Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old January 4th, 2004, 11:53 AM
banned user

LR can you answer a question?

There is a part PBT in our humane society. In Winnipeg you aren't allowed to have PBT's. I will post a link (if i can) But maybe there might be something you all can do..since you know the society?

http://www.humanesociety.mb.ca/84134.html
Old January 4th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm in Quebec, but even if this dog were closer, there really is not much to be done.

There is a terrible shortage of pit bull rescues in Canada, and many of them elsewhere will not take mixes, as they can be problematic by not having the natural submission towards people that purebred pits have.
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hey LR can u explain that to me about the natural submission thing please

Lord knows I need to know as much about it as possible hahah
Actually just looking for some tips, because I have such high exposure to them at the shelter. Lots of mixes come in, mostly sheppard or lab mixed in with them.
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Originally, when pit bulls were bred only to fight in pits, they had to be able to be safely handled by the so-called "dog men" (aka scumbags and sadists)

A dog who would turn on his owner or handler would be instantly disposed of - given a "dirt nap" as they so charmingly put it. This way, these dogs developed a great inhibition against biting humans, even in the heat of a fight.

This is why breaking sticks can be used successfully on fighting pit bulls, but not on other breeds who would most likely bite the person trying to break the fight.

However, we now have people - lowlifes - encouraging human aggression - but it's not a natural trait of this breed.

Mixing pit bulls with guardian breeds like Mastiffs has also become popular. This is a very bad idea, because you can end up with a dog who has the determination and drive of a pit bull, but no inhibition against biting or attacking people. VERY bad combination, which, sadly, is exactly what these people want.

The worst part is that when these dogs DO attack, they are inevitably identified by the media as "pit bulls".

"Proper temperament" for a pit bull is submissive to all humans, and intolerant or aggressive to other dogs and maybe other animals too.

Personally, I would like to see the dog aggression bred out of the breed - they would be so much easier to adopt out.
Old January 4th, 2004, 02:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You are one smart cookie!!

Have you thought about giving lectures on the breed to educate people or writing a colum in Dogs Dogs Dogs?

I would never have known that information. I dont think the staff at the shelter do either.

So what you're saying is I need to be more careful with the mixes then the ones that are pits. Thing is, the staff just 'guess' if they're pure or not, half the time it's all guess work.

There is no way of really knowing is there ?

Isnt' the pit a mix itself actually though? I thought (and w/o doing and research I'm sticking my neck out on this one) pits are a mix of a Staffordshire Terrier and Bull Terrier? Am I wrong?

Old January 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Senior Contributor

K Luba I have my trusty Dogs Annuel in front of me.Which you should pick up.It is a great book.They usually have them at the pets stores.Like Petsmart.There is the American Pitbull Terrier.And the American Staffordshire Terrier.And the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.The American Pit originated from the bull and terrier types.The same with the staffordshire terrier.The stafordshire bull terrier is much smaller then the other 2.Ans was mixed with the smaller mastiff breeds And the old english mastiff.Hope that helped you a bit Luba.
Old January 4th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OHHHH thank you dear

I was kinda sorta close huh

Sounds like I should pick that book up, I'll look for a copy somewhere free LMFHO
Old January 5th, 2004, 01:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Hehe - thanks Luba! Actually, my dog Chloe does more for the breed's reputation than I ever could!

Yes, Pit bulls were originally a mix of the English White Terrier and Bulldogs. The name "pit bull" is rather generic, and can mean any dog used in dogfights.

All dog breeds were once mixes, or crosses, as breeders strove to get a dog for a particular purpose, but after it's bred true for a number of generations it is recognized as a breed on it's own.

As for the dogs in the shelter - no there really is no way to be 100% sure of their breed, as pit bulls come in so many different sizes and colours. I can usually spot what I am pretty sure is a purebred, but again not 100%.

I'm not saying the pit mixes should not be trusted or adopted out - many of them are very sweet and wonderful dogs, depending on what they are mixed with. It just depends which traits the dog has gotten from the two different breeds. It may very well have the best of both!
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:28 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So nothing to do with the Staffordshire terrier then?
Old January 5th, 2004, 11:41 AM
Senior Contributor

The American Staffordshire Terrier is basically a pit bull in ever-so-slightly different clothes. It's also what many people call their dogs when they don't want to say "pit bull."

You will love this site, and it'll explain the different breed names to you!
AmStaff? Pit bull?
Old January 5th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

That is an amazing site!!

The things I thought I knew, I was wrong and I'm happy to be educated on them now.

Now when people ask me at the shelter I can pretend I actually know something about them LMFHO!!

THANKS LR!!