Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old May 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM

SSRi's for cats

Hi,

I'm a new member here and hoping I can get some feedback.

I have an elderly cat (16 years) who has separation anxiety. This is something she may have always had a bit of, but it's gotten bad the last few months. She starts hollering even when I just step outside for a few minutes. I am home all the time, so this isn't much of a problem at the moment, but I will be going to work soon, and was planning a trip and am wanting to board her. I used to use a cat sitter, but I don't think she would do well all alone 23 hours a day.

Anyway, I've been considering an anti-depressant. Celexa in particular, since I am on this one and really like it. I'm just wondering what you all thought of this, and if anyone has some experience using Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitors in your cats.

I found one or two blurbs on the web about paxil, one place even provided a cat dose. Paxil doses are comparable to celexa for the purposes of substitution. I'm thinking about starting her on a tiny dose, at least half of the recommendation provided. Of course, I will probably see a Vet first. Just looking for some similar experiences.

Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2010, 10:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Please do not give any medications to your cat without a trip to the vet first! 1/2 of what you take for a dosage may put your kitty in a catatonic (no pun intended) state. She is at best 1/10 of your size. At worse medicating your cat without a vet's advise may kill her.
Have you checked into Feliway? It is a calming agent for cats which is plugged into a socket. It is pheremone based. Your vet should carry it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 29th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Kitty pimp

i second 14+ cats do not!!!reaact to drugs like humans do!ask your vet
Old May 30th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Anti-depressants are very serious medicaiton that should never be administered to a human being or a pet without medical direction and supervision.
Cat's bodies are built differently than human bodies and their chemical make up is different as well. What is ok for a human can be fatally dangerous to a cat.

DO NOT GIVE THIS TO YOUR CAT

Please call a vet to discuss what options may be available to you.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Hi,

I found one or two blurbs on the web about paxil, one place even provided a cat dose. Paxil doses are comparable to celexa for the purposes of substitution. I'm thinking about starting her on a tiny dose, at least half of the recommendation provided. Of course, I will probably see a Vet first. Just looking for some similar experiences.

Thanks!
Hi. Thanks for the replies.

Actually, as I've bolded above, I said I might try half (or less) of a CAT dose (0.25mg/lb), not half of my dose! Yikes.

I was a Vet Assistant for 18 years and am now an RN, so I am aware of medication implications in both humans and animals, and the chemical differences between the two.

I was just looking for some feedback from others who might have their cats on this class of medication and what their experiences have been. SSRI's are commonly prescribed to cats with stress and anxiety disorders.

I have tried feliway, with not much success.

Thanks again.
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Kitty pimp

well you are still not a vet see a vet first
Old May 30th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Since you are an RN you must be aware of the effect that SSRI's have on the body and brain. you cant just 'go off' SSRI's, as it may cause severe withdrawals. There are a lot of serious side effects as well (as u must be aware of). But you still came to the board to ask, so you must have some uneasiness about it, so please get in touch with a vet. SSRI's are not the type of meds like tylenol that u can jsut give to someone and it acts right away, it works on a long term basis and therefore also has long term consequences.... please see a vet before administering any meds to your cat.

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old May 31st, 2010, 01:47 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If that is the case then you know that a vet visit is in order before administering any drugs. Just as a doctor's visit is in order for humans.
The only times I have heard of cats being put on calming medications almost every person had the same complaint. It turned the cat into zombies. AG had Czari on meds for a while. I think she had a good experience. But she was in contact with her vet every step of the way.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
If that is the case then you know that a vet visit is in order before administering any drugs. Just as a doctor's visit is in order for humans.
The only times I have heard of cats being put on calming medications almost every person had the same complaint. It turned the cat into zombies. AG had Czari on meds for a while. I think she had a good experience. But she was in contact with her vet every step of the way.
Hi 14+kitties,

Thank you for the reply. My cat has had a fairly recent complete workup and clean bill of health a couple months ago.
The 'calming meds' you mention are most likely benzodiazepenes such as Valium. Yes, they are very sedating. This was the class of drugs mainly used in dogs and cats for anxiety and behavior disorders before the advent of SSRI's in Vet medicine. SSRI's are not sedatives, and generally not at all sedating when given in the right dose.

I was just hoping to find some members here who have had their cats specifically on SSRI's (paxil, prozac, zoloft, etc.), and if they were effective.

Thanks anyway.
Old June 1st, 2010, 10:05 AM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
This is something she may have always had a bit of, but it's gotten bad the last few months. She starts hollering even when I just step outside for a few minutes.
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. My cat has had a fairly recent complete workup and clean bill of health a couple months ago.
If this behavior has increased/gotten worse since her last vet visit, I'd recommend another especially considering your cat's age. What tests did the vet run last time?
Old June 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
If this behavior has increased/gotten worse since her last vet visit, I'd recommend another especially considering your cat's age. What tests did the vet run last time?
My exact thoughts LP. As for humans, things change daily. Great advice.