Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:24 PM

Goldfields, have you ever totaled up how many different flowers you have? It must be an enormous amount. Are there any that need constant watering?
Old January 12th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As a matter of fact, yes I do. I'm really a camera addict. I have pics of lots of weird stuff...

Anyway, here's the black and yellow argiope spider we get frequently in our gardens:

Attachment 76618

Doesn't it look like a picture of an extraterrestrial on its back? lol
ET for sure. That is completely gross. I'd run a mile if one got on me.

Lindapalm, wish you hadn't mentioned watering. I was going to skip it tonight in order to take Jarrah up to my friend's place to accompany her GSD, Archie, on a walk.
No, never counted the flowers I have growing but I'm addicted to growing flowers from seed, it is just so satisfying doing it that way. It means I go over the top sometimes. And yes, a lot need constant watering, which gets done when we have the dogs out early in the morning, or in the evening. The big water consumers are the sunflowers and zinnias, and Lavatera(dwarf) seems to wilt quickly too. As I'm on the surgeon's list for a knee replacement I will probably let the garden go a bit after the op.. That's okay though, anything that dies might eventually be replaced by something different. Something I have never grown before.
Old January 12th, 2012, 09:28 PM

Goldfields, I'm going to warn you. If you have a knee replacement, you are going to go crazy watching the weeds grow around your flowers, unless your husband is good with weeding. I broke my ankle two years ago, and I went nuts watching the flowers disappear and the weeds take over. My husband was totally clueless about how everything looked You just have to keep telling yourself that you'll make up for it the next year.
Old January 13th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

My husband doesn't know a flower from a weed, so it's going to be a disaster! I might actually pull some of my young daylilies up and pot them, that way he can just bring me the pot, or put it up on something for me and I can weed anything that comes up. I've spoken to a couple of people lately who tell me a knee replacement is worse than a hip and how they aren't all successful, so now I am asking myself should I postpone this till I really can't put it off any longer. Call me chicken, huh?
Oh, sometimes I can't tell a weed from a flower myself and have been known to take special care of some weird weed until someone on a garden forum tells me what it is. LOL.
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:21 PM

Just keep telling yourself that you'll get everything done the next year. They may look a little wild the following year, but you'll get to it. I'm going to need an ankle replacement in a couple of years, and I too am dreading it, but theres not much choice, is there?
Old January 14th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I didn't know they can do an ankle replacement, that would be amazing. And scary! Can they do shoulders? I can see myself becoming the Bionic woman. LOL. Oh, I'm learning to put off doing things already in the garden because so much time is spent getting rid of Fairy grass. I have a really bad back tonight but that was from bending over cleaning tartar off 6 sets of doggy teeth and trimming 6 sets of furry feet, and combing Bo's coat out.
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
I didn't know they can do an ankle replacement, that would be amazing. And scary! Can they do shoulders? I can see myself becoming the Bionic woman. LOL. Oh, I'm learning to put off doing things already in the garden because so much time is spent getting rid of Fairy grass. I have a really bad back tonight but that was from bending over cleaning tartar off 6 sets of doggy teeth and trimming 6 sets of furry feet, and combing Bo's coat out.

Yep! DH us scheduled for such a surgery...
Old January 14th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Really? Ankles and shoulders must be very complicated operations, I must Google them and learn more about them. Must say your DH has my sympathy if he actually needs one, I know what shoulder pain can be like. Does he have a date set for his op, Mirela? And ankles? Well, you need to stand on them - say no more. Ouch!
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Time for some more flowers. First here is a rose I only bought today, Silver Ghost. I just love the singles.
Rudbeckia Cherry Brandy.
Sunflower Double Delight.
Attached Images

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Gladioli again.
Apricot Nectar bud.
Nasturtiums.
Attached Images

Old January 21st, 2012, 10:33 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Gorgeous roses GF!!! I like the singles, too--the wild ones are singles and because they're natives, they thrive in my gardens. Unlike cultivated roses that are doomed in hazel's hands... Wow, and that nasturtium is a knockout, too!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor

I love nasturtiums, Hazel. One favorite childhood memory is my grandfather's nasturtiums growing in the sun beside his old brick kitchen chimney. He had a massive cottage garden, yet I only clearly recollect the nasturtiums. And sunflowers.
Don't worry, I'm starting to think that cultivated roses are doomed in my hands too, I've lost a lot this year. Mind you, it's been the worst year ever for Black Spot, and funnily enough, too dry in the Spring .... and they've been neglected because we're too busy trying to control that cursed Fairy grass.
I must get to bed, very late here and I have to be up early to water the garden. No rest for the wicked. LOL.
Old January 21st, 2012, 08:28 PM
owned by Tucker

beautiful flowers as always, just what I needed to warm up a winters day thanks Goldfields
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

My pleasure, doggy lover. The garden is suffering from the heat a bit now so my photo's could tail off a bit, we'll see. It was 35C today and the next week is supposedly like this. 35C, 36C, 35C, 34C 36C, 33C and 30C. Can't wait for next Sunday. 30C is just nice for Summer.

