I do believe Maddie has found her new home Amazing actually. I thought she would be all scared and snarling, boy did she surprise me.

Took her to new home, brought her in the cage, opened the door and she just sniffed around a little then the lady bends down and scoops Maddie in her arms. I thought Oh no, gonna be a hissy fit. But no Maddie just stayed in this ladies arms, purring. No hissing, snarling or fighting to get away. She stayed that way for 10 minutes and then when the lady let her go she tried to get behind her on the seat to lie down for a nap...gee's who is this cat)

I guess some cats know who their owners are and I'm sooo glad we found Maddie's, she'll be well loved and have lots of company, they were both lonely souls that found one another.

So a happy ending, I shall miss her but knowing she in a better home with the love she so deserves makes it better.
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013
Old June 21st, 2013, 08:21 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sounds like a happy ending, tiggy2!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:55 PM

It was a happy ending)

I never really believed cats knew their owners, but this opened my eyes. I am a good cat mom, take care of them and am very much aware of how they feel etc., but seeing Maddie with this "stranger" was amazing, they took to each other like they were long lost friends, so I guess some cats really do know who their owners are)
Peanut - 2010
Spencer - 2013