Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:30 AM

*my cat is in the hospital* please help

My 1 and 1/2 year old cat is currently in the hospital. He has vomited since he was a kitten. I always thought he just had a sensitive stomach. He's also very sensitive to change; ex: moving to a new home or new people being in our home. When this would happen, he would stop eating or start vomiting immediately after eating. This past week however he stopped eating altogether and was very lethargic. I waited 2 days and took him to the vet. On my first trip to the vet, she could find nothing seriously wrong. She confirmed he had a fever, took X-rays (everything looked normal), send out blood for tests, gave him a fluid injection, and sent him home with a script. I tried that night to get my cat to eat to no avail. He seemed sickened by food. He would smell it and walk away crying. The next morning I woke up to him defacating outside of his box. I knew this was a sign of him being seriously ill. I immediately took him to the emergency vet. The emergenncy vet got his blood tests from the lab, and said the only thing wrong with his blood was the he was postive for FIP. Although, they said this also wasn't a guaranteed result. They have kept him overnight.. force feeding him, he's on an IV, and anti-biotics. The vet also thought he may have a blockage in his intestine. Can anyone help? I have been reading about FIP online, and I'm truly hoping this is not what he has. Could it be stress? Anything I should ask the vet? Anything I could have them test for in him?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 01:36 AM

sounds to me like your cat is in good hands and is being well taken care of

hoping for the best for your cat.................
Old August 23rd, 2004, 05:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Doldrum,I can give nothing but moral support to you and poor kitty,I wish our animals never had to get sick,but unfortunately they do and I know exactly how you feel.It's bad enough when an older cat gets sick...but a little one who has not yet really lived,is so very unfair.
I get mixed up with FIV and FIP,but someone else here,could probably give you some advice.
I know one thing for sure,you are doing everything a loving kitty-owner should,hopefully you'll bring us some good news soon.
What does the vet say about kittys chances?
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm sooo sorry to hear about your kitty. I have no experience with this but you've done the right thing by getting him to the vet. He's where he'll get what he needs. We'll try to give you the support you need. Keep us updated.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

It's very difficult to positively diagnose FIP, but has to be considered as a cause for fever of unknown origin.

The prognosis is poor, since once FIP takes hold, organ damage can result, particularly of the kidneys and liver.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty, and hope for the best.
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM

Hey,
I completely know how you feel about your kitty being ill. I've had some bad luck with animals. My kitten Lucy died when she was run over a few years ago - she was only about six months old. Both my puppy and my hamster are kinda poorly now too, so I totally sympathise and understand what you're going through. I hope your kitty gets better, at least he's in the right place!