The Children's Rose.
Kiss Me Quick, proper name Centranthus ruber. Valerian also.
Cosmos.
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Love the Kiss Me Quick! And its name, too.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Fragrant Plum.
Smooth Buttercup.
Rudbeckia, Prairie Sun (?)

One has to wonder how Kiss Me Quick got its name. LOL.
Attached Images

Old January 22nd, 2012, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

The colour washed out a bit due to strong sunlight but the little visitor on The Nun stands out.
Dainty little Pelargonium, whose name eludes me at the moment.
Another dainty little Pelargonium(geranium??), reminds me of a small red rosebud before it opens.
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Lavender Pinnochio.
Sutters Gold, a disappointing rose in that in hot weather it can be a bud in the morning and a crisped mess by evening.
Silver Ghost again.
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Beautiful roses, GF! I'll bet the garden smells heavenly!

Old January 23rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

It's a very large, spread out garden, so not that perfumed. Of course if I could fill it right up .....

Thought I'd show two photo's here of the same rose, taken under different weather conditions. This is Brass Band taken back in November and the second one is taken now, in hot weather . Just Joey is another that has dramatic changes like that.

Third, for a sunshiny effect for you all, is Tantau's Bernstein Rose.
Attached Images

Old January 23rd, 2012, 11:39 PM

My God, how do you remember all the names of the flowers? I'm lucky if I remember my own name. My well would be dry watering all of them. What would be your favorite one out of all of them? You only get to pick one.
Old January 24th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Before I got into roses, lindapalm, I did wonder how my sister remembered the names of hers. Easy enough if you really love them. I used to be able to rattle off TB racehorse pedigrees when I worked on studs and in racing stables, ditto for dog pedigrees when I was showing and breeding them, and flowers are something I've liked since childhood even if I've been too busy to grow them sometimes.

I could not have had this garden prior to the Wimmera/Mallee pipeline being laid. When we only had the house dam to rely on it would have been impossible, but by them getting rid of the old open channel system where they lost an enormous amount of water through evaporation, the water savings mean we don't have any restrictions and can use what we can afford to pay for. (I don't know yet whether I can afford this garden. )
If I only get to pick one flower as my favorite it might be the rose called Fourth of July. Bit of a toss up with two other beautiful striped roses, Soaring Spirits (money for the sale of which goes towards the memorial garden where the Twin Towers stood) and Cabana. The first 2 photo's here are Fourth of July, showing the variety you can get in different flowers and the other is Soaring Spirits. Please note that every other plant in the garden is my SECOND favorite.
Attached Images

Old January 24th, 2012, 10:48 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I can see why the striped roses are your faves!! Those are breathtaking!

Old January 24th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Senior Contributor

See why those two might have the edge on Cabana, Hazel? Both are singles, and both have lovely stamens ... but Cabana never has a bad bloom on it.
Attached Images

Old January 24th, 2012, 09:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I think I could settle for the cabanas, though, too!

Old January 24th, 2012, 09:58 PM

I can see why it is your first choice, the varigation is beautiful.
Old January 25th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Love the flecking on that first rose, lindapalm, but really, I couldn't do without any of those 3, they'd have to be replaced if I lost them. Actually, I thought I did lose Fourth of July, my first one suffered die back from the minute I got it and got down to a bunch of leaves at ground level. So I told the company and they gave , no, they sold me a replacement very cheap, and so far the first one is still hanging in there. If it suddenly came to life I think I'd pay them the difference between the cheap price and the normal price for the second one , the rose is worth it.

Cabana is just a dream for anyone who likes something pink and pretty. Now another stripey I mightn't bother to replace is Abracadabra, it's colouring has more shock value maybe? Sometimes it will put out a solid brick red rose, or a yellow one.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.36427
Old January 25th, 2012, 09:13 PM

The red in that picture is so deep, very unusual.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

It really is an unusual red, I agree, lindapalm.
I'll post a couple of photo's I took up at a friend's farm now. First the beautiful pink rose, Redoute. It's been added to my wish list.

Second is a Hymenocallis(sp?), or Spider Lily she has flowering. I have those, though maybe a slightly different one, my leaves are different and it hasn't flowered yet.
Third is just one of my own, Apricot Nectar.
Attached Images

Old January 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Just Joey.
Nice little pelargonium I'd forgotten I had given to me.
Gaillardia.
Attached Images