Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 29th, 2011, 05:09 PM

Question Urination issues.

I'm a first time poster, as I can usually find what I need from searching. I'm pretty much at my wits end with an issue I have with one of my cats.

She's about 4 years old, and we've recently moved to a new city. We've been here about 6 months, and the issues just started about 2 months ago.

The issue, is that she won't pee in her litterbox. I have a litter box for each cat, which has been good enough ever since i've had the cats as kittens. She consistantly keeps the peeing to the basement where the litter boxes are, and craps in the litter box with no issues. Seeing that, I took her to the vet to have her checked out. The vet did a urine analysis and checked her over and gave her a clean bill of health.

Ever since the cats where kittens, I've used the pine pellet litter (which is what the breeder used so I kept it to keep them comfortable). I was thinking that maybe a change of litter might help? Going to the clay stuff. Short of that, my wife and I are getting tired of the endless messes and are weighing our options on what to do to curb the issue, AND what to do with her if we can't. She's the sweetest, most loving little cat that I've ever seen (coming from me is huge as I'm not a cat guy at all) and I want to help her. I just don't know how anymore.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I set up a webcam for a week to see which cat it was peeing everywhere.

Last edited by 50cal.simon; October 29th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Could you try changing the litter box to a shorter hieght? some cats have difficulty or pain getting in/out of the box. How often do you change the litter box? sometimes the urine gets into the plastic and it really smells. Make sure you have cleaned the area where she has gone throughly with a cleaner that has enzymes in in.

You could also try this litter:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2751734

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM

I have tried cleaning the litterbox. She's not in pain getting in and out. I mean, she craps in the box. She also has no problems jumping up on my couch, or anything else like that.
Old October 29th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I was having horrible issue with my cat a few years ago. Here's my thread, what I did ultimately worked and we've been pee free (well, other than a one off here and there, but I can handle that).
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....ighlight=angus

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old October 30th, 2011, 10:27 PM

What are you using to clean the area with? Anything with a harsh chemical smell, ammonia or bleach may encourage the cat to cover that smell up with their own. Ammonia actually smells very much like the base smell in cat urine, so if the previous tenants had a cat who peed in the basement & they didn't clean it with an enzymatic cleaner, your cat may be covering it up or thinking that's an acceptable place to urinate.

In order to remove the odour the cat can still smell even if you can't, you need an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or the homemade version.

Homemade enzymatic cleaner: 1 cup water, 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol, mix together in a clean/new spray bottle. Spray the area affected, blot with paper towel/clean rag, spray again & let dry.

You can also use this to clean the litterboxes, garbage cans etc.

Perhaps you can add 1 more litterbox & see if that helps, some cats prefer to pee in one & poop in another. You could leave the Pine Pellets in the current box & use the above mentioned Cat Attract litter in the new box & see if those 2 additions makes a difference.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